News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Rexdale is not far from the Spadina subway? Which part of Rexdale are you refeering to? Tell me which Spadina subway stops is someone living at Kipling ad Finch so close to or Highway 27 and Finchh? Last I checked you are at best an hour bus ride away from most subway stations in Rexdale...

How is that any different from a rider in eastern or northern areas of Scarborough..

The Finch LRT will accommodate once its open. Also, it doesn't take an hour to bus from Kipling and Finch to Keele and Finch (where the spadina subway is) One Bus/LRT ride to subway, one subway ride to downtown way better than anywhere of Scarborough to get downtown.

The Finch LRT will accommodate once its open. Also, it doesn't take an hour to bus from Kipling and Finch to Keele and Finch (where the spadina subway is) One Bus/LRT ride to subway, one subway ride to downtown way better than anywhere of Scarborough to get downtown.

We are talking about current conditions. Finch west station is not yet built. How long does it take somebody from Rexdale to get to Downsview or Wilson station on the bus? It's well close to an hour. I have done it on several occasions. With the Finch LRT, notify me when it actually gets built. With the way things work in Toronto, we are not even sure if it will actually get built.

Same argument can be said for Scarborough. How long does it take for someone at Steeles and Markham to bus downtown? Also a hour bus ride. But hey, if we talk about current projects the Finch West subway station IS coming. That bus ride is 30 minutes tops from 427.

Nothing can be said Scarborough . No easy way to get downtown except GO transit.

It takes about an hour to get downtown from STC. But if you have to take a bus to the RT or subway in Scarborough, it could take upwards of two hours in total each way. Any trip longer than an hour on the TTC can be uncomfortable on those small, hard seats. Commutes longer than an hour are generally undesirable and should be minimized through rapid transit expansion and land-use intensification.

It takes about an hour to get downtown from STC. But if you have to take a bus to the RT or subway in Scarborough, it could take upwards of two hours in total each way. Any trip longer than an hour on the TTC can be uncomfortable on those small, hard seats. Commutes longer than an hour are generally undesirable and should be minimized through rapid transit expansion and land-use intensification.

This.

I would add that even if the seats were plush and comfortable, commuting for more than an hour each way is very hard for many riders. People have kids to pick up from day cares / schools, and household chores to do.

We are talking about current conditions. Finch west station is not yet built. How long does it take somebody from Rexdale to get to Downsview or Wilson station on the bus? It's well close to an hour. I have done it on several occasions.

The Spadina extension is in full construction mode, and is expected to open in 3 years. Once it opens, everyone within walking distance from the Finch West or Steeles West buses should be able to get to subway in 20 - 30 min.

With the Finch LRT, notify me when it actually gets built. With the way things work in Toronto, we are not even sure if it will actually get built.

It is true that the future of Finch LRT is uncertain. However, it is still the best bet for Rexdale, to slice additional 5 - 10 min off the ride to subway.

The only subway extension in Etobicoke being seriously discussed now, is the Bloor subway to Sherway Gardens. That would help southern Etobicoke a bit, but would be totally useless for Rexdale.

What would be really useful for most of Etobicoke, is a conversion of UPX to a TTC-fare rapid line.

What would be really useful for most of Etobicoke, is a conversion of UPX to a TTC-fare rapid line.

Or, full service on the KW GO line and fare integration between TTC and GO.....there is, after all, a stop on that line called "Etobicoke North".

Hasn't the August 2nd deadline passed?

Yes, the deadline for Toronto council to provide clarity on their wishes for the SRT replacement. Toronto council has provided clarity on this. They want an extension of the BD subway and they want other governments to take care of the majority of taxation and funding to make this happen.

And whats wrong with GO transit?

1) Not frequent enough
2) Not enough TTC local routes that connect to GO stations
3) The need to pay full fares for both the GO and the TTC portions of the trip (unlike in 905, where you can take a local trip for a 50c surcharge to the GO fare)

One can say that all those issues can be addressed for far less than the cost of Scarborough subway. But it is not that simple.

Some of the GO deficiencies are systemic (based on the Union station capacity limitations, or on the Transport Canada / FRA mainline railway rules). Fixing them is possible, but the full cost of such fixes is unknown, and might actually far exceed the cost of Scarborough subway.

Toronto council has provided clarity on this. They want an extension of the BD subway and they want other governments to take care of the majority of taxation and funding to make this happen.
Correct. The city made it clear that if the province doesn't provide $1.8 billion of subway funding, that they should go ahead with the LRT.

As the province has said they'll only provide $1.4 billion, then they've been given clear authorisation to proceed with the LRT.

Or was one side or the other lying? :)

Certainly the last thing we have is clarity!

Not sure what all this subway talk is about...Scarborough Centre already has a subway!

34jep2t.png

Certainly the last thing we have is clarity!

I'm just saying we have clarity on what was asked here. As to what is actually going to happen, that's still as murky as ever! Its obvious both the provincial liberals and mayoral hopefuls are trolling for votes. Some may even want to see a subway get built. You can bet that 1.8B figure was Ford/Stintz thinking they had the province backed into a corner. Murray called this bluff. If nothing gets built, I predict that both parties will do their best to try and make the federal government wear it. I also think that the federal government will stay far away from this.

Votes can be bought for so much less.

I'm just saying we have clarity on what was asked here.

We do have clarity. The province said they could give $1.4 billion for subway. The city said, build the LRT unless you give us $1.8 billion for subway. The province then said they'd only give $1.4 billion for subway.

Clearly the province has been given the clarity to proceed with the LRT.

(so no, I don't think the clarity has been provided at all, to answer the letter).

Back