News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

If you look at the report it states that Kennedy would likely only be closed for a month or so while the tunnel is quickly switched over to go to the new station. It stated that the new station could be built parallel to the existing station and the station could be fully "complete" before closing the existing station. It suggested doing the switchover when the ECLRT opens to allow for better access for transfers between the two. The proposed subway extension would likely open in mid 2023. I wonder how the switchover tracks work considering the plan shown in the PDF doesn't put any switchovers at STC. I really hope the Feds or city cough up the dough to get it up to Sheppard.

Last edited:
The expected Kennedy station shutdown will be much shorter than the SRT shutdown. Most of the time, the buses will run to Kennedy.

Will trains be running from Kennedy?

If you look at the report it states that Kennedy would likely only be closed for a month or so while the tunnel is quickly switched over to go to the new station. It stated that the new station could be built parallel to the existing station and the station could be fully "complete" before closing the existing station. It suggested doing the switchover when the ECLRT opens to allow for better access for transfers between the two. The proposed subway extension would likely open in mid 2023.

Thanks for the info. Amended my post.

Last edited:
How did they study this inferior option so quickly? What about the option proposed by the city?

Both are really bad options. But the one proposed by the city probably would have been too expensive. If we were being smart, we'd have this subway follow the route of the Malvern LRT and keep the SRT. But we don't like paying for transit in this city.

You may want an LRT but a subway is getting built. Anything else would be suicidal for all parties all this point. Right now we need to look at which alignment is better, the Metrolinx one or the TTC one.

Don't be so sure, many past transit projects 'were getting built' but never did.

Often this was the result of politicians spinelessly pandering to gullible voters with promises of subways, but of course, neither the subway nor the rational transit project that proceeded it gets built.

That is an interesting question. This wasn't prepared in a few weeks.

I wouldn't be surprised if as soon as the vote switching to subway came down, they prepared a Plan A, which included the Danforth-McCowan alignment, on the off-chance that Toronto or the Feds actually ponied up some dough. They also likely produced Plan B, which is this plan. The McCowan alignment has already been preliminarily studied by the TTC when they did the direct comparison between the LRT and subway earlier this year (or was it late last year?).

The Province likely knew from Day 1 after the vote that no additional funds would be coming, so they began working on a plan that would get SOMETHING from the initial $1.4 billion, and left an option open for a longer line if additional money came through eventually.

I don't see why we need elaborate conspiracy theories about this. It's only 38 pages long, and close to $100 million have already been spent preparing to build LRT on this alignment. There must be rooms/hard drives overflowing somewhere with everything needed to prepare this report. When Metrolinx announced they were stopping work on the LRT plan, they asked for this to be whipped together.

Ha ha ha ha ha. Good one.
The comment made at Metrolinx meeting today, STC most likely will be the end of the line as the line has to stop some place if there is no real demand beyond that point.

PULSE will service STC as well UoT.

Some real yes sir comments were made to support this extension as a number of thing will be sweep under the carpet to make it work.

The riders at Kennedy will now have to suffer years of bus shuttle to/from it to/from Warden to allow a new station to be built for this extension. If the dreamers think they can built a curve from the existing line before the station to cut down the time schedule, I know a number of bridges they may like to buy real cheap. Same for Ellesmere.

LRT will branch out from STC.

Interesting ... to eliminate the tunnel between Ellesemere and Midland stations, they swap the GO tracks and TTC alignment, and then put the curve at-grade rather than in a tunnel.

Now why can't you do that with the converted LRT?

The riders at Kennedy will now have to suffer years of bus shuttle to/from it to/from Warden to allow a new station to be built for this extension. If the dreamers think they can built a curve from the existing line before the station to cut down the time schedule, I know a number of bridges they may like to buy real cheap. Same for Ellesmere.

As a downtowner this will be amusing to watch. Potential years of shuttling from Warden Station on busses, all for a Subway extension that has zero advantage over the SRT. Grab me a bowl of popcorn and remind me to stay west of Victoria Park. This should be fun. :D

But seriously, what are the chances of Council approving this? Potential years of shut downs for something that really provides no benefit will be a tough sell. I don't see this happening. This is likely just a brilliant ploy on the part of Murray to show people how insanely stupid this subway is.

The riders at Kennedy will now have to suffer years of bus shuttle to/from it to/from Warden to allow a new station to be built for this extension.
Years? Where do you get that? It says short-term in the Metrolinx report.

How long was the Yonge line shut down to make the new connections to the Sheppard line?

How long will the Wilson to Downsview service be shut down, to finish that new tunnelled connection to Wilson Yard, just south of Downsview station?

I can't imagine it would be more than a couple of months ... not years.

Back