News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I suspect at this point they'll need to justify the cost or drop it so hoping we'll hear more details soon - it does seem ridiculous at first glance

Reactions: DSC
Great - watch it get indefinitely deferred now in classic Toronto style.
Well they've closed the current trail at Dundas and Sterling for a while now so I guess we won't have the new addition or access to the existing trail (even though they were supposed to be starting construction shortly)

Last edited:

Excellent post, excellent interview from Matlow

- He supports the project, but the price makes no sense

- Metrolinx not transparent; he wants an itemized accounting of the dollars.

- He noted a much larger project in Vancouver, for about the same cost, I believe he was meaning the one to convert the old rail corridor on Vancouver Island to a bike trail, which envisions a budget of 172M for 289km of trail!

A cost of $596,000 per km.

Deferred for a decade, and then it will cost even more

Deferral is not the answer, holding Mx to account and getting the price charged to the City here reduced by at least 1/2 if not 2/3 is what needs to happen.

Deferral is not the answer, holding Mx to account and getting the price charged to the City here reduced by at least 1/2 if not 2/3 is what needs to happen.
Yes, but will it?
The typical Toronto outcome is that this will not get build any time soon.
I for one would rather have a cost-inflated railpath than no railpath

Is it possible Metrolinx is billing the City for land acquisition, in the sense that they are handing this over to them when, even if only theoretically, they could use it for anything?

Is it possible Metrolinx is billing the City for land acquisition, in the sense that they are handing this over to them when, even if only theoretically, they could use it for anything?

That is definitely a possibility, but to be clear, The trail itself is on Mx owned rail corridor, so any property takings would be, if needed, for bridge piers or access points.

There is no surplus land, that I'm aware of to be added to this project, so if an entire parcel were taken, I would expect proceeds of sale of the extra to be deducted from this project.

There are other things I believe are likely in the project budget that to my mind do not belong there. But I won't say too much, except work is underway to obtain that information.

^ Bradford was on Newstalk this morning about the topic and the last question was what he may do about this. He basically said the timing is awkward because there isn't a Council meeting for a while and he's not sure what contracts have been signed. Is there any public information on the status of any contacts being signed? Would this be a 2/3 vote at Council to stop or delay it, or just the majority?

I suspect at this point they'll need to justify the cost or drop it so hoping we'll hear more details soon - it does seem ridiculous at first glance
Drop it. Take that $150 million and build curb separated bike lanes across the city. Focus on saving cyclist lives while in traffic.

^ you may not have all of that 150 million dollars to spend. Apparently 15% is coming from the federal government and so that proposal may not fit within their program parameters.

^ you may not have all of that 150 million dollars to spend. Apparently 15% is coming from the federal government and so that proposal may not fit within their program parameters.
True. But we could ask the Feds to redirect their contribution to overall cyclist safety, as I propose.

Back