News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Maybe they should buy some of Vancouver's old cars to keep the SRT going while building the new LRT corridor nearby??

Maybe they should buy some of Vancouver's old cars to keep the SRT going while building the new LRT corridor nearby??

I believe they'll still need a fully segregated corridor even if they build LRT till McCowan at least. But hopefully, this will help them save lots of money on the extension to Malvern.

The TTC think the SRT can be upgraded in eight months????? I wonder, do TTC planners smoke it or inject it into their arms?

And I doubt a LRT conversion would take a full three years.

However, councillors voted to tell the TTC that of the two options, they prefer having the subway extended to Consumers Road.

They will also inform Scarborough community council they support the construction of the Sheppard subway to the Scarborough Town Centre. But the subway doesn't appear to be in the cards.

Very interesting. At least it seems some councillors are doubting this LRT plan.

Rest in pieces, RT...hopefully.

Also, to the brilliant de Baeremaeker: there won't be any kiss'n'riders at the end of the Sheppard LRT...raccoons don't drive.

I am wondering why the hell they didn't speak up before. It seems that they have many of the doubts we have. What took them so long? It's not like TC or its details were classified. I thought it was fairly obvious that this would disrupt traffic and piss off lots of suburban drivers.

I tweeted and facebooked the David Shiner article. I would advise anyone who is also against Transit City in general and Sheppard East LRT in particular to do the same. If area councillors are recommending the subway extension to Consumers that's pretty significant.

I still don't understand the priority being Sheppard. Extend the Sheppard Line a few stations and replace the SRT with LRT? Does it really make sense that a 2km Sheppard Line extension to Victoria Park Ave would ever carry more than a 2km Bloor Line extension to Lawrence Ave E.? It makes far more sense to me to convert the SRT to Scarborough to subway and convert the Sheppard subway to LRT, perhaps with underground extensions to Victoria Park or Warden.

I still don't understand the priority being Sheppard. Extend the Sheppard Line a few stations and replace the SRT with LRT? Does it really make sense that a 2km Sheppard Line extension to Victoria Park Ave would ever carry more than a 2km Bloor Line extension to Lawrence Ave E.? It makes far more sense to me to convert the SRT to Scarborough to subway and convert the Sheppard subway to LRT, perhaps with underground extensions to Victoria Park or Warden.

Please enlighten us how downgrading a multi-billion dollar investment such as the Sheppard Subway is a good thing? How is spending money to REDUCE capacity a good thing? Talk about throwing away money that could be put to better use.

The easy, doable solution to the SRT is to build a subway from Kennedy to STC while the SRT is still in service. It can even be on a completely different alignment. No shut downs. Period. Except maybe at Kennedy to get rid of the SRT platforms.

Please enlighten us how downgrading a multi-billion dollar investment such as the Sheppard Subway is a good thing? How is spending money to REDUCE capacity a good thing? Talk about throwing away money that could be put to better use.

The tunnel system and stations would not be thrown away nor would the subway cars so the investment is not lost. It would work the same as the Eglinton LRT underground with a platform lower than the subway and electrical overhead. The investment made in the past will almost be fully utilized. Currently they are running four car trains (250 pax/car) every 5 minutes (12000 pax/h). A similar length LRT vehicle made by joining three 35m low-floor LRTs together (295 pax/LRT) running every 4 minutes could handle (13275 pax/h). An LRT can handle the requirement.

The benefit is that it can come up to the surface and provide transfer free connections to more places with less investment. The tunnel could be extended in segments while maintaining a transfer free ride for the whole journey.

Subway tunnel from Yonge to Don Mills with surface LRT to SCC: 1 Transfer
LRT tunnel from Yonge to Don Mills with surface LRT to SCC: 0 Transfers making it faster
LRT tunnel from Yonge to Victoria Park with surface LRT to SCC: 0 Transfers and even faster.
LRT tunnel from Yonge to Warden with surface LRT to SCC: 0 Transfers and even faster still.

In comparison you can't get rid of the transfer with the subway without building the whole thing as subway.

The Sheppard Line from Don Mills to SCC would likely never carry more people than a Bloor Line extension from Kennedy to SCC so why ever build it bigger?

The tunnel system and stations would not be thrown away nor would the subway cars so the investment is not lost. It would work the same as the Eglinton LRT underground with a platform lower than the subway and electrical overhead. The investment made in the past will almost be fully utilized. Currently they are running four car trains (250 pax/car) every 5 minutes (12000 pax/h). A similar length LRT vehicle made by joining three 35m low-floor LRTs together (295 pax/LRT) running every 4 minutes could handle (13275 pax/h). An LRT can handle the requirement.

The benefit is that it can come up to the surface and provide transfer free connections to more places with less investment. The tunnel could be extended in segments while maintaining a transfer free ride for the whole journey.

Subway tunnel from Yonge to Don Mills with surface LRT to SCC: 1 Transfer
LRT tunnel from Yonge to Don Mills with surface LRT to SCC: 0 Transfers making it faster
LRT tunnel from Yonge to Victoria Park with surface LRT to SCC: 0 Transfers and even faster.
LRT tunnel from Yonge to Warden with surface LRT to SCC: 0 Transfers and even faster still.

In comparison you can't get rid of the transfer with the subway without building the whole thing as subway.

The Sheppard Line from Don Mills to SCC would likely never carry more people than a Bloor Line extension from Kennedy to SCC so why ever build it bigger?

I agree, and think that this generally falls in the no-brainer category, but it is not meant to be in the current climate.

The TTC think the SRT can be upgraded in eight months????? I wonder, do TTC planners smoke it or inject it into their arms?

And I doubt a LRT conversion would take a full three years.

No, that is the time it is unavailable. Most work can occur while the system is still running.

Two, one of those options requires resizing the tunnel and other difficult to modify items more than the other.

I am wondering why the hell they didn't speak up before. It seems that they have many of the doubts we have. What took them so long? It's not like TC or its details were classified. I thought it was fairly obvious that this would disrupt traffic and piss off lots of suburban drivers.

Maybe it's because the money for transit is there now. Like I said before, as long as the first LRT is not up and running on Sheppard, it's not over. Eglinton West taught us that much

It's been suggested that the line could be a continuation of the Eglinton LRT line, but what may make it more worthwhile is to continue the Scarborough Line south of Kennedy and perhaps make it's way downtown bypassing having to use the B/D to get there altogether.

Maybe connect with the DRL at Gerrard or something.

Back