News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Next upgrade package is one that hasn't yet been discussed here, and hasn't been decided on either:

1705414635583.png

From the survey linked below:

1705415171835.png

1705415290773.png

Both options improve on the status quo, but option 2 is markedly better. UT'ers take the survey and advocate; there will be some local opposition to removing 30 parking spots, so people in support of this will need to say so; most especially if you live/work nearby.

Here's your survey link:

1705415257139.png

College bike lanes are completed and looking nice:
Unfortunately they are not quite "complete" despite the city claiming substantial completion in a recent email update.

Your video doesn't go east to Spadina, where the last block before the switch to curb-protection has no bike lanes or infrastructure of any kind. This is a narrow section, due to the streetcar loading platforms in the roadway, which likely prevents protected lanes from being installed. But it's still a downgrade from a few months ago when we had at least painted lanes and a green bike box eastbound at the College/Spadina intersection.

My queries to the non-responsive "Senior Public Consultation Coordinator" have gone unanswered, and no one seems to know whether those lanes are just delayed or not happening at all.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and having a busy, narrow lane with zero infra right in the middle of a new project is the definition of a weak link.

If anyone knows anything about this big oversight, please share!

Attachments

• PXL_20240110_203405895.jpg
    PXL_20240110_203405895.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 12
With University needing resurfacing, was there no way to integrate/ future proof for University Park?

Officially, University Park, south of College, is not yet a City project, north of College, we shall see.

Transportation Services, I think it would be fair to say, lacks enthusiasm for the project.

So, no, not really. * some bits have been, see below.

To be completely fair, if University Park is delivered over this stretch, just about everything will be rearranged.

I will note, however, some underground utilities that were moved have considered the possible future park in their placement.

Next upgrade package is one that hasn't yet been discussed here, and hasn't been decided on either:

View attachment 533542

From the survey linked below:

View attachment 533546

View attachment 533548

Both options improve on the status quo, but option 2 is markedly better. UT'ers take the survey and advocate; there will be some local opposition to removing 30 parking spots, so people in support of this will need to say so; most especially if you live/work nearby.

Here's your survey link:

View attachment 533547
Thanks for sharing. Responded to the survey.

I used to cycle and drive on Jones quite often up until the pandemic. Since our office moved to Kingston Rd in Scarborough and moving from Jones/Danforth to Woodbine/Danforth, I rarely use Jones at all. But when I did cycle on Jones, I never found it to be too bad. Not great with potential doorings and poor road surface, but as Jones isn't as busy as some of the other main north-south roads between the Don and Woodbine, I never felt unsafe riding in the bike lanes in relation to vehicular traffic. Still, upgrades to cycle tracks are always welcome.

Unfortunately they are not quite "complete" despite the city claiming substantial completion in a recent email update.

Your video doesn't go east to Spadina, where the last block before the switch to curb-protection has no bike lanes or infrastructure of any kind. This is a narrow section, due to the streetcar loading platforms in the roadway, which likely prevents protected lanes from being installed. But it's still a downgrade from a few months ago when we had at least painted lanes and a green bike box eastbound at the College/Spadina intersection.

My queries to the non-responsive "Senior Public Consultation Coordinator" have gone unanswered, and no one seems to know whether those lanes are just delayed or not happening at all.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and having a busy, narrow lane with zero infra right in the middle of a new project is the definition of a weak link.

If anyone knows anything about this big oversight, please share!
Update from the finally responsive consultation coordinator, Nathalie. Probably had to run this up the chain to get an approved reply:

Thank you for being so patient and bringing this matter to our attention regarding the section of the bike lane from Augusta Avenue to Spadina Avenue.

We can confirm that the section you mentioned is narrower in that specific stretch, accommodating the TTC stop. As a result, there is no planned new separation for the bike lane in that area.
The existing bike lane configuration will be maintained as previously established, similar to the Bathurst Street section you've noted.

Please be advised that due to the current winter weather conditions, the reapplication of pavement markings in that area has been scheduled to take place in spring 2024.

So, basically, they didn't get the lines done before winter. Odd as it's probably the easiest part of this whole project. And they could have mentioned this in their prior update, but somehow forgot. Oh well. To the spring!

I think it’s quite heartening to see all the progress on bike lanes in Toronto in the past few years. Of course, we’re still behind Montreal but it seems to be getting taken more seriously with more proper separation from car traffic, which to me, as both a driver and an occasional recreational cyclist, is the most important thing. I dislike them being mixed, but even a narrow line on a road is better than nothing, and full separation is the benchmark we should be aiming for as much as possible and wherever feasible.

unfortunately Mississauga is still stuck on the painted line on a a road stage. But with our side roads, we have more space to work with in the future. But it’s a long process.

unfortunately Mississauga is still stuck on the painted line on a a road stage. But with our side roads, we have more space to work with in the future. But it’s a long process.
Hard disagree. Mississauga has a pretty extensive network of MUPs and off-street cycle paths. They have made really good progress expanding this network and adding cross-rides/bicycle signals in the past few years. Yes, there are some 'painted bicycle gutters' but they tend to be on more minor streets with lower traffic volumes. Still, lots of room for improvement.

Hard disagree. Mississauga has a pretty extensive network of MUPs and off-street cycle paths. They have made really good progress expanding this network and adding cross-rides/bicycle signals in the past few years. Yes, there are some 'painted bicycle gutters' but they tend to be on more minor streets with lower traffic volumes. Still, lots of room for improvement.
The old MUPs are great, but are not the same as on-street protected lanes. They are basically wide sidewalks along 2 or 3 major east-west thoroughfares, and some patchier north-south ones. Writ large, cycling in Missisauga if you need to get anywhere that's not on those aforementioned MUPs, or along the waterfront is a scary stroad-filled mess.

Given the discussion above; what say the masses:

"Should all GTA cycle tracks be discussed in this thread, or should additional threads be set up for those in different suburban areas? "

In the mean time........for our friends 'out west'........... This is what Mississauga currently has underway according to its website:

1705592206512.png

1705592247680.png

1705592286483.png

I asked Becky Katz today if/when the City will upgrade the Martin Goodman Trail from Polson Street to Unwin Street. There is the great new trail on west side of New Cherry south to Polson and then it is a bit of a mess. Crossing the Ship Channel will always be a squeeze and then one needs to cross to east side of Cherry, where trail is not in great shape. Ideally the trail would continue for can 200 meters on west side of Cherry between bridge and Unwin and the short block from Polson to bridge would be tidied up.

Her response, they will look at the section south of Polson and north of bridge for 2025. Too bad nothing in 2024 but ...

I asked Becky Katz today if/when the City will upgrade the Martin Goodman Trail from Polson Street to Unwin Street. There is the great new trail on west side of New Cherry south to Polson and then it is a bit of a mess. Crossing the Ship Channel will always be a squeeze and then one needs to cross to east side of Cherry, where trail is not in great shape. Ideally the trail would continue for can 200 meters on west side of Cherry between bridge and Unwin and the short block from Polson to bridge would be tidied up.

Her response, they will look at the section south of Polson and north of bridge for 2025. Too bad nothing in 2024 but ...
In addition to this, the trail as such through the woods along the lake heading east towards the spit is rubbish. Root-break-through and general degradation has made it a bumpy ride. It's also always been too narrow and windy for safe biking, unless you really slow down through here. Needs a re-do, repaving and hopefully widening to improve passing and sight-lines. Would also love to see a stop sign for vehicles on Regatta Road, rather than expecting trail users yield.

Reactions: PL1
In addition to this, the trail as such through the woods along the lake heading east towards the spit is rubbish. Root-break-through and general degradation has made it a bumpy ride. It's also always been too narrow and windy for safe biking, unless you really slow down through here. Needs a re-do, repaving and hopefully widening to improve passing and sight-lines. Would also love to see a stop sign for vehicles on Regatta Road, rather than expecting trail users yield.
The MGT along the lake is not perfect and a few spots need to be resurfaced as tree roots are breaking through but it is not ever supposed to be a 401 for cyclists and pedestrians and, personally, I like its twists and turns. There currently ARE STOP signs for vehicles @ Regatta Road and in my experience most vehicles stop but it is obviously good to look before cycling across. If anything, the City should paint some lines on the street to reinforce the signage. (I have just sent in a request for lines to 311, we will see if any appear in summer!)

The windy part between Cherry Beach and the little bridge is the best part of the whole downtown waterfront trail (that and the spit of course). And yes, regatta road is a four way stop, but the it's not very prominent in markings or signage.

1705677121164.png

Back