News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

New community site for the Carleton Village Residents Association

For those of you with an interest in the Junction area community known as Carleton Village, located in the western-most reach of Davenport Road, we now have a site up and running.:D
It's a work-in-progress, and no doubt will continue to evolve, but in the meantime please feel free to check us out and get involved!

http://cvra.wordpress.com/

Request for Volunteer Recruiting for Greenhere

Subject: Volunteer Recruiting for Greenhere published on behalf of GreenHere

Hello All,

The staff at GreenHere are back at it and are looking for some
helpful hands.We are canvassing some moratorium streets in the
Davenport area to offer residents free trees from the city, then we
plan to canvass some more to approach residents we know have potential plantable spots to also offer them a free tree.
We are in need of canvassers who will go around the neighborhood
with a GreenHere staff. Multilingual volunteers are greatly needed to
address the communication barriers we face in our multi-ethnic
community.
So....we are planning to go out (rain or shine and I guess snow or
shine) Monday, Tuesday and Thursday afternoons (1pm-4pm)starting Monday of next week, January18th. We will be doing orientations on a regular basis so everyone will feel comfortable and confident. We will also be doing follow-up on several Saturdays once we have completed the lists (10 am to 1pm).
If you are interested in helping us out with these activities,
please email us back or call the new number below.
Thank you and take good care,

GreenHere staff

GreenHere
416-901-2006
treesforlife@greenhere.ca

This information is also posted on http://cvra.wordpress.com

Proposed Health Centre at Davenport Perth Neighbourhood Centre

Letter from Claude Bergeron, President Carleton Village Residents Association dated January 4, 2010

Cesar,
I wish you and your family all the best for 2010.

Now that the holidays are over, we, in Carleton Village, are gearing up to meet the challenges facing us in this new year. One that you are aware of is the Community Health Centre. You have already received a copy of my letter of October 13th to Kim Fraser, the Executive Director of the DPNC. You know that we are delighted to see this addition to our neighbourhood. Services will be improved, and this project has the potential to contribute to the rejuvenation of Davenport Road. Progress is slow in our neck of the woods, and it is all the more important that each step we take be taken in the right direction. We want to make sure that this project will be carried out well, and I am sure this is also one of your preoccupations. This is an excellent opportunity to improve the front of the church and return to this historical landmark the dignity it once had, a dignity in keeping with a building of that nature.

Unfortunately, there is a risk this opportunity will be missed if the project is carried out as it is presently proposed. I will not repeat what I wrote in my letter to Ms Fraser (I attach it again to this email). We, the residents of Carleton Village, have an issue with the access to the parking garage, and we are convinced that there are better solutions. The best one is accessing and exiting the parking through the laneway behind the tower of Symington Place. There is plenty of space to do it without in the least damaging the magnificent willow tree standing there. To further explore this solution, we have to have discussions with the authorities of the Toronto Community Housing Corporation and planners in the Etobicoke office, like Lisa Galli. If someone else has to be involved too, I am sure you will know who to contact.

The community of Carleton Village hopes you will do all you can to help us to save the environment of this most significant historical building, that is and and has always been the heart of this community. You were not specifically referring to the new health centre when you told us at our meeting of September 29th that you will always support us, but I am confident that your declaration also included your determination to play a constructive and active part in this project.

I look forward to hearing from you soon. I was told, although, as far as I know, it has not been officially announced, that the DPNC is planning a community meeting on January 14th.

Yours truly,

Claude

This information is also posted on http://cvra.wordpress.com

DPNC Community Meeting Rescheduled for January 26th

Please note, the letter to Cesar from Claude Bergeron, President of the Carleton Village Residents Association, stated that the meeting about the new health centre was being held on January 14th at the DPNC.
This meeting has been rescheduled to January 26th, same location, time to be confirmed.

Pile driving on Georgetown Go line has started again today

I posted this in Transportation and Infrastructure as well, but this is also a neighbourhood issue.

I have been trying to work at home today and it's been miserable. The brief respite the community has been able to enjoy came to a pounding end today. I don't understand how Metrolinx and Go Transit can start up again before the hearing this Thursday.
This is a clear indication of their ongoing cavalier attitude toward the communities that have been impacted by their construction methods.

Attend the hearing. A show of force will strengthen residents' chances of maintaining the CTA's injunction.

Where: Federal court, 180 Queen Street West, Suite 200
When: Thursday, January 28, 9:30 a.m.

Tuesday, January 26 @ 7pm Community Consultation for New Health Centre on Davenport

FYI...There is a community consultation meeting Tuesday, January 26th, 7pm, at the Davenport Perth Neighbourhood Centre, 1900 Davenport Road for a new health centre to be located at 1900 Davenport Road (at Symington).
As far as I know representatives from DPNC and the architects with the proposed building plan will be there.
Attendance from the community is encouraged as this project has the potential to change the streetscape of this stretch of Davenport. Community input is vital!

Last edited:
^How close do you live to the tracks/pile driving? A friend of mine lives within 100m of the tracks and honestly, I found the pile-driving sound rather musical.:)
A block over. Not sure what that would be in terms of distance, but frankly the noise is less of a problem than the vibration and shaking. When my windows and chandeliers and household objects are rattling it's stressful and I wouldn't describe it as musical. The weird thing is, when I can see the pile drivers in alignment with my property (due west) I don't seem to experience the same kind of vibration as when they are working further south or further north.

There's a pretty active commerical/employment scene among mixed use buildings on the west side of Miller Street, just south of Davenport and east of Old Weston.

A new rear addition being built to the back of this:

20211228_152317.jpg

This building along Davenport a bit west of Symington beside Lourdes cafe, which I reckon has been vacant for around 8-9 years, has recently put up a "For Lease" sign:

20220227_160030.jpg

The vacant properties at Davenport & Laughton are put up for sale:

20220227_160249.jpg

Reactions: vic
This building along Davenport a bit west of Symington beside Lourdes cafe, which I reckon has been vacant for around 8-9 years, has recently put up a "For Lease" sign:

View attachment 382545

The vacant properties at Davenport & Laughton are put up for sale:

View attachment 382546
I wonder if Davenport and Laughton will be a rebuild. It's been empty and presumably unheated for a few years, with big holes in it. Can't imagine it's in good condition. The place beside Lourdes was a Hindu Cultural Centre, and I wonder what it's like in there now. Also vacant for a long time. Would love to see a bit more life along here.

I wonder if Davenport and Laughton will be a rebuild. It's been empty and presumably unheated for a few years, with big holes in it. Can't imagine it's in good condition. The place beside Lourdes was a Hindu Cultural Centre, and I wonder what it's like in there now. Also vacant for a long time. Would love to see a bit more life along here.

D&L were previously put up for lease only, but it's not surprising to see there's been no retail takers with how poor condition the buildings are in. Although, the property right at the corner is slightly more redeeming with the original brick is mostly present, at this point I wouldn't mind seeing a total rebuild. And have it higher density, which should be encourages considering how Joe's Garden Centre across the street on the SE has a project planned for it too.

Most of the area west Symington does seem to be stuck in a neutral gear. Some gradual building renovations along the way, but mostly with former retail spaces converting into residential. The accumulation of vacant properties really haven't helped, which includes the stagnated projects for the former Chinese restaurant at Davenport & Symington, and the former Bamboo Drapes building at Wiltshere.

Reactions: vic
Some photos taken in early autumn of the various workspace buildings along Pelham Ave (near Osler), and then Adrian Ave (east of Symington), that have seen steady interest in the past decade or so:

20211024_111636.jpg
20211024_111640.jpg
20211024_111714.jpg
20211024_111810.jpg
20211024_112323.jpg
20211024_112341.jpg
20211024_112356.jpg
20211024_112415.jpg
20211024_112436.jpg

Back