News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Can't wait till this thing loops back to Don Mills and Sheppard. All will be at well respecting the people of eastern Toronto suburbs. Meanwhile we will treat those people out west like dirt with a lrt.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my suggested ideas. I listed 3 options in my question:
  1. Parallel to Eglinton, this is pretty self explanatory
  2. Parallel to NE/SW rail corridor, the existing Line 2 trajectory to continue on the now removed rail corridor.
  3. Parallel to N/S rail corridor, SRT/Stouffville corridor.
It's pretty clear to me that the station is located where it is because:
  • It was planned for some extension (well in the future) along Eglnton, or
  • It was located where it disrupted traffic the least.
If they wanted to keep their options open, it would have been under Kennedy more.

So let me get this straight. Turns out the cost isn't going up - it's staying at $3.9 billion for 1 station - the same as 3-4 years ago ... but they knew they were lying 3-4 years ago when they said it was going to be $3.2 billion.

Well, good to know the price isn't going up!

Until we find out they're lying right now about it being $4 billion when in reality it's more like $5 billion. ;)

Until we find out they're lying right now about it being $4 billion when in reality it's more like $5 billion. ;)
I assume the big difference to bring it to almost $4 billion was that the numbers that were released were escalated based on a 2023 opening, and they all knew it was a 2026 opening.

Fortunately, there's no chance the 2026 opening will slip, right? :) :)

Gosh, if the opening slips another 4 years, and they add 2 more stations, it could be more like $6 billion!

Everything is all fun and games and jokes until the cost creep sinks in on other prized subway projects too which you too will all moan has to be built as a subway no matter the cost.

I don't think that finch needs to be subway. I don't think that eglinton needs to be subway. Just because one doesn't see a need for the Scarborough subway doesn't mean they expect subways everywhere else. The relief line is the one line which needs subway but because downtown is in its name Scarborough supporters lose their mind as if everyone who supports it will ever ride it. I don't use yonge and I won't use the drl but that doesn't change my mind that they should be subway. Where as I do use eglinton and I'm OK with a lrt.some of us aren't selfish. We're practical.

I live west of Yonge, and am unlikely to ever take SSE on a regular basis. I still think SSE is a good idea, it will shorten the trips for many residents of Scarborough who travel to other parts of the city.

Regarding the cost: the absolute amount does not matter for me, as long as it is in line with per-km cost of the Relief Line and Yonge North.

Would I reconsider SSE? Yes, in two cases:
- Either the per-km cost of building a subway in Scarborough appears to be much higher than in other parts of the city (because of the soil conditions, or high water table etc). So far I haven't seen any reason to expect that.
- Or, a better alternative becomes available. If the rumors of the RER downtown tunnel are true, then potentially that can lead to a RER connection to Scarborough Centre, instead of the subway. Still a long shot, but who knows ..

I don't think that finch needs to be subway. I don't think that eglinton needs to be subway. Just because one doesn't see a need for the Scarborough subway doesn't mean they expect subways everywhere else. The relief line is the one line which needs subway but because downtown is in its name Scarborough supporters lose their mind as if everyone who supports it will ever ride it. I don't use yonge and I won't use the drl but that doesn't change my mind that they should be subway. Where as I do use eglinton and I'm OK with a lrt.some of us aren't selfish. We're practical.

That's all it really is, isn't it? Practicality.

Scarborough doesn't need a subway. It needs effective transit, including a better GO connection. Sinking $4 billion+ into removing a net total of four rapid transit stops doesn't accomplish that.

I was out in Scarborough near Mccowan and Sheppard on the weekend. Sure this would have served me as a transit user. But you know what else could have. The Sheppard lrt. Instead I drove and went down memory lane (where I grew up) and then thanked God on the way home I moved out of there and into a transit community rather than have stayed in a transit debating circle community.

Can't wait till this thing loops back to Don Mills and Sheppard. All will be at well respecting the people of eastern Toronto suburbs. Meanwhile we will treat those people out west like dirt with a lrt.
Sounds "fair" when you see it this way: Finch West is in-median, line 5 out west will be mostly underground. On the east end, line 5 is in-median, and line 4 doesn't even enter Scarborough.

Effective transit for Scarborough includes reasonable travel times, and that can be helped by extending the subway and reducing transfers.

Remember, Brimley would have endangered SmartTrack math by sucking demand from it more severely than an alignment further east.

Was that the reason to exclude Brimley? I remember that they short-listed both the McCowan and the Midland option. Midland is even closer than Brimley to the Uxbridge Sub / SmartTrack route.

Back