News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Since when did the average Scarberian want to get to Union Station?

Have to agree with you there.

Most of them wants convenient access to different parts of the city, hence them using Bloor-Danforth by default. Scarborough-Eglinton Crosstown would connect the city and give them more options and faster access to workplace, shopping and entertainment.

Putting them on a one seat trip to the already crowded downtown isn't a viable solution

Don Peat @reporterdonpeat · 2h 2 hours ago
Cllr Josh Matlow lost all 3 votes to get 3 administrative inquiries on Scarborough subway sent to executive committee for debate #TOpoli

Council votes 36 to 6 to receive the Scarborough subway administrative inquiries for information. Essentially the do nothing option #TOpoli

Don Peat @reporterdonpeat · 51m 51 minutes ago
"People in Scarborough deserve to get on the subway" Glenn DeBaeremaeker #TOpoli

Don Peat @reporterdonpeat · 45m 45 minutes ago
Giorgio Mammoliti says SmartTrack only serves the downtown #TOpoli

Ouch Matlow. He tried.

Most of them wants convenient access to different parts of the city, hence them using Bloor-Danforth by default. Scarborough-Eglinton Crosstown would connect the city and give them more options and faster access to workplace, shopping and entertainment.

Putting them on a one seat trip to the already crowded downtown isn't a viable solution

As much as I agree with a Crosstown-SLRT, and the notion that 'not everybody is going downtown' - transit systems worldwide tend to follow the model of lines radiating out from a city's downtown. It's usually much later in the evolution of a system that cross-network and feeder lines are added in. NYC only has one short one, and Chicago has none. Comparing the bare-bones skeletal system we have now to other systems, I think it should be understandable to many that we should at least have one or two more lines branching from the core before addressing the demand for those wanting to traverse the entire city without having to go downtown.

Since when did the average Scarberian want to get to Union Station?

A couple points:

1) We've yet to hear back on the recommendations from Metrolinx and the TTC regarding the Relief Line. Your assumption that SmartTrack will certainly route into Union may end up being incorrect. Right now SmartTrack is just an election proposal, things can change.

2) Even if it did route into Union, if you're going to Dundas & Yonge (for example), it would still be significantly faster to go from STC to Union via SmartTrack, and take the Yonge Subway north than it would be to take Bloor-Danforth and transfer onto Yonge Southbound. Not to mention it would probably be significantly less crowded.

A couple points:

1) We've yet to hear back on the recommendations from Metrolinx and the TTC regarding the Relief Line. Your assumption that SmartTrack will certainly route into Union may end up being incorrect. Right now SmartTrack is just an election proposal, things can change.

2) Even if it did route into Union, if you're going to Dundas & Yonge (for example), it would still be significantly faster to go from STC to Union via SmartTrack, and take the Yonge Subway north than it would be to take Bloor-Danforth and transfer onto Yonge Southbound. Not to mention it would probably be significantly less crowded.
I don't think anyone in the city is discussing a SmartTrack plan that doesn't go to Union!

So much is riding on the Relief line recommendations. Will Eglinton East's projections see a large increase, will Yonge North see a large decrease, could ST result in a DRL-LRT? Lots of questions...I'm dying to know what will come of both the TTC and Metrolinx's plans (or a hybrid combo). I have a feeling the TTC's short list may be out in a few weeks, but who knows.

So much is riding on the Relief line recommendations. Will Eglinton East's projections see a large increase, will Yonge North see a large decrease, could ST result in a DRL-LRT? Lots of questions...I'm dying to know what will come of both the TTC and Metrolinx's plans (or a hybrid combo). I have a feeling the TTC's short list may be out in a few weeks, but who knows.

I don't think anyone in the city is discussing a SmartTrack plan that doesn't go to Union!

In the short term, you're right nfitz. But as 44 North points out, a lot of configurations of other lines depend on the results of the Relief Line recommendations. Metrolinx is studying the Relief Line specifically from a regional point of view. Do you not think they want to relieve the impending capacity crunch at Union? (hint: they wrote an entire White Paper on it) If Metrolinx can solve the Union capacity crunch and the Yonge Subway capacity crunch with a single project rather than two, do you not think they may recommend that?

Switching the DRL to being part of the GO RER network instead of the TTC subway network instantly changes the analysis on a number of other projects in the region, the Scarborough Subway being one of them.

Cllr Josh Matlow lost all 3 votes to get 3 administrative inquiries on Scarborough subway sent to executive committee for debate #TOpoli

Council votes 36 to 6 to receive the Scarborough subway administrative inquiries for information. Essentially the do nothing option #TOpoli

Don Peat @reporterdonpeat · 51m 51 minutes ago
"People in Scarborough deserve to get on the subway" Glenn DeBaeremaeker #TOpoli

Don Peat @reporterdonpeat · 45m 45 minutes ago
Giorgio Mammoliti says SmartTrack only serves the downtown #TOpoli

So this means the city will continue with designing and building a Bloor/Danforth subway extension to replace the SRT. There's a lot of disagreement on this but at least we can say council made some progress today. Globalnews seemed to grasp this point but not Tstar for some reason.

Regarding the overlapping Smart Track section, one solution is to terminate or delay Smart Track at Kennedy, focus more extensively on where it will go centrally and in the west.

Not true at all. Go ask any kitchen worker, dishwasher, janitor, security worker, etc... downtown where they live an I bet you'll get close half of them saying Scarborough. Downtown may have lost manufacturing jobs but for every condo or office building that goes up in this city it grows in service sector jobs.

I think that most people on this forum fail to understand this which is why there is so much animosity over this project.

I was in support of the LRT option for Scarborough but I don't think it's the end of the world that it has become a subway extension. It has merits to it (All city centres would now be connected via subway).

If anything its actually SmartTrack that is unnecessarily complicating things but what a mess would that be to admit that now..

Matlow, Mammo & Karygiannis, and Ford all shot down in flames today. No surprise at all.

Can we get someone on council to grill Ford on what he thinks Smart Track actually is? You know, the way Matlow revealed Ford's ignorance regarding the Scarborough LRT proposal?

Fancy streetcars, St. Clair disaster, subways subways subways, etc.

What the hell else does he know to say?

Well, nothing. But if you give him a basic yes/no question that's an opportunity for him to reveal his ignorance, it's fun (for a while) to watch him squirm:

Councillor Ford, are you aware that the proposed Smart Track would not in fact operate on the roads?

Do you realize that the vehicles would not be similar to streetcars at all?

Back