News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

The cost escalation is unconscionable, but so is the timeline creep. From the Star article linked upthread:
Work on the extension is set to begin in mid-2025 and take three years.

This project seems to be perpetually a year or two away from construction. Back in 2010, there was hope that the railpath extension could be open for the Pan Am games in 2015. In 2016, construction was supposed to start in 2017. In 2020, construction was supposed to start in 2021 or 2022. The city's page still says construction will start in 2023. Now they're saying 2025.

Even when construction gets started, Metrolinx wants to take three years to build it. It took all of three years to build the entire UP Express, including four stations, and a 3km elevated guideway. Yes, there are bridges that add some complexity, but still, three years for a fully designed and funded trail?

My fear is that after all this waiting, we'll get another delay while the cost escalation gets sorted out. We do need transparency on costs, but also I want to know more details on the construction timeline. The city should be asking Metrolinx what it would take to build it in two years instead of three.

Reminder that the Railpath isn't just a "bike path", or "bike trail", or "bike infrastructure". That's one part of it. It's always been a pedestrian corridor, park, event space, learning space, nature corridor........ Treating it just like a really expensive bike lane is not quite right.

That said, I'm also curious about how that HUGE cost was calculated. Would love to see an itemized list of costs. There's a lot more required here than just scraping up some grass, dumping gravel, and topping off with asphalt. There's probably going to be grading, retaining walls, sound walls, lighting, other utility moves(?), drainage, landscaping.... Wonder how much of that cost is dedicated to landscaping, art, etc....more than just the basics of getting a path through there.

Reminder that the Railpath isn't just a "bike path", or "bike trail", or "bike infrastructure". That's one part of it. It's always been a pedestrian corridor, park, event space, learning space, nature corridor........ Treating it just like a really expensive bike lane is not quite right.

True. However, the corridor already exists, off-road bike trails (basic) are being built elsewhere in Canada for under 1M per km. Clearly the bridges here will skew that number up, and there are other add-ons, the most notable is lighting, but the absolute cost here does not make sense for what is proposed to be delivered, and its not close either.

That said, I'm also curious about how that HUGE cost was calculated. Would love to see an itemized list of costs.

Efforts are being made to find this out.

There's a lot more required here than just scraping up some grass, dumping gravel, and topping off with asphalt.

True.

There's probably going to be grading, retaining walls, sound walls, lighting, other utility moves(?), drainage, landscaping.... Wonder how much of that cost is dedicated to landscaping, art, etc....more than just the basics of getting a path through there.

With the asterisk that I haven't seen the detailed working drawings.....

- No retaining walls should be required except where new stairwells/ramps are being built.

- Drainage is a given, and not expensive for how this would be handled here.

- Lighting is included and does cost $$, but we're in the low single-digit millions for 2km, at most.

- Landscaping, most of the Rail path before was done with seed mix, a few caliper trees and shrubs, I have yet to see a species, and plant plan for the extension, but this shouldn't be more than 3-5M.
A caliper sized tree,installed is about $750, so 100 would cost $75,000, provide the same budget for shrubs and the same for plugs of ferns/grasses/wildlfowers and seed mix and you get to just shy of a $250,000, but that excludes soil, mulch, landscape plan, seating etc.

- The sound walls/crash walls are a significant issue as they are not required for the benefit of cyclists/pedestrians, they are arguably required for the rail corridor (trail or no trail) to protect adjacent properties/residents, the cost for these is fairly charged to Mx, not the Rail Path.

The Bridges are the most expensive item, but even a generous cost estimate just doesn't get you to 75M per km, or close.

Last edited:

That said, I'm also curious about how that HUGE cost was calculated. Would love to see an itemized list of costs. There's a lot more required here than just scraping up some grass, dumping gravel, and topping off with asphalt. There's probably going to be grading, retaining walls, sound walls, lighting, other utility moves(?), drainage, landscaping.... Wonder how much of that cost is dedicated to landscaping, art, etc....more than just the basics of getting a path through there.
To people suggesting this multiuse path be dropped after community members have been waiting years for this invaluable accessible connection. Here are a few things to consider:

Many people only feel safe enough to venture out on a bicycle on a path like this, away from cars. Many pedestrians in the surrounding neighbourhoods feel cut off from parts of the city due to the current rail tracks. Having to walk around the railway just to get across makes it difficult to get around. This would also give access to the new Exhibition GO and subway station to communities such as Parkdale who otherwise are quite far away from a subway station. It also allows quicker access to the UP, Bloor GO and Dundas West Station for people.

To people suggesting this multiuse path be dropped after community members have been waiting years for this invaluable accessible connection. Here are a few things to consider:

Many people only feel safe enough to venture out on a bicycle on a path like this, away from cars. Many pedestrians in the surrounding neighbourhoods feel cut off from parts of the city due to the current rail tracks. Having to walk around the railway just to get across makes it difficult to get around. This would also give access to the new Exhibition GO and subway station to communities such as Parkdale who otherwise are quite far away from a subway station. It also allows quicker access to the UP, Bloor GO and Dundas West Station for people.
Of course it SHOULD be built and even Matlow was quite firm about that - the problem is the HUGE (and unexplained) MLX cost.

Sorry if th

Gauge it versus how many people are going to use it? There are probably busier corridors.
I guess you have never been on the existing railpath (prior to its disruption by work on the Bloor GO station). This is a very busy corridor and its extension will be extremely valuable both for recreation and bike commuting

The cost escalation is unconscionable, but so is the timeline creep. From the Star article linked upthread:

This project seems to be perpetually a year or two away from construction. Back in 2010, there was hope that the railpath extension could be open for the Pan Am games in 2015. In 2016, construction was supposed to start in 2017. In 2020, construction was supposed to start in 2021 or 2022. The city's page still says construction will start in 2023. Now they're saying 2025.

Even when construction gets started, Metrolinx wants to take three years to build it. It took all of three years to build the entire UP Express, including four stations, and a 3km elevated guideway. Yes, there are bridges that add some complexity, but still, three years for a fully designed and funded trail?

My fear is that after all this waiting, we'll get another delay while the cost escalation gets sorted out. We do need transparency on costs, but also I want to know more details on the construction timeline. The city should be asking Metrolinx what it would take to build it in two years instead of three.
Unless specific funding is attached, I feel like deadlines have absolutely no meaning in this city, and there are zero consequences to people at the management level of specific projects for repeatedly missing them. Heads should be rolling over this farcial approach to city building.

I will add to the chorus of those asking for an itemized costing. This has been envisioned as happening, and should have been future-proofed for many years. Dramatic price escalations come out of unforeseen major works, and I'm failing to see what the big surprise is.

Back