News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

That's what I was thinking too. By pointing out that both Miller's and Ford's transit plans are fundamentally flawed (and they were, for different reasons), Gunn has stayed above the fracas of politics.

Yeah, politics is more about emotion than rationality. David Gunn could release a 1,000 page detailed report that argues against what Rob Ford says, and all Rob Ford has to do is say a meaningless soundbite, get Doug Ford to articulate his opposition in a slightly more comprehensible way and toss that report in the garbage.

This is exactly what happened, Ford did not like his plan of not building subways and was told to leave.

Wait, so David Gunn is gone now?

Score one for ideology over rational thought!

Last edited:
His report is in the bird cage. Ford did not like what Gunn wrote in the report about subways being a bad idea and that was it for him. After all Ford is a great visionary and urban planer.

Is his report available for download? I would like to read it.

I do not think he ever wrote report - after his press interview (in which he poured LOTS of cold water on the Mayor's subway plans) I think his invitation (which was from CGM Gary Webster - and was not, I think, actually official) was revoked!

Last edited:
Wonder if the unofficial opposition on city council or a group of private citizens could request a such a report?

He was invited by Webster and I do believe he was here. There is a lot turmoil in TTC upper staff.....3 or 4 top managers have either quit,resigned, moved on to other transit or have moved over to Transit City. Something is brewing and what ever it is it aint good.

He was invited by Webster and I do believe he was here. There is a lot turmoil in TTC upper staff.....3 or 4 top managers have either quit,resigned, moved on to other transit or have moved over to Transit City. Something is brewing and what ever it is it aint good.

Is any of that turmoil directly caused by the mayor's office/staff?

I don't really think so lets be frank I don't really think Ford knows anything about transit or the ongoing daily operations

Its more of senior staff kissing politicians behinds.....they are either extreme or non managerial

ie: on fathers day a Collector received a long distance call from his son wishing him a happy fathers day

either a patron took a picture and submitted it to upper staff or some supervisor saw this......a long story....he is suspended at least 4 months till his arbitration hearing

either a patron took a picture and submitted it to upper staff or some supervisor saw this......a long story....he is suspended at least 4 months till his arbitration hearing
On one hand that seems totally bizarre - I suppose length of call might be an issue.

On the other hand, I still see operators texting while driving (and I don't mean at stop lights!).

Is it that difficult for TTC to come up with a rational policy?

Add to this cell phone issues is subway trains crews talking to each other and it has nothing to do with the line.

I have seen/heard conversation taking place for haft of the run. Sometimes the drivers is talking to someone on the system or outside the system(?).

Seen these phone conversation taking place on surface routes also.

I stand to be corrected, but cell phones are ban from being used while on a vehicle 100% by TTC management/Commissioners. I would go one step further, leave your cell phone in your car, locker or at home, as it will keep you out of hot water.

Our lives are in the hands of the drivers while they are in control of the vehicle they operating. This that call more important than the riders lives, let alone who is every gets hit by the vehicle??

As for David Gunn, my understanding is that Webster wanted him to be the hatch man for Ford plans as well bring upper management inline at a smaller scale. There were a number of things Webster wanted also as to streamlining the existing system into a more cost effected and manageable system, setting up a new fare structure for yearly increase, where expansion should take place as well what type of service/technology it should be. The lower ranks would be looked at where better production/use could be made as well sub contracting work out.

I have said for years there needs to be house cleaning from top to bottom and out sourcing of various sectors for TTC. A few other systems need them also.

Add to this cell phone issues is subway trains crews talking to each other and it has nothing to do with the line.

I have seen/heard conversation taking place for haft of the run. Sometimes the drivers is talking to someone on the system or outside the system(?).

Seen these phone conversation taking place on surface routes also.

I stand to be corrected, but cell phones are ban from being used while on a vehicle 100% by TTC management/Commissioners. I would go one step further, leave your cell phone in your car, locker or at home, as it will keep you out of hot water.

Our lives are in the hands of the drivers while they are in control of the vehicle they operating. This that call more important than the riders lives, let alone who is every gets hit by the vehicle??

As for David Gunn, my understanding is that Webster wanted him to be the hatch man for Ford plans as well bring upper management inline at a smaller scale. There were a number of things Webster wanted also as to streamlining the existing system into a more cost effected and manageable system, setting up a new fare structure for yearly increase, where expansion should take place as well what type of service/technology it should be. The lower ranks would be looked at where better production/use could be made as well sub contracting work out.

I have said for years there needs to be house cleaning from top to bottom and out sourcing of various sectors for TTC. A few other systems need them also.

how is it that on Gary Websters watch the TTC has basically disintegrated and he seems to get none of the blame. he is the chief general manager and should be fired for what has allowed to happen to the TTC since Ducharme left

how is it that on Gary Websters watch the TTC has basically disintegrated and he seems to get none of the blame. he is the chief general manager and should be fired for what has allowed to happen to the TTC since Ducharme left
I'm not sure how you think TTC has disintegrated since 2006. Customer service doesn't seem particularly worse ... actually seems better. There's more buses on the road than 2006, and several routes I use have better service than they did in 2006. Since 2006 we've seen the large-scale purchase of new subway and streetcar equipment, along with continued bus purchases, along with a start on both the Spadina extension and the Eglinton line. More service, new equipment, better customer service, new infrastructure.

Stations and buses don't seem any dirtier ... some even seem a bit cleaner, with some fresh paint finally.

In what way has the system disintegrated in only 5 years?

Back