News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Not sure how this relates to the Mississauga Transitway or Scarborough in any way.

People are going off on a tangent about the Transitway in Mississauga. Ottawa built one about 20 years ago, and is now replacing it. Phase 2 shows even more replaced.

People are going off on a tangent about the Transitway in Mississauga. Ottawa built one about 20 years ago, and is now replacing it. Phase 2 shows even more replaced.
So? BRT was built first to build up ridership, and when capacity is reached it will be converted to LRT. This is how it should be done. I'm not sure what your point is.

So? BRT was built first to build up ridership, and when capacity is reached it will be converted to LRT. This is how it should be done. I'm not sure what your point is.

Look at what riders face during the replacement. Had they built LRT wa back when, the pains would not be there, and they would hot have had the issue downtown.

High Park and Islington would have. Islington is a jobs centre and High Park was around when there was streetcars.

Not necessarily true:

1941.jpg

In the post-war era, Islington and High Park were both empty lots. It wasn't until after the Bloor-Danforth subway opened in the 1960s before high rise buildings started to appear in these areas. High Park for a fact being so isolated from other built-up areas is wholly reliant on the subway for trafficking people in and out.

The number one selling point for developers to either of these locales is the proximity to subway transit.

I agree.
So then the real problem is STC is in the wrong place. It should be between Kennedy and Birchmount. Part of the reason why STC is lacking development is that it's too far out. The subway won't fix this. I wish people would admit this is a vote buying exercise. So go ahead with it, but let's be honest here.

The problem is that this is not official, the theory is a one stop extension to Cloverdale Mall to help with congestion. If this happens Missiaauga needs to be on board. My problem is the Liberals would use this as an excuse not extend service on the Milton Line.

Nothing's wrong with the location of the Town Centre, everything is wrong with the mentality that neighbouring cities or boroughs have to plan where their Urban Growth Areas are located based on proximity to downtown Toronto. SCC is right off Hwy 401 in the geographic centre of Scarborough, meaning easy access from all corners of the borough. What more could one ask for?

We just need to stop making excuses for bad planning. Whoever in the braintrust did not suggest back in the seventies extending the subway 2 stops further northeast to the Town Centre is the true culprit at fault here. ICTS never should have happened, likewise no LRT when the majority of travelers are seeking a one-seat ride through Kennedy to the Town Centre.

Not necessarily true:

1941.jpg

In the post-war era, Islington and High Park were both empty lots. It wasn't until after the Bloor-Danforth subway opened in the 1960s before high rise buildings started to appear in these areas. High Park for a fact being so isolated from other built-up areas is wholly reliant on the subway for trafficking people in and out.

The number one selling point for developers to either of these locales is the proximity to subway transit.
Right. But these areas would have developed, although at a slower pace. On you're map alone there's nothing at McCowan/Ellesmere but Agincourt and Highland Park have some presence.

Nothing's wrong with the location of the Town Centre, everything is wrong with the mentality that neighbouring cities or boroughs have to plan where their Urban Growth Areas are located based on proximity to downtown Toronto. SCC is right off Hwy 401 in the geographic centre of Scarborough, meaning easy access from all corners of the borough. What more could one ask for?

We just need to stop making excuses for bad planning. Whoever in the braintrust did not suggest back in the seventies extending the subway 2 stops further northeast to the Town Centre is the true culprit at fault here. ICTS never should have happened, likewise no LRT when the majority of travelers are seeking a one-seat ride through Kennedy to the Town Centre.
But proximity to downtown is what matters to developers. IMO, They're trying to appease them with the subway but I still think condo growth will be slow until a jobs plan is developed by the city. But like you said, that requires good planning.

So, build it 1 stop with it laid out so that additional stops can be added.

All it could take is making provisions like building relatively straight sections of trackbed near Brimley-Eglinton and McCowan-Lawrence and that in a way would future-proof the existence of stops in these locations later on.

It's an odd thing, Mayor Crombie won't be campaigning to spend every transit penny they have, and more, to build this.
Mayor Crombie? Gosh, I'm slow on the uptake, I was thinking David Crombie for a minute there. Wouldn't that be perfect!

I'd never realised the last names were the same before. Is there any relation between David Crombie and Bonnie Crombie's husband? I can't see any mentions. But it's not a particularly common name.

Also, their system is over 20 years old.
Older than 20 ... I haven't ridden it in almost 30 years - used to ride it regularly when I lived in Ottawa - all seemed very new then. 34 years old it would appear. Older than the Skytrains in Vancouver, or the SRT in Scarborough. There was talk of it being upgraded to LRT one day back when I used to ride in the late 1980s - and of tunnelling the missing section under downtown.

Older than 20 ... I haven't ridden it in almost 30 years - used to ride it regularly when I lived in Ottawa - all seemed very new then. 34 years old it would appear. Older than the Skytrains in Vancouver, or the SRT in Scarborough. There was talk of it being upgraded to LRT one day back when I used to ride in the late 1980s - and of tunnelling the missing section under downtown.

I couldn't remember exactly how long, but I knew it was older than 20 years.

The first sections of the Ottawa Transitway were built in the early 1980s. Prior to that, it had a crosstown express bus partially using the Queensway (Highway 417).

Just reading back, and missed this:
In the post-war era, Islington and High Park were both empty lots. It wasn't until after the Bloor-Danforth subway opened in the 1960s before high rise buildings started to appear in these areas.
Islington perhaps, I remember a lot of open field although the area was far from "empty", but I severely disagree on High Park. What would be very sought-after homes nowadays were torn down to build the high rise storage containers. Building in empty fields, with caveats, is apt. Not ripping down perfectly good neighbourhoods to do it.

Is infill apt? Absolutely, laneway and backyard residences can be used to almost double density, retain the neighbourhood feel, and allow *private homeowners* to supplement the very high cost of owning.

Use the "High Park" example very carefully. It shows utter disregard for quality neighbourhoods purely for the sake of warehousing persons with little to no interest in contributing to it.

Bravo!

Regarding attractive more development to STC, I don't know if Toronto can do what Laval did.

When Laval got the subway extension, they gave tax credit to businesses and developers willing to move around the new station to increase the density and shape their new downtown.

Toronto could do the same

Last edited:

Back