News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The NYC High Line has a view worth strolling through. Who wants to see a view a view of grass, industrial parks, and random subdivisions..

The NYC High Line has a view worth strolling through. Who wants to see a view a view of grass, industrial parks, and random subdivisions..
Don't forget the Waste Management Yard near Midland Station...I'm sure people will love walking past that and smelling all the garbage!

I'll be a cynic and say perhaps the people who choose to make their home amongst the same grass, industrial parks, and random subdivisions.

Please don't mistake my gripes for subway envy but I get a very real feeling a lot of people in Toronto don't want the former Scarborough to develop into a more agreeable environment. Maybe it makes some of Toronto feel better about itself to have Scarberia-the-bad image out there where the polluting cars, brown people and big box stores live and (fortunately) they don't.

I've noticed that if your walking down 10th, it's actually quicker to go up to the High Line, as you don't have to stop at every traffic light.

Is there a lot of pedestrian traffic walking down Ellesmere from Midland to McCowan?

I'll be a cynic and say perhaps the people who choose to make their home amongst the same grass, industrial parks, and random subdivisions.

Please don't mistake my gripes for subway envy but I get a very real feeling a lot of people in Toronto don't want the former Scarborough to develop into a more agreeable environment. Maybe it makes some of Toronto feel better about itself to have Scarberia-the-bad image out there where the polluting cars, brown people and big box stores live and (fortunately) they don't.

Really? Do you have any source for this feeling?

We should be clear that the elevated bit really only goes through the industrial/garbage section, with a little grass toward STC, IIRC. The subdivision stuff is further South.

The utility of that liner park is questionable.

Instead, it makes sense to preserve the corridor for an LRT or BRT line, as a southern branch of Sheppard line that directly serves STC and the Centennial Progress campus.

Who cares if people further west turn their noses up. Build it for the people who already live there. The more novel ideas built in the 'burbs, the less the 'burbs feels like the 'burbs.

We're not building an elevated park for a few thousand people who live amongst the industrial parks.

And nobody elsewhere in Scarbrough is going to travel to this thing to stare at an industrial park.

We're not building an elevated park for a few thousand people who live amongst the industrial parks.

And nobody elsewhere in Scarbrough is going to travel to this thing to stare at an industrial park.

IMHO, the part of the line that has the most potential is this stretch from that little ravine/park just west of Brimley Road to the train yard east of McCowan. I know it's a gamble whether the downtown latte-sipping elitists would visit. But if they didn't, I don't think anyone would miss them.

Untitled-2.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 754
Last edited:
What if this hypothetical elevated park from just east of Brimley to West of McCowan inspired citizens to demand from their politicians the introduction of a bylaw requiring that all those low lying ugly industrial buildings they can now see be covered in green roofs and/or solar panels? It could be revolutionary.

Because we don't know for sure if there would not be a net financial benefit by not demolishing the guideway for the purposes of a park, I don't think it makes any sense to dismiss the idea outright. This is part of Toronto's transit history, whether folly or neglected. Part of it at least should have some sort of heritage designation in the same way mid-19th century periods are recognized as worth saving.

The infrastructure and space in the existing McCowan station alone has the potential for some interesting public retail option, information booth, park access. Because it's so solid you could build a restaurant right there on top of McCowan Station, accessible from the park in two directions and from the street.

Last edited:
IMHO, the part of the line that has the most potential is this stretch from that little ravine/park just west of Brimley Road to the train yard east of McCowan. I know it's a gamble whether the downtown latte-sipping elitists would visit. But if they didn't, I don't think anyone would miss them.

View attachment 41837

Those parking lots are beautiful. It's time to designate.

I don't understand the scenery argument. It just seems like a thinly veiled dig at the former municipality. It's not like the West Toronto Railpath offers a "nice" view either. But don't get me wrong, I still strongly believe the best solution for the SRT corridor is proper rapid transit expansion.

If we are spending money on the public realm in Scarborough, I would much rather invest in connecting the bike paths and routes through the Scarborough bluffs connecting Downtown/East York with the paths in Port Union.

Back