News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Province could do this, but TTC is precluded, because of the restriction of the provincial government to no work on a parallel rapid transit corridor.

I suppose they could pave it and make it a bicycle path or something ...
There is a bike path right beside the tracks but only from kennedy to below lawrence

Even if Vancouver wants to part ways with there Mk.I's we still need to contend with either we run them automatic, or we pair them with the ones we have, the same ones which are falling apart. That doesn't exactly solve the problem. As well we would only be able to pick up something like 28 cars (7 4-Car trains) since that is all the capacity McCowan has so nothing changes from a capacity stand point either. It only makes sense as a stop gap solution and this will ultimatly be determined by the timeline. If the SSE is under construction then you can possibly make the case. However the SSE still hasn't began construction then cutting our losses and upgrading to the Mk.III trains becomes far more appealing then just using Mk.I trains from Vancouver for a decade.

Of course, but assuming we just have to eek out a few more years then it makes sense. TransLink has ordered 203 additional Mark IIIs as part of their plan to phase out the Mark Is, with the first new trains arriving in 2023. They do have manual controls, though they would need to rudimentary modification since TransLink only uses then in manual mode during system breakdowns so they're usually just hidden behind a locked panel and there's no real operator space.

Even with 2 car trains we would still need a new platform for Kennedy since just like the curve at Ellesmere, the curve at Kennedy is to tight for the Mk.III trains. The only other option as you said would be to track down a compatible train type that also adheres to the SRT's specs. Does such a train still even exist?
Bombardier could probably produce a custom vehicle for the TTC. One that uses LIMs, automatic train control, and packaged for the SRT. It'll probably cost more, but...

Bombardier could probably produce a custom vehicle for the TTC. One that uses LIMs, automatic train control, and packaged for the SRT. It'll probably cost more, but...
The point is not to do that. When they need more vehicles, it'll cost them a lot again to start up the line.

If we had to go the Mk.III route it would allow us to future proof the SRT so that it can continue to use the larger vehicles. As well since we would need a new platform at Kennedy we could also simplify the transfer to the EC and Line 2.

This entire thing is bordering on farcical- the most logical solution would be to build and extend the Eglinton East LRT (elevated), connecting to and retracking the existing guideway- saving money and retaining a seamless connection with at least one transit line.

If there's space constraints with double tracking on the GO lines, I'm sure that some slivers of land can be acquired and trackage shifted over. This option would make the best use of an existing infrastructure, avoiding the need to build expensive new infrastructures, as is with the Scarborough subway.

I would not be surprised if the Scarborough Subway is a project that gets cancelled upon the arrival of a more radical mayor- it's moving way too slowly at a time when the area needs transit solutions now.

2.jpg

Last edited:
This entire thing is bordering on farcical- the most logical solution would be to build and extend the Eglinton East LRT (elevated), connecting to and retracking the existing guideway- saving money and retaining a seamless connection with at least one transit line.

If there's space constraints with double tracking on the GO lines, I'm sure that some slivers of land can be acquired and trackage shifted over. This option would make the best use of an existing infrastructure, avoiding the need to build expensive new infrastructures, as is with the Scarborough subway.

I would not be surprised if the Scarborough Subway is a project that gets cancelled upon the arrival of a more radical mayor- it's moving way too slowly at a time when the area needs transit solutions now.

2.jpg

With the province taking control, I can't see the Scarborough Subway being canceled anytime soon.

With the province taking control, I can't see the Scarborough Subway being canceled anytime soon.
No ... but as the poster you replied to pointed out, it could be cancelled after the next election ... which isn't true if they proceeded with the current TTC plan.

The Conservatives have already deferred this by years, and made the TTC stop work on the extension.

Oh, they’ll cancel it. They just won’t tell anybody. Just like the Liberals did with the SELRT, and just like the PCs are doing with the SSE and DRL. This government has been in power for a year and we’ve seen next to no work done on the DRL, and zero work done on the SSE whatsoever. Heck, last I checked, we still don’t know what stations will exist on the Scarborough extension the PCs are pretending to build

Last edited:
You're both right about that.

I don't see it technically happening for quite a while though - Ford needs it for votes in the next election.

You're both right about that.

I don't see it technically happening for quite a while though - Ford needs it for votes in the next election.

He doesn’t need the subway under construction to get votes. He just needs to convince voters that there’s progress on the file. In fact, it might be advantageous for Ford to NOT have it under construction, so he can still campaign on building the extension.

He doesn’t need the subway under construction to get votes. He just needs to convince voters that there’s progress on the file. In fact, it might be advantageous for Ford to NOT have it under construction, so he can still campaign on building the extension.
That's exactly what's going to happen. Truth is at the earliest we could have began construction next year but now that is all out the window. Just like how we lament the fact the SLRT would have opened this year but Scarborough still has nothing, we can now also lament that we could have began construction on the Subway next year.... but now it's the same thing, there is nothing and won't be anything for at least another 5 years. Had Doug Ford kept his nose out of it we could be getting on with the SSE just like had the other Rob Ford kept his nose out of it back when he was Mayor Scarborough would have a replacement. The only thing the Fords have proven is there ability to screw Scarborough over yet the voters out here continue to let, them to there own detriment. There is some weird Stockholm syndrome out here in Scarborough since voters seem to be completely unaware that they are getting duped again by the Ford family. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Scarborough is its own worst enemy and has once again gotten in its own way. We have a bad habit of shooting ourselves in the foot here in the east end.

Exactly.

Initially I supported the LRT proposal, for obvious reasons. Then I supported the subway, because that’s what people wanted and we had more pressing issues to deal with as a city. Now that it’s clear that the government has no genuine intention to build this thing, I’ll probably be switching my support to upgrading the line to ICTS Mark 3 come 2022. It’s cheap, and we’ll be having to shut down the SRT anyways given the recent delays

Most importantly, it will allow us to move on. We have far more important issues to deal with, both in Scarborough and across Toronto, than the SRT replacement. RER, the Eglinton East LRT, the Relief Line extension to Sheppard, regional fare integration and improvements to bus services (BRT included) are all far more important to Scarborough’s public transit than any form of the Scarborough RT replacement.

Furthermore, the only reason the SRT replacement was so critical in the first place was because Scarborough Centre Station was the primary waypoint for Scarborough residents to travel to downtown. Once the Relief Line and RER are operational, both of whom will provide far faster travel times to Downtown than any iteration of the Scarborough RT replacement, the importance of Scarborough Centre as a node will enormously diminish.

Initially I supported the LRT proposal, for obvious reasons. Then I supported the subway, because that’s what people wanted and we had more pressing issues to deal with as a city. Now that it’s clear that the government has no genuine intention to build this thing, I’ll probably be switching my support to upgrading the line to ICTS Mark 3 come 2022. It’s cheap, and we’ll be having to shut down the SRT anyways given the recent delays

Most importantly, it will allow us to move on. We have far more important issues to deal with, both in Scarborough and across Toronto, than the SRT replacement. RER, the Eglinton East LRT, the Relief Line extension to Sheppard, regional fare integration and improvements to bus services (BRT included) are all far more important to Scarborough’s public transit than any form of the Scarborough RT replacement.

Furthermore, the only reason the SRT replacement was so critical in the first place was because Scarborough Centre Station was the primary waypoint for Scarborough residents to travel to downtown. Once the Relief Line and RER are operational, both of whom will provide far faster travel times to Downtown than any iteration of the Scarborough RT replacement, the importance of Scarborough Centre as a node will enormously diminish.
This was all known in 2006 - but then David Miller came along.
It was also known in 2012 - but the Liberals and Council decided to defeat Ford at all costs.
I'm not sure the environment has changed much. If you want to change away from the subway - you have to propose something better.

Back