News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Next ML Board meeting is two weeks away.
If the ML Board isn't getting this data point into the public part of the meeting, I don't know why we would have a Board at all. It's a critical metric for whether this project is still on track. Not just something that transit nerds wonder about. How is the Board meeting its resposibility to the public if it isn't transparent about the progress on billion-dollar projects ?

- Paul

Has anyone heard of any progress of the TBM? I recall last they ran into a snag before they were going to continuously dig under the 401...i presume this was already done given the length of time that has passed?
The plan was to reach the intervention shaft south of Brimorton dr late summer/early fall and fix the TBM. I wonder if that’s still on schedule. Hopefully it made it past the 401 without any snags.

But there is no mention. Another one to chalk up for Metrolinx's communication team, who seem more interested at protecting the image of the business versus being transparent and open to the public as a crown corp.
Nothing to do with the comms team, they're plebs like the rest of us. It's the call from higher ups and political masters.

Without transparency one cannot help but wildly speculate about the embarrassing reasons.

Colin Mochrie, having heard the reason, thinks it too ridiculous to be believable.

Has anyone heard of any progress of the TBM? I recall last they ran into a snag before they were going to continuously dig under the 401...i presume this was already done given the length of time that has passed?
About 2 weeks ago, they had a popup info desk at Sheppard/McCowan, and I asked about where the TBM is.

It's currently parked just a bit north of the 401, and it's having some maintenance and refurbishment done before they start the long drive under the 401. They can't afford to have any problems happen while under there. I haven't been seeing any dump trucks coming out of the site since then, so presumably it still hasn't started back up.

About 2 weeks ago, they had a popup info desk at Sheppard/McCowan, and I asked about where the TBM is.

It's currently parked just a bit north of the 401, and it's having some maintenance and refurbishment done before they start the long drive under the 401. They can't afford to have any problems happen while under there. I haven't been seeing any dump trucks coming out of the site since then, so presumably it still hasn't started back up.
Today's Metrolinx board meeting indicated they moved 27m to 850/~7800.

Unsure what date that was from, but assume it's quite recent (feb) data. Sounds as if they are falling further behind. 27 metres in ~30 days? Even if this data is a week or two off, it still is well below target.

Verbal update was mismatched with media... It is at ~900 metres with a pause for a couple weeks to get ready to go under the 401 (apparently they cannot stop once going).
So the TBM has been parked since February? I find that.. Hard to believe... But astounding if true....

Entirely as anticipated, but the City is formally moving to approve sale of lands at 120 Grangeway to Metrolinx for purposes of the SSE:

1719238217152.png

The City will get just over 40M for the property, which will then be parked in the City's Land Acquisition Reserve Fund.

Entirely as anticipated, but the City is formally moving to approve sale of lands at 120 Grangeway to Metrolinx for purposes of the SSE:

View attachment 575055

The City will get just over 40M for the property, which will then be parked in the City's Land Acquisition Reserve Fund.
I don't not get why they've chosen that site for the station/main entrance, but without an entrance on the west side of McCowan (who knows what will become of the knockout panel for the future development - hard to say if it'll be an accessible and/or sizeable entrance) there's going to be an awful lot of foot traffic crossing a suburban arterial to where most of the density is going to be for the foreseeable future...

I don't not get why they've chosen that site for the station/main entrance, but without an entrance on the west side of McCowan (who knows what will become of the knockout panel for the future development - hard to say if it'll be an accessible and/or sizeable entrance) there's going to be an awful lot of foot traffic crossing a suburban arterial to where most of the density is going to be for the foreseeable future...
But there is an entrance on the west side of McCowan. Check the drawings for the TOC

But there is an entrance on the west side of McCowan. Check the drawings for the TOC
Not as part of the subway construction though. There's no guarantee yet that will happen as far as I know. The subway design drawings are based on the assumption that it won't happen - but could be done one day. They show it the same way that they show the Line 4 and Line 7 connections at the Sheppard East Line 2 station.

Not as part of the subway construction though. There's no guarantee yet that will happen as far as I know. The subway design drawings are based on the assumption that it won't happen - but could be done one day. They show it the same way that they show the Line 4 and Line 7 connections at the Sheppard East Line 2 station.

Is this the knockout panel you're referencing? It does seem dependent on the Oxford Development (which is what I think is on the other side of McCowan)?

1719416767938.png

Yes - that's right on the east side of McCowan, pointing west. And seems a bit narrow in my mind. Though 6 metres doesn't sound narrow; but the ones that are part of the station seem to be 10 metres.

Good to see the triple escalators in the design.

Back