8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Carleton Village Residents Association Meeting

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 7pm
Davenport-Perth Neighbourhood Centre, 1900 Davenport Road

The rough boundaries for the CVRA are the CN tracks to the east (Symington), Old Weston Road to the west, CP Tracks to the south (north of Dupont) and St. Clair Ave. West to the north.
If you're a resident within this area and are interested in making a difference to your 'hood, then please make the time to come out and meet your neighbours and get involved!
Agenda is shown below. One item on the agenda that will have major impact on this neighbourhood is the relocation of 11 Division Police HQ from Mavety to 2054 Davenport Road, which has been the location of the original Carleton Village Public School.

CARLETON VILLAGE RESIDENTS’ ASSOCIATION

You are invited to attend the next meeting of
the Carleton Village Residents’ Association

Perth Hall (ground floor)
1900 Davenport Road
Time: July 29th 2008 at 7:00 p.m.

Agenda

1. Adoption of the agenda
2. Adoption of the minutes of the May 27th 2008 meeting
3. Councillor Cesar Palacio’s update
4. The Public Library:
Lillian Necakov-Avalos, the newly-appointed head of the St. Clair/Silverthorn Branch, will be our guest
5. Police Station:
As requested by the motion voted by City Council, we will elect a fourth representative on the Advisory Working Group
6. The Wadsworth Park Tree Festival
7. The Community Health Centre
8. Items of interest for our community
9. Other business
10. Next meeting
11. Meeting adjourned at 8:45 pm

I was impressed when walking down Gillespie Avenue to see that the short street which lost around four grand mature trees over the past couple of years has around four new trees. It's great to see that residents noticed the tree offer.

Relocation 11 Division to Carleton Village School - Update

For those of you not aware, the Heritage Advisory Group met on Friday, March 27th. Representatives from the Toronto Police Services, City of Toronto Community Planning and Urban Design, Stantec Inc., and E.R.A. Architects, as well as two designated community representatives were in attendance. Three possible design drafts were presented at this meeting by the architect of record, Stantec Inc. No affirmative decision has yet been made, however, plans have to be submitted to the Chief of Police by the end of April, so time is of the essence.
The Carleton Village Residents Association is holding its bi-monthly meeting on Tuesday, March 31st, 7pm at the Davenport Perth Neighbourhood Centre, 1900 Davenport to discuss this before submitting our proposal to Stantec Inc. and the T.P.S.
Architects from Stantec Inc. will be in attendance to assist in clarifying the options.
We need to have a healthy turnout for this meeting as a message to the T.P.S. and the architects, the importance this heritage building and the green space around it is to the community so we encourage residents from both sides of the tracks to attend. This is another critical turning point in the planning process that we as a community can help determine the outcome.
It's through the efforts and determination of the CVRA and this community that has allowed us to get this far as the T.P.S. are in no way obligated to preserve any of the original building or any of the green space on the property.
Please show your support by coming out on Tuesday night and bring friends and neighbours.
We look forward to seeing you there!

Carleton Village - New 11 Division Police Station - Update

Bit late out of the starting gate with posting this but I haven't been on here in a while. There is an artist's rendering that I tried to include but couldn't get it to upload for some reason so I've included the link to the page.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/article/74673

Toronto Police Services hosted a public meeting Tuesday, Aug. 25 to present designs for the new 11 Division police station at Davenport Road and Osler Avenue. Here is an artist's rendering of the new station, which is currently the former Carleton Village P.S.
11 Division station plans preserve building's heritage elements
By LISA RAINFORD
August 26, 2009 1:59 PM

Residents commended architects hired by Toronto Police Services for merging the old with the new in their transformation of the former Carleton Village Public School into a state-of-the-art station for 11 Division police.
Michael Moxam and colleague Tom Kyle of the firm Stantec Architecture presented designs for the long-awaited station at Davenport and Osler Avenues during a public meeting Tuesday, Aug. 25 at the nearby Davenport-Perth Neighbourhood Centre.

Carleton Village area resident and residents association member John Sweeney, who has been instrumental in the consultation process since the first public meeting was held in January 2008, applauded Moxam and Kyle for preserving the historical importance of the building. �"I personally am very happy tonight that you've answered our prayers," he said. "This is going to be, I hope, another landmark. I'm very happy for that. This is in my mind a success."

Despite the fact Toronto City Council gave its permission to demolish the building at 2054 Davenport Rd., police expressed a willingness to try and conserve as much of the building as possible given that local residents were in favour of saving it.

"We felt the same," said Moxam. "We've been able to determine as we've gone on how much we could keep. The really iconic piece, which anchors Davenport, this will remain as it is - though with improvements to landscaping."

Stantec Architecture has retained the oldest part of the building, built in 1913, in its entirety and will demolish the 1960s addition to make room for a contemporary police facility in behind. Demolition is scheduled for October.

"We want this to be a very special place in your neighbourhood. We're trying to respect it, respect its history and create a new history, a new public space that belongs to everyone," said Police Chief Bill Blair, who thanked everyone for their commitment and time. "I want to assure you that we want to minimize the impact on the neighbourhood and maximize the benefit. We want to be good neighbours. We can be good neighbours."

The Toronto Police Services' consultant team has worked diligently to devise a plan for a "spectacular" 11 Division, said Enrico Pera, senior project coordinator, facilities management.

"This design addresses policing needs and I think it addresses the needs of the community," Pera said.

It includes a community room, which accommodates 40 people where the school library once was, administration and investigation offices as well as a cell area.

The parkette will be retained and refurbished with the help of the city's parks department. There will be visitor parking on the west side of the building and an accessible ramp leading to the main entrance. The new 11 Division will be a completely barrier-free, accessible building, Moxam said.

"We need to make the building secure yet inviting to the public," he said.

Beyond the visitor parking, there will be additional service parking, which will be separated by a fence. However, the fencing will be incorporated into the landscape. On the public side, the fence will be constructed using a natural hedge, "so you can obscure the view, but get a sense of openness," Kyle said. "Behind that will be a metal fence."

The trees along the sidewalk will be retained and more will be planted, said Kyle.

"We're trying to green and bring shade into the parking area," he added.

The building will have a green roof as well.

Claude Bergeron, chair of the Carleton Village Residents Association, called the new building "magnificent."

"It's been a very easy process and I'm very happy with the results. We will have a landmark in the neighbourhood. The new station is remarkable," he said.

Visit the Toronto Police Services website and the 11 Division page for regular updates at www.torontopolice.on.ca

The project is expected to be completed in November of 2011.

Attachments

• 5a40cce1456a8cf22b5cfae0cff6.jpg
    5a40cce1456a8cf22b5cfae0cff6.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 427
Toronto Star Article Carleton Village - New 11 Division Police Station.

P.S. to my last post...the file did seem to upload after all!

How to save a community landmark

Toronto Star Opinions
Sep 07, 2009 04:30 AM
Carol Goar

This could have been a story about a working class neighbourhood losing a cherished landmark. The demolition order was ready.

It could have been a story about a small community group being brushed aside by municipal decision makers. That is where the plotline was heading.

But someone was smart enough to change the trajectory.

Claude Bergeron, president of the Carleton Village Residents' Association, isn't sure who the hero was – not him, he says modestly.

It might have been a far-sighted architectural team. It might have been an enlightened planner. It might even have been Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair.

What Bergeron can say definitively is that everyone is happy with the outcome: the community, the architects, the police and city hall.

He likes to tell the story. And it's worth hearing because it is a rare example of a clash of visions being resolved to the benefit of all parties.

Last year, city council voted to demolish Carleton Village Public School in the heart of Davenport West neighbourhood. It had 435 students. One wing was already closed.

But the 96-year-old schoolhouse at the corner of Davenport Rd. and Osler St. was a piece of living history and in the eyes of local residents – though not the city – an architectural gem.

The property was acquired by the Toronto Police Service, which needed a site for its new 11 Division station. The existing 50-year-old building could not accommodate the tools of modern law enforcement.

"The community was not informed and that hurt," Bergeron recalled.

The first meeting between the police and the residents did not go well. "They reminded us that they had the power to demolish the building. We weren't at all confident we could save it," Bergeron said.

The first positive sign came when the police hired Stantec Architects, who had transformed a derelict Consumers' Gas building on Parliament St. into a state-of-the art station for 51 Division.

Bergeron accompanied Michael Moxam and Tom Kyle, the architects in charge of the project, on the first tour of the school. "I could see they thought the building was special." But he doubted they could persuade the police to incorporate the old school into the new station. It would be more expensive and pose construction challenges.

The second promising signal was the police chief's personal involvement. Blair came to the neighbourhood, listened to residents' concerns and made it clear he wanted the new police station to be a welcome presence in the community.

Throughout the process, senior officers at 11 Division kept residents abreast of what was going on and answered questions.

In July the architects presented their draft design to the Toronto Police Service Board. Three-quarters of the original schoolhouse had been preserved. An addition, built in the 1960s, would be razed to make room for an eye-pleasing structure that fit the streetscape and provided the police with modern offices, investigation and interview rooms and holding cells. It had a green roof. It was completely barrier-free. The parkette in front of the school had been enhanced.

On Aug. 25 they showed it to the community. "It's magnificent," Bergeron said. Residents commended the architects and the police.

Blair was there for the unveiling. "We want to be good neighbours," he said. "We're trying to respect your neighbourhood, respect its history and create a new history, a new public space that belongs to everyone."

The police earned a lot of goodwill that evening. The residents of Carleton Village got a revitalized landmark. The public got a demonstration that community consultation, done right, can work.

Bergeron is still shaking his head. "It's pretty unusual."

The ribbon-cutting in 2011 will be a fine event.

Carol Goar's column appears Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Thank you Lilibet. The rendering looks good. I'm always glad to see a good combination of an old heritage building and modern modifications. In this neighbourhood especially, it's appropriate.

It's funny that they're demolishing the modernist addition just to do another contemporary addition that's even situated on the site in a similar fashion. Not that it's negative, because the modernist addition was quite bland.

Also, it's a bit disturbing and definitely eye-opening that saving a neighbourhood landmark like this school is considered an exception to the rule which the community had to convince a public body to consider. It should be the standard approach.

It's funny that they're demolishing the modernist addition just to do another contemporary addition that's even situated on the site in a similar fashion. Not that it's negative, because the modernist addition was quite bland.

Well, at least they aren't demolishing the "new" Carleton Village school up the street (a 60s Etherington classic)

New to the 'Hood

Hi,

I'm new-ish to the neighbourhood, and really I'm on the border of Carleton Village / Junction Triangle. Just wondering if anyone can tell me if there's a website for the Carleton Village Resident's Association? I've been seeing the name all over the place, but can't find a website, or anyplace to figure out how to join / get involved. If anyone can point me to the right direction, that'd be great!

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm new-ish to the neighbourhood, and really I'm on the border of Carleton Village / Junction Triangle. Just wondering if anyone can tell me if there's a website for the Carleton Village Resident's Association? I've been seeing the name all over the place, but can't find a website, or anyplace to figure out how to join / get involved. If anyone can point me to the right direction, that'd be great!

Thanks!

I don't think they have a website, but surely someone has email.

Someone you might try contacting...she probably has contact info for the CV RA, as well as other community groups:

Karen Williams, Community Minister
Davenport Perth Community Ministry
1900 Davenport Rd. Toronto, ON M6N 1B7
(416) 657-1558
Email: karenwilliams.dpcm at gmail dot com

Cheers,
Vic
junctiontriangle.ca web guy

Hi,

Thanks!

Hi cybershaz,

The CVRA are holding their first meeting after the summer break tomorrow night. Currently we don't have a web site up and running but that's something that we're working toward.
If you're able to make it out to the meeting, great, and you'll be able to get on the mailing list and find out what's going on. If not, if you care to send me a private message on here with your e-mail address and I can get you added to the mailing list.

Here's the e-mail that went out for the meeting tomorrow night:
Hope you can make it!

After a long summer recess, which I'm sure you all enjoyed, the CVRA will resume its activities. You are all invited to our meeting which will be held at the Davenport-Perth Neighbourhood Centre, 1900 Davenport Rd, on Tuesday September 29th, at 7:00pm.

The following issues will be at the agenda:

1) Police Station. What's next?
2) New Health Centre at the DPNC
3) Clean Train Coalition
4) Association's website

I welcome proposals any of you would like to add to our agenda.

Ground breaks on new 11 Division station

For the complete story plus pics, go to this link
http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/local/article/160808--ground-breaks-on-new-11-division-station

LISA RAINFORD|Nov 06, 2009 - 4:48 PM
Ground breaks on new 11 Division station

Construction to be completed in November 2011

Ground breaks on new 11 Division station. Eleven Division Police broke ground for its new station Friday, Nov. 6. Pictured here are (l-r) Trinity-Spadina Councillor Adam Vaughan, Toronto Police Services Board Chair Alok Mukherjee, Minister of Public Safety Peter Van Loan and Chief William Blair (behind Blair is Parkdale-High Park Councillor Bill Saundercook and in the background is Unit Inspector Peter Lennox of 11 Division). Staff photo/LISA RAINFORD
Eleven Division Police broke ground for the construction of its new $29 million station with the help of Chief William Blair, Canada's Minister of Public Safety Peter Van Loan and Toronto Police Services Board Chair Alok Mukherjee, among other dignitaries, on Friday, Nov. 6.
"I'm having trouble wiping this smile off my face," said Staff Inspector Peter Lennox, standing at a podium in front of the old Carleton Village Public School, which is set to be transformed into a state-of-the-art police facility. "This looks like a construction site, but I'd like you to imagine the land around us rejuvenated, with the 1960s addition gone and an enironmentally friendly building in its place, a big open lobby and a brand new community room that looks like the old library."

The officers who will be moving into the long-awaited facility are very happy, added Lennox, calling the consultation process "an exercise in good will and an exercise in partnership."

Echoing Lennox's words, the chief called the event a celebration.

"Today, we have come together to celebrate, to celebrate the extraordinary partnership between the City of Toronto and the Government of Canada and the greatest partnership, the partnership we have been able to form with all of you," he said. "There is a new trust that has been built. There was a lot of legitimate concerns."

Blair was referring to area residents' insistence that the character of the 100-year-old school building be retained.

"Today is the culmination of months of work together," said Blair. "Today, we are breaking ground for what will be a very special building."

Indeed, architects Michael Moxam and Tom Kyle of Stantec Architecture have committed to preserving its historical importance. Despite the fact that Toronto City Council gave its permission to demolish the building at 2054 Davenport Rd., police expressed a willingness to try and preserve as much of the building as possible given that local residents were in favour of saving it. The oldest portion, built in 1913, will be retained in its entirety and the 1960s addition will be demolished to make room for a contemporary police facility in behind.

"I'm pleased to be here to put the first shovels in the ground," said Van Loan, on behalf of the Federal government, which is providing $9.6 million for the project as part of the Infrastructure Stimulus Fund.

The City of Toronto is providing the remaining balance of $19.3 million.

"This is community-based policing at its finest," said Trinity-Spadina Councillor Adam Vaughan on behalf of Mayor David Miller. "All of us are very proud this vision has come to pass."

"I believe that this innovative building, when completed, will be a welcome addition to the neighbourhood," he said.

The project is expected to be completed in November of 2011.

Back