News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Kinda like RH RER and what it would do to the dubiously high Yonge North modelling. 17,000 riding a 30km bus b/n Newmarket and Finch Stn turning into 19,000 peak at Steeles in 15 years?

Yonge has been discussed ad-nausem already, in the appropriate thread.

The jury is still out on that one. It remains to be seen what Smart Track will do to the ridership.

Same as what the University Line does to the Yonge Line, siphons some traffic from the west but ultimately does not do much to eclipse Yonge as the more heavily used service.

Does Vancouver's newer trains have soundproofing?

The MK II vehicles are inherently much quieter, but even Vancouver's MK I trains are much, much quieter than Scarborough's.

I've long had the belief that all the rt hate in Toronto is analogous to a teenager being bought a car he didn't want when he turned 16, and in spite he didn't change the oil and beat the crap out of it as an excuse to say "oh now I need a new car, this one doesn't work anymore."

With a little TLC, the rt could operate every bit as smoothly as Vancouver's system. Nobody wants to make the effort, that's all.

Projected subway usage is higher than LRT despite serving less corridors.

With very different capital investments, and I realize Scarborough transit at this point is about purchasing happy feelings and not actually moving the most people for our budget.

For an actual business case, it would have been interesting to take $3B and compare an equal investment in BRT, LRT, and subway. Subway to Sheppard, LRT to Steeles (roughly), and perhaps 3 new BRT corridors which merge at SCC and run in a grade separated ROW to Kennedy.

Last edited:
With very different capital investments, and I realize Scarborough transit at this point is about purchasing happy feelings and not actually moving the most people for our budget.

For an actual business case, it would have been interesting to take $3B and compare an equal investment in BRT, LRT, and subway. Subway to Sheppard, LRT to Steeles (roughly), and perhaps 3 new BRT corridors which merge at SCC and run in a grade separated ROW to Kennedy.

Yup. For the same $3B, you could probably get:

1) GO REX from the Stouffville line to Malvern
2) Addition of local stations at Ellesmere and Lawrence East along the Stouffville corridor (full route GO REX trains would bypass them)
3) BRT along Ellesmere east of STC (part of the Durham Pulse BRT)
4) BRT along Eglinton East and Kingston Rd along the Scaborough-Malvern LRT route
5) An extension of the Sheppard East LRT to the zoo
6) Sheppard East LRT spur down McCowan to STC

That would serve a heck of a lot more people than a 3 stop subway extension would.

Also, metrolinx looked at running the subway in the srt corridor including a rebuild of Kennedy and it came out as something right around the same price as the council plan.

So Minister Murray's plan? IIRC, it would have been about the same cost as the LRT plan (similar costs to reno existing line, "savings" from not building STC-Sheppard going to rebuilding Kennedy).

I'd be curious to hear where it was said that this would be the same cost as council's proposed alignment.

when the head planner for transportation at the city says otherwise, I think you may want to start doubting that position..

Projected subway usage is higher than LRT despite serving less corridors.

That still does not change my statement. This is a vote buying exercise and like rbt said, about feelings.

The jury is still out on that one. It remains to be seen what Smart Track will do to the ridership.

I bet it will fall below 10,000 people required, and even less with SmartTrack.

So Minister Murray's plan? IIRC, it would have been about the same cost as the LRT plan (similar costs to reno existing line, "savings" from not building STC-Sheppard going to rebuilding Kennedy).

I'd be curious to hear where it was said that this would be the same cost as council's proposed alignment.

Problem with this is they everyone will complain the subway isn't connected to Sheppard East.

7) a complete overhaul on the existing RT, new vehicles, a rebuild of Kennedy so the capacity/headway issue is resolved (almost instantaneously doubling the capacity of the system), plus 20 km of new ICTS/ALRT guideway.

No one was calling for a subway stop on Sheppard East until De Baeremaeker pulled out his napkin map.

To be fair, it does solve a lot of connectivity issues. A subway that stops at STC with a ~1km gap between the terminus and the Sheppard East LRT makes for a pretty messed up transit situation. At the very least, the subway extension to Sheppard bolsters the case for the SELRT being there. The other option is running a branch down to STC, which would partially solve it, but would complicate SELRT operations.

Back