News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

But to what extend are modifications necessary to use standard streetcars?

Obviously the catenary is missing, and track is out a centimetre or so, but it was originally designed for CLRVs.

No need to upgrade permanently to Flexity Freedom standards.
woudlnt this then negate this decades long debate if theyre thinking about keeping the elevated row? wasnt the whole point to dismantle it?

But to what extend are modifications necessary to use standard streetcars?

Obviously the catenary is missing, and track is out a centimetre or so, but it was originally designed for CLRVs.

No need to upgrade permanently to Flexity Freedom standards.
The final design was done in such a way to prevent the use of streetcars

The TTC is considering re-using the SRT guideway and stations for bus replacement service

From the above link:

1625700160392.png

1625700189252.png

1625700230641.png

I thought they couldn't use the guideway?
Theoretically they just need to pave it. In reality however, it might affect the GO expansion along the Stouffville Line. The SRT station clearance would be another issue. They might need to detour around the stations or demolish them first.

Can't see why they can't jury-rig it for buses in one-direction only. That would be useful in the peak direction at rush hour.
Steve Munro has already analysed why only some of the SRT corridor can be used -
and
Basically it's easier to use the at grade bits of the SRT corridor, and it's cheaper too - more buses for your money!

Steve Munro has already analysed why only some of the SRT corridor can be used -
That' all seems to based on the assumption that bus or streetcar operation on the SRC would be two-directional, not one-directional.

My question was about the cost to make the required changes, not the engineering. Obviously it won't work without some adjustments.

Thanks for sharing the update. I know some feel the The Star has an agenda with these stories, but without this particular one this man may not have received help.

Glad it worked out.

A good reminder in this image how low density this area is. I wonder what it'll look like in 20 years and if the subway will change that?

Probably not to any significant degree. The city admitted in a report that they don't expect the suburban character of the city to change all that much along most of the line.

Sheppard has been around for nearly 20 years now. While there have been some new condo projects, the character of the street hasn't changed to any significant degree.

It'll probably be similar for much of the Scarborough extension.

Back