News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
As continued from Part III...

Not exactly urban, but pretty cool anyway. This was my eccentric room in San Francisco's Hotel des Arts which is located in the French Quater, just north of Union Square.
DSCN4187.jpg

Hotel des Arts (cont.)
DSCN4188.jpg

DSCN4189.jpg

Alcatraz island is run by the National Parks Service and isn't the tourist trap you might think it is.
DSCN4192.jpg

Arriving at Buliding 64.
DSCN4193.jpg

Building 64 (cont.)
DSCN4194.jpg

Inside Building 64.
DSCN4197.jpg

Alcatraz has had many incarnations. Fort Alcatraz, a Civil War-era artillery post, was converted to a military prison in 1907. In 1934 it became a federal maximum-security penitentiary, inspiring films and folklore that have continued long after its closure in 1963.
DSCN4198.jpg

Eighty-nine American Indian protesters occupied the island in 1969–71, claiming it as Indian land.
DSCN4199.jpg

Alcatraz (cont.)
DSCN4200.jpg

Inside the Cellhouse.
DSCN4203.jpg

Some of Alcatraz's most famous inmates included Robert "birdman" Stroud, George "machine gun" Kelly, Al Capone and Henry Young.
DSCN4204.jpg

A typical Alcatraz cell.
DSCN4206.jpg

This part of Alcatraz cellhouse was considered prime real estate due to the unobstructed sunlight.
DSCN4209.jpg

Alcatraz cellhouse (cont.)
DSCN4211.jpg

Solitary confinement.
DSCN4212.jpg

DSCN4213.jpg

Grenade blasts on the floor mark one of many failed prison uprising attempts.
DSCN4214.jpg

DSCN4215.jpg

Alcatraz Island (cont.)
DSCN4217.jpg

San Francisco from Alcatraz Island.
DSCN4219.jpg

Alcatraz Island (cont.)
DSCN4220.jpg

The Golden Gate Bridge from Alcatraz Island.
DSCN4221.jpg

San Francisco from Alcatraz Island (cont.)
DSCN4222.jpg

The cellhouse's Administration Building.
DSCN4223.jpg

Made famous by Clint Eastwood in the movie Escape from Alcatraz. This is one of the infamous cells of the 3-man escape attempt in 1962. All are assumed to have drowned in San Francisco Bay.
DSCN4224.jpg

The cellhouse's eating hall.
DSCN4225.jpg

Alcatraz Island (cont.)
DSCN4226.jpg

DSCN4227.jpg

DSCN4227A.jpg

DSCN4227B.jpg

DSCN4227C.jpg

Departing Alcatraz Island and heading back to Pier 41.
DSCN4227D.jpg

The Bay Bridge and the financial district from the Alcatraz ferry service.
DSCN4228.jpg

San Francisco from the Alcatraz ferry service.
DSCN4229.jpg

A tanker ship in San Francisco Bay.
DSCN4230.jpg

San Francisco from the Alcatraz ferry service (cont.)
DSCN4238.jpg

Pier 39, Telegraph Hill (Coit Tower) and the Transamerica Pyramid.
DSCN4240.jpg

Tanker ship in San Francisco Bay
DSCN4241.jpg

Tanker ship in San Francisco Bay (cont.)
DSCN4243.jpg

The annual lighting of the Christmas tree in The Castro.
DSCN4251.jpg

The annual lighting of the Christmas tree in The Castro (cont.)
DSCN4254.jpg

Powell Street BART and Muni Metro Station as I head back to SFO.
DSCN4255.jpg

...and that was my disco in Frisco!

I hope you enjoyed!

Good Alcatraz (and other SF) pics!

DK416: Good Alcatraz pics! I never made it there during my late 2000 stay. I noticed many people on the tour wearing headphones-were they for a on your own tour? You can call yourself "Darkstar 415" also-SF's Area Code.

Did you do much riding on BART or the MUNI Metro at all? I learned to buy a weekly pass for $9 on my late 2000 trip-I swapped it with my host to borrow his monthly-which was valid on the Cable Cars as well as BART between Embarcadero and Balboa Park-in the City of SF only. Yes-SF is one fascinating city! LI MIKE

What a shame to end on a downer - Alcatraz for the most part.

I guess I am a bit biased in favour of the Native American occupation of Alcatraz. I once dated a Native American woman who also participated in this occupation.

One of the odd things about Alcatraz, before it was a maximum security prison, and before it was officially converted to a military prison in 1907, it was occasionally used to imprison Native Americans. There are many bitter tribes, with relatively recent oral histories, that agree on this particular point. Based on what these histories tell us, these actions go back at least as far as the early 1870s, and perhaps before.

In all fairness, Native Americans themselves ostracised individuals, and sometimes small groups, to Alcatraz for periods of time - not quite like prisons, but rather places of enforced isolation. Perhaps you could call this a milder precursor of things to come.

Alcatraz carries many bad memories for those that have had to stay there. The so-called "Rock' has many ghosts, and many horrors to tell.

Final thanks for all your posts on San Francisco.

Memories.

I'm glad you covered somewhat different ground than I did, where I covered the south Bay waterfront redevelopment, Muni and F-Market more and other nabes, while you got to get out to places I didn't. (And got a better pic of Alamo Square and the over-photographed vista).

Did you get to see the TTC-coloured PCC? I'm not sure if it is running yet.

wow Alcatraz looks like a photographers dream. i love the old buildings. looks like the prison that i went to in philadelphia. and i had no idea that al capone was jailed in there as well.

thx again for the pics.

DK416: Good Alcatraz pics! I never made it there during my late 2000 stay. I noticed many people on the tour wearing headphones-were they for a on your own tour? You can call yourself "Darkstar 415" also-SF's Area Code.

Did you do much riding on BART or the MUNI Metro at all? I learned to buy a weekly pass for $9 on my late 2000 trip-I swapped it with my host to borrow his monthly-which was valid on the Cable Cars as well as BART between Embarcadero and Balboa Park-in the City of SF only. Yes-SF is one fascinating city! LI MIKE

I could get used to Darkstar415, but heart will always be the 416. :p

Yes, the National Park Service gives you headphones (that can be programmed to various different languages) for the tour of the cellblock. It's pretty descriptive and sort of fun to follow along as it tells you to "turn right at the thrid cell on the left, take three steps and look up to the window..." I only got lost once, but was able to rewind back and figured it out from there.

Memories.

I'm glad you covered somewhat different ground than I did, where I covered the south Bay waterfront redevelopment, Muni and F-Market more and other nabes, while you got to get out to places I didn't. (And got a better pic of Alamo Square and the over-photographed vista).

Did you get to see the TTC-coloured PCC? I'm not sure if it is running yet.
I looked for it constantly, but never saw it. I don't think it's in service yet, but was really hoping to see it. :(

thx again for the pics.
No probs, glad you enjoyed!

Woops, missed this one...

I only felt the need to ride BART twice (to and from SFO). It' not very useful in the city, but I quite enjoyed it as something inbetween a GO Train and a TTC subway. I only rode the MUNI Metro a few times as well as it's quite easy to just explore the city by foot. I was also a fan of the F-line historic streetcar line along Market and The Embarcadero. I purchased a 3-day MUNI pass that was good on all MUNI vehicles (including the cable cars). It doesn't include BART though, although I think there's a more expensive version that does if one is interested.

If I had a few more days I would have taken BART out to Berkley and Oakland and explored some more. I'm also sad I didn't make it out to "wine country" but that only gives me another reason to go back at a future point!

Back