News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

At a preliminary stage perhaps. Not by the time final design is completed!

For this project, the budget was set with a 20% contingency.

In case not seen, wise words (and good writing) from Goldsbie in the Post on the subway flipflop:

"I think it’s actually depressingly simple. A victory for Rob Ford would be getting re-elected. A victory for Glenn De Baeremaeker would be getting re-elected. A victory for Karen Stintz would be becoming mayor. A victory for the province would be winning the Scarborough-Guildwood by-election. I’m not sure there’s that much more to it. It’s the basest, most cynical politics, disguised in the lofty rhetoric of vision, and made even more despicable by the cruel deception being perpetrated on the people of Scarborough. It’s not that people in Scarborough are “stupid” but that they have been deliberately and consistently misled. Those who hold residents in such contempt deserve neither their votes nor validation."

For this project, the budget was set with a 20% contingency.

In case not seen, wise words (and good writing) from Goldsbie in the Post on the subway flipflop:

"I think it’s actually depressingly simple. A victory for Rob Ford would be getting re-elected. A victory for Glenn De Baeremaeker would be getting re-elected. A victory for Karen Stintz would be becoming mayor. A victory for the province would be winning the Scarborough-Guildwood by-election. I’m not sure there’s that much more to it. It’s the basest, most cynical politics, disguised in the lofty rhetoric of vision, and made even more despicable by the cruel deception being perpetrated on the people of Scarborough. It’s not that people in Scarborough are “stupid†but that they have been deliberately and consistently misled. Those who hold residents in such contempt deserve neither their votes nor validation."

Good people of Scarborough have a chance to hear from both sides of the debate. If the majority of them still prefer the subway option, then it is not unreasonable that elected politicians want to accommodate the public.

You argument would be entirely valid if the said politicians somehow blocked all pro-LRT information, but this is not the case (and is not even technically possible in the Internet age).

The public opinion is not always right. In the Scarborough LRT/subway case, there is a marked discord between the majority of residents and the majority of transit experts. It is quite possible that the transit experts are right, and not the public.

However, going against the public opinion in a democratic system is perilous; not just personally for the politicians involved, but for the whole cause of public transit.

However, going against the public opinion in a democratic system is perilous; not just personally for the politicians involved, but for the whole cause of public transit.

This. Pols can impose all they want now. They are just poisoning the well for the coming debate on transit taxes in my opinion.

How many subway stations does Scarborough have at the present time?

Three: Victoria Park, Warden, Kennedy

How many subway stations does Scarborough have at the present time?

Three: Victoria Park, Warden, Kennedy

That's quite little compared to Toronto and North York, but they got the RT in the 1980s which is more like a subway line than a streetcar line.

How many subway or rapid transit stops does Etobicoke have? They have it even worst.

Etobicoke equally has 3 subway stations. Scarborough is bigger by 1/3 and it has almost 40% more people. Hard to justify adding more stations in Etobicoke than Scarborough here.

Etobicoke equally has 3 subway stations. Scarborough is bigger by 1/3 and it has almost 40% more people. Hard to justify adding more stations in Etobicoke than Scarborough here.

Furthermore, Etobicoke has much better access to subways. Most of its southern and central areas are within a 15-min bus ride from Kipling or Islington stations. Rexdale is not too far from the Spadina subway, and it will get even better when TYSSE opens. If we add Finch West LRT, extend Eglinton LRT, and build something on Wilson, then Etobicoke will be pretty much covered with functional transit.

In Scarborough, riders from the eastern or northern areas have to take a long journey on a bus to reach subway or RT.

Furthermore, Etobicoke has much better access to subways. Most of its southern and central areas are within a 15-min bus ride from Kipling or Islington stations. Rexdale is not too far from the Spadina subway, and it will get even better when TYSSE opens. If we add Finch West LRT, extend Eglinton LRT, and build something on Wilson, then Etobicoke will be pretty much covered with functional transit.

In Scarborough, riders from the eastern or northern areas have to take a long journey on a bus to reach subway or RT.

Gotta ask, though, if improved LRT links is the answer in one area why is it not the answer in another?

Gotta ask, though, if improved LRT links is the answer in one area why is it not the answer in another?

To some extent, they are the answer for both.

However, as Scarborough is further from downtown and even from the existing rapid transit links, their desire for a subway is more understandable IMO.

Rexdale is not far from the Spadina subway? Which part of Rexdale are you refeering to? Tell me which Spadina subway stops is someone living at Kipling ad Finch so close to or Highway 27 and Finchh? Last I checked you are at best an hour bus ride away from most subway stations in Rexdale...

How is that any different from a rider in eastern or northern areas of Scarborough..

Rexdale is not far from the Spadina subway? Which part of Rexdale are you refeering to? Tell me which Spadina subway stops is someone living at Kipling ad Finch so close to or Highway 27 and Finchh? Last I checked you are at best an hour bus ride away from most subway stations in Rexdale...

How is that any different from a rider in eastern or northern areas of Scarborough..

The 191 express bus is fairly fast.

Back