News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

LOL. Everyone should just bring an old transit report. There's more than enough to go around. Roll one of those up and it can be a pretty lethal weapon, as is my understanding from Bourne Supremacy.

This is silly though that we've been reduced to deciphering a media-created doodle, which in turn was formulated via dribbled out info from a secretive provincial government. Can anyone that has twitter please message one of the people from Metrolinx and ask to see what the real plans are or what they're hiding.
I asked Metrolinx (in 2012) why they didn't consider the south side alignment through Leslie for the ECLRT. When I get a response, I will ask about this subway.

Excuse me for the crudely drawn image, but pretty sure the alignment should be this.

I believe CBC just had the station locations and haphazardly connected the dots

View attachment 179141

This map makes much more sense than the CBC version. Still not sure why they expect it to be cheaper than just following McCowan and having a station at the hospital ..

Achieving that alignment to Lawrence & Kennedy would require demolishing the current Kennedy station, including the Eglinton LRT portion currently under construction. Metrolinx knows full well that moving the LRT station, which is part of a P3, would be very expensive.

If they were to use the Uxbridge corridor, then they could build a new N-S oriented Kennedy station, and abandon the existing station (or maybe use it for emergencies) without demolishing it.

On the other hand, if they go up Midland than the "loop" will not be too big; retaining the existing station may be the simplest option.

This map makes much more sense than the CBC version. Still not sure why they expect it to be cheaper than just following McCowan and having a station at the hospital ..
McCowan Route. 1, relatively gentle 90 degree curve.

This plan (both CBC and Tiger). sharp 135 degree curve, sharp 45 degree curve, sharp 90 degree curve, sharp 90 degree curve.

This plan (both CBC and Tiger). sharp 135 degree curve, sharp 45 degree curve, sharp 90 degree curve, sharp 90 degree curve.

Tiger's map can be modified, to go diagonally from Lawrence & Midland to STC. Then it will have a 135 degree, 45 degree, 45 degree, 45 degree.

But even then, not sure why that route should be chosen over McCowan. Are they trying to design a shallow Lawrence Station?

But even then, not sure why that route should be chosen over McCowan. Are they trying to design a shallow Lawrence Station?
Going shallow at Lawrence wouldn't necessarily require changing the alignment as no matter the alignment it would still need to jump over the highland creek at McCowan and Lawrence, this is unavoidable for a stop there. To me this alignment thing is typical Ford nonsense. He has no idea what he is talking about, and give this alignment I doubt he even knows a damn thing about this area.

Edit: I also got to wonder if its a way to skurt around the Scarborough-Guildwood riding, since it voted Liberal in the Provincial Election and ends at McCowan and Lawrence.

Last edited:
Going shallow at Lawrence wouldn't necessarily require changing the alignment as no matter the alignment it would still need to jump over the highland creek at McCowan and Lawrence, this is unavoidable for a stop there. To me this alignment thing is typical Ford nonsense. He has no idea what he is talking about, and give this alignment I doubt he even knows a damn thing about this area.

Whoever designed the new route, might be thinking that a station at McCowan and Lawrence has to be deep because of the creek, while a station further west may be shallow because the creek is not there. I doubt there is any benefit in that direction, but anyway, trying to understand what they are thinking.

Edit: I also got to wonder if its a way to skurt around the Scarborough-Guildwood riding, since it voted Liberal in the Provincial Election and ends at McCowan and Lawrence.

Doubt it would matter; most of people from either riding would be reaching the Lawrence E station by bus anyway.

Whoever designed the new route, might be thinking that a station at McCowan and Lawrence has to be deep because of the creek, while a station further west may be shallow because the creek is not there.
This then begs the question, why not Brimley? It was one of the 2 main contenders for the extension when it was being planned. Why do they insist on McCowan if they know its just going to make everything more difficult? If you take that map at face value then there won't be a station at McCowan and Lawrence, which was touted because of access to the Hospital. If the Hospital is no longer a factor then the McCowan alignment becomes a moot point, since it no longer has the one thing holding it down.

This then begs the question, why not Brimley? It was one of the 2 main contenders for the extension when it was being planned. Why do they insist on McCowan if they know its just going to make everything more difficult?

I too would explore the Brimley option, as it is shorter than Midland.

However, in the previous round of planning (when it still was to be a 3-stop extension) the TTC short-listed the McCowan and Midland options, and not Brimley. I never understood why, but perhaps they have reasons.

The curves aren’t technically impossible. They look no sharper than the curve at union station. However, they’re still extremely unadvisable. Trains would have to slow down tremendously on those curves, adding significant travel time, especially on the Kennedy curve, which could be more than a kilometre in length. It also induces more ware on the trains and tracks, increasing costs. These were some of the reasons the TTC rejected the proposal when it was first presented several years ago.

Also, I agree that I don’t see this being signifsntly cheaper than the traditional McCowan three stop plan

However, a benefit of this plan is that it will allow for redevelopment of the Kennedy/Lawrence intersection, and perhaps private funding as well

I'd say it should have been parallel to neither.
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my suggested ideas. I listed 3 options in my question:
  1. Parallel to Eglinton, this is pretty self explanatory
  2. Parallel to NE/SW rail corridor, the existing Line 2 trajectory to continue on the now removed rail corridor.
  3. Parallel to N/S rail corridor, SRT/Stouffville corridor.

So let me get this straight. Turns out the cost isn't going up - it's staying at $3.9 billion for 1 station - the same as 3-4 years ago ... but they knew they were lying 3-4 years ago when they said it was going to be $3.2 billion.

Well, good to know the price isn't going up!

Back