News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Previously, the Days Inn lobby/mall lead from Carlton St. to the 33 Wood apartments (which also looms over the Gardens). Does anyone know if this convenience will be retained? They also shared the same facilities (pool, gym etc.), I wonder if that will continue.

I doubt it......new ownership, new rules.

It will be interesting to see what happens here, an apartment complex (with a Tenant's Association) which loses it's recreational facilities or a Holiday Inn which offers no facilities.

Working on the new ground floor facade. See post #31 for renders.

days1.jpg

It will be interesting to see what happens here, an apartment complex (with a Tenant's Association) which loses it's recreational facilities or a Holiday Inn which offers no facilities.

Why wouldn't preexisting agreements stay in place? I guess it depends how they were worded/how long they were effective for.

If I were the holiday inn owners, I would negotiate pool access in exchange for an agreement on window coverings. The Wood building windows are festooned with flags, blankets, sheets, and laundry. The neighboring apartment has control over this sort of visual pollution, and even though the structure itself looms awkwardly in comparison, it presents a fairer face. A beautiful example of "what not to wear."

If I were the holiday inn owners, I would negotiate pool access in exchange for an agreement on window coverings. The Wood building windows are festooned with flags, blankets, sheets, and laundry. The neighboring apartment has control over this sort of visual pollution, and even though the structure itself looms awkwardly in comparison, it presents a fairer face. A beautiful example of "what not to wear."

33 Wood (the building you refer to) is a decent building with good sized apartments but it's very transient and takes in lots of students from August to May. I'm not making excuses, it looks bad but it's the nature of the beast for many buildings within a few miles of UoT & Ryerson. I've even seen off coloured sheets up in the higher end rentals (The Bay Club, Residences On Bloor etc.,).

I've always got a "high-rise brothel" feel about the Maples and 33 Wood--must have been some heavy activity there back in the days of the Maple Leafs and visiting rock stars...

I've always got a "high-rise brothel" feel about the Maples and 33 Wood--must have been some heavy activity there back in the days of the Maple Leafs and visiting rock stars...

My very first apartment waaay back when was at 20 Carlton (The Maples), they're all very small units in both Maples buildings. It was a very clean and well run complex back then but believe it or not I had a really pretty (and nice) sex trade worker directly across the hall from me. For the first few months I thought, gee she has a lot of friends ('DA!) and sometime later I got talking to the security guard on my way home from work and he gave me the low-down.

correct me if i am wrong, but did they just install those new glass panels? ^^^. they look great! if they light this lobby up at night, there should be some new life along Carlton! (especially with Maple Leaf Gardens renovation coming soon!)

Yup, it's all brand new. Your right, it's going to open up this section of the street. It was kind of dead before. Look to the far lower left of the pic and you can see the windows come down a lot lower than the old ones. There's also supposed to be new signage and a glass canopy running the length of the building. The pic actually shows workers drilling holes for the brackets holding either the new sign or the canopy.

An update from today of the Carlton Street exterior

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

looking good... however, it's still such a shame how old and bare the rest of the building is though (exterior). You can clean it up all you want but at the end of the day, it still looks same old :(

^ I don't think there's anything that could be done to make this building attractive.

Back