News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There is the Beltline Trail (officially Kay Gardner Beltline Park) running parallel to Eglinton between the Allan Road and Chaplin Crescent. Bicyclists could bypass that section and could also use Castlefield to continue their trips. The Beltline Trail is missing a bridge over the Allen Road, which would continue it to at least Caledonia Road. If done properly they cold connect the Beltline as part of a bike lane/path network along Eglinton.
I'm not really a fan of the beltline for commuting purposes. The path's surface is uneven and full of branches so you can't go very fast. Also, you have to detour to a traffic light at the Oriole/Avenue/Bathurst grade crossings. Getting over the Allen isn't that bad though since Roselawn has bike lanes, and the York Beltline Trail continues to Caledonia.

There is the Beltline Trail (officially Kay Gardner Beltline Park) running parallel to Eglinton between the Allan Road and Chaplin Crescent. Bicyclists could bypass that section and could also use Castlefield to continue their trips. The Beltline Trail is missing a bridge over the Allen Road, which would continue it to at least Caledonia Road. If done properly they cold connect the Beltline as part of a bike lane/path network along Eglinton.

Has anyone every thought of building the bridge over the Allen Road . . . . . . and then allowing SB cars to exit Allen north of Eglinton to access Bathurst and Chaplin. Not sure it the beltline is wide enough for 2 traffic lanes and 2 bicycle lanes though - so maybe only one-way of car traffic.

A win for bicycles since it connect the Beltway from Caledonia to Yonge.
A win for cars since it reduces the bottleneck at the bottom of Allen.
A win for Eglinton since it diverts downtown bound traffic away from taking Eglinton.

an easy fix for traffic on the Allen IMO is to simply introduce a second left turn lane.

The problem though is that eglinton is at capacity. Only so many cars can use it at one time. Either cars are going to be stuck on the Allen or on eglinton. There is no magical solution that will fix the congestion issue. Fixing one problem just makes another.

There are a number of McMansions just north of Eglinton on Allen.

They would of course oppose the addition of traffic there.

Took a half hour this AM to try and figure out the design parameters that seem to be ruling this project. Google shows me that both Yonge and Eglinton are 5 lanes wide where they intersect. Eglinton has no Left turn lanes marked on the pavement and allows no left turns at any time, Yonge street similarly has no left turn lanes marked on the pavement but signage does allow left turns outside of rush hour. Would this not indicate that the traffic gurus consider Eglinton the busier of the 2 streets yet they are comfortable with restricting it to 2 lanes and a 3rd lane to facilitate left turns that are not allowed today. Go figure.

These same gurus have decided that the folks on Leslie street will be denied bus service to an LRT station that they may be able to see but not access on a bus unless they are happy boarding a north bound bus ( don't know where it turns) and back tracking a mile or so to Don Mills and Eglinton because a bus/LRT interface at the logical location was just too problematic to waste time on.

? what are you talking about for Leslies? the bus makes the connection at Laird. a surface station is a horrible transfer point as you can't use a bus terminal.

I think the practicality of Eglinton as a bike path is really secondary - the message being conveyed at Eglinton Connects meetings was: we can make this a better street for local use including pedestrians and cyclists, or we can make it a freeway. The LRT means that they can move many more people on Eglinton with the same amount of space for private cars *and* add bike lanes and in some places wider sidewalks. The vision goes beyond bike lanes to increasing density by giving automatic approval to projects around 5 stories for the entire length of the LRT. The renderings of the Golden Mile's imagined transformation are mind blowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfMgPhGr0mE

From Marlee, west of the Allen, to Avenue, the best bike route is Roselawn which connects and avoids many of the big hills in the area. But if there were separated bike lanes on Eglinton I would absolutely use them - I really enjoy biking in areas with storefronts and activity on the streets vs residential areas.

I think the practicality of Eglinton as a bike path is really secondary - the message being conveyed at Eglinton Connects meetings was: we can make this a better street for local use including pedestrians and cyclists, or we can make it a freeway. The LRT means that they can move many more people on Eglinton with the same amount of space for private cars *and* add bike lanes and in some places wider sidewalks. The vision goes beyond bike lanes to increasing density by giving automatic approval to projects around 5 stories for the entire length of the LRT. The renderings of the Golden Mile's imagined transformation are mind blowing.

From Marlee, west of the Allen, to Avenue, the best bike route is Roselawn which connects and avoids many of the big hills in the area. But if there were separated bike lanes on Eglinton I would absolutely use them - I really enjoy biking in areas with storefronts and activity on the streets vs residential areas.

Will Eglinton actually be reduced to 2 lanes in each direction through the Golden Mile, as seen in the rendering?

Can someone steer me to a link that lays out the bus route changes that the new LTR will precipitate?
Thank you.

I hope that grass (the lawn type) will be used for the right-of-way... unless the NIMBYs get upset that firetrucks and emergency vehicles will not be able to use the road. (But then with fewer firetrucks because of the budget cuts, that might not be such a problem. Let them burn.)

Yes this study is more than bike lanes. It's also about how & where future development will occur.

I like the bike lanes and will use them (currently I use side streets parallel to Eglinton like Broadway when biking), however, I'm more excited about the idea of big trees along the sidewalks in terms of improving the way the street looks and making it more walkable.

I believe the very short middle section is planned for wide sidewalks, bike lanes, 3 lanes (one in each direction + turn lane), and a parking lane. If it really is a problem then I'd hope they simply turn the parking lane into a car lane and have 2 in each direction, keeping the bike lanes and other improvements.

Back