News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Should they extend Line 4 eastwards, they can't build minimal stations to reduce cost. They should have totally build a station at Eglinton/Brimley on SSE but omitted due to cost.

Seriously what is good about this subway? I'll see the 85/985B run just as frequent as today to a new terminal at Victoria Park. The subway would be realigned on Sheppard but I doubt we'll see any stations between Kennedy and McCowan with the current ML approach. They'll just claim it's too expensive for more stations.
Fig2-Sheppard-LRT-v-subway.png

source: https://www.tunneltalk.com/Toronto-LRT-May12-Tunneling-cut-on-Eglinton-and-Sheppard.php

Should they extend Line 4 eastwards, they can't build minimal stations to reduce cost. They should have totally build a station at Eglinton/Brimley on SSE but omitted due to cost.

Seriously what is good about this subway? I'll see the 85/985B run just as frequent as today to a new terminal at Victoria Park. The subway would be realigned on Sheppard but I doubt we'll see any stations between Kennedy and McCowan with the current ML approach. They'll just claim it's too expensive for more stations.
View attachment 236863
source: https://www.tunneltalk.com/Toronto-LRT-May12-Tunneling-cut-on-Eglinton-and-Sheppard.php
More stops does not equate to better service. I will take fewer stops on a subway line if it means the stations are equipped with bus terminals and run bus services far more frequently than they do today.

There is farmland in the area north of the zoo.

According to the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food & Rural Affairs (2016), there are 5240 acres classified as agricultural in Toronto. No doubt, beyond that which is captured in the Rouge Park, MRCA or otherwise protected, much of the lands still in commercial production is owned by developers and leased back until they can bulldoze it away.

According to the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food & Rural Affairs (2016), there are 5240 acres classified as agricultural in Toronto. No doubt, beyond that which is captured in the Rouge Park, MRCA or otherwise protected, much of the lands still in commercial production is owned by developers and leased back until they can bulldoze it away.
There is very little undeveloped land within the urban area in Toronto. Essentially the last chunk of it is getting developed as an Amazon warehouse right now in north-east Scarboorugh. The rest is either protected greenbelt or rouge park.

But yes, there is a small amount of farmland in the North-east corner of the city. It's not going anywhere though, and is literally only a handful of farms that could be counted on one hand. Most are privately owned from my understanding, as there is no development potential so developers aren't interested in buying and holding long term (unlike a lot of farmland on the edge of the GTA).

Sheppard East subway would be the worst line yet. NYC to STC movement should to be proven before they even consider it. That means they need to make more jobs near STC. Unlike Eg West in which it would attract riders from Line 2, Finch express 939 and Steeles Express 953 would likely still commute to Yonge oppose to Sheppard to Line 4. The reason is east-west routes from Central Etobicoke to Line 1 sucks and takes an hour and are much better in Scabrorough.

I rather see money go towards EELRT or building a LRT network east of Scarbrough subway. The subway lovers of Scarborough can wait longer as they don't deserve 2 subways before the much needed LRTs.

Agreed. After the SSE extension, there will be more benefit from building EELRT, and then a few other light rail lines in Scarborough and/or elsewhere.

Sheppard East subway extension may be considered eventually, but that's not a near-term priority.

Egregious waste of money. Scarborough needs an LRT network, not a subway.

Seriously compared to a one stop subway or the transfer LRT it is more then welcome

The issue is LRT network was never designed to remove the transfer and on Sheppard was adding a new one. It shouldn't have been the difficult from the start to extend the BDL more economically or LRT in a connect manner, but it happened qnd the City was incapable of working on a reasonable solution. Atleast the Province fixed the Citys mess to provide the best possible scenario to move forward at this time.

Agreed and I live well east of McCowan Road in Scarborough.

I live on the East side as well I and I look forward to the subway being a the centrally connected backbone of the network. Shortens bus travel for those east of McCowan and removes a transfer for many, things that are and should always have been important when building a legacy line, and were grossly ignored.

More importantly now we can finally move on to focus on Sheppard subway, Eglinton east LRT and Ellesmere BRT. All also overdue.

Last edited:
This seems relevant to the Scarborough extension and other suburban subways that are needlessly underground and have been plagued by political meddling.

New report shows the soaring costs of transit construction in Toronto

The report concludes that subway construction is now 9 times more expensive than in 1954, a number that accounts for inflation, and that costs really only started to spiral out of control around the turn of the millennium. That makes sense, because from the 60s to the 80s subways were put above ground if possible, especially is less dense suburban areas. The huge cost discrepancy is especially jarring when you consider that the subways in the 1950s were built in the heart of downtown with stations close together while modern subways have mostly been in less complex, less dense areas with stations far apart.

Something is seriously wrong with the way Toronto builds mass transit.

Last edited:
This seems relevant to the Scarborough extension and other suburban subways that are needlessly underground and have been plagued by political meddling.

New report shows the soaring costs of transit construction in Toronto

The report concludes that subway construction is now 9 times more expensive than in 1954, a number that accounts for inflation, and that costs really only started to spiral out of control around the turn of the millennium. That makes sense, because from the 60s to the 80s subways were put above ground if possible, especially is less dense suburban areas. The huge cost discrepancy is especially jarring when you consider that the subways in the 1950s were built in the heart of downtown with stations close together while modern subways have mostly been in less complex, less dense areas with stations far apart.

Something is seriously wrong with the way Toronto builds mass transit.
It's the way we value impact minimization. All these projects could be built much cheaper, even when deep boring it, if there weren't bylaws restricting almost all progress. No noise exceeding this amount and only between these times. No vibration whatsoever, no vibration from train operations, construction vehicles cannot use the roads during x times, etc etc etc. It adds way too much to project complexity, and becomes almost impossible for a contractor to manage without costs going out of control.

There's also the fact that the parties that usually bid on these projects have zero field experience.

Last edited:

Back