News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

it's because there are no merits and therefore all arguments for are based on emotions

I disagree. There are plenty of facts on the table here.

FACT: population density of Scarborough is lower than downtown Toronto and North York

FACT: ridership at Scarborough Centre is below the threshold to warrant a subway

FACT: nobody believes $3B+ for a one stop subway is value for money

FACT: there is a finite amount of capital funds available to fund public transit expansion in Toronto

FACT: a fully-funded LRT system with more stations, kilometres of track, and population served in Scarborough was rejected

FACT: there is NO CONSIPIRACY, no HIDDEN AGENDA, no ANGER, no HATRED or any such fantasies against Scarborough or its residents.

Add all of those together and the facts speak loud and clear: the one stop subway is one of if not THE largest boondoggle in the history of capital projects undertaken by the city of Toronto or its progenitors. This is and will continue to hobble the flexibility of this city to build any and all other public transit lines where density and ridership much more clearly warrant.

Reactions: syn
He has admitted both aliases are the same person.

Coffey1 was banned for personal attacks on people pointing out his stupidity. As “OneCity”, he has toned down the personal attacks, but the stupidity is very much still there.

Surprisingly, your own stupidity doesn't get you banned, even though it is aggravated by the lack of any meaningful input.

If etobicoke is serviced sufficiently by good access to the spadina line then aren't you also saying that scarborough would be sufficiently serviced with good access to a drl?

The Don Mills line will be very handy for the western part of Scarborough.

However I can't attest that it will sufficiently serve the whole Scarborough. It is quite a bit larger than Etobicoke. Almost all of Etobicoke will be within 10 km of the closest subway station once TYSSE opens, while the eastern Scarborough would be within 15 km of the closest subway station even if the full length of Don Mills line already existed.

Maybe I should have said all pro subway arguments are based on emotions

Maybe I should say that some of the persistent, on the edge of fixation, anti-subway arguments are based on much stronger emotions, even though such emotions are hard for me to understand.

"Don't forget that Scarborough has larger area than Etobicoke, and more residents."

You just explained exactly why there hasn't been any further subway development there - a lack of density, and the foolish idea to build their city centre/mall about 10km from Scarborough's closest subway station, combined with an RT line that's served Scarborough well.

You conveniently ignored the second half of my sentence, "and more residents".

Density matters, however the total number of potential riders matters more. Whether the riders walk into higher-order transit stations or arrive on feeder buses, they still use the system and allow it to fulfill its mandate.

Maybe I should say that some of the persistent, on the edge of fixation, anti-subway arguments are based on much stronger emotions, even though such emotions are hard for me to understand.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

The Don Mills line will be very handy for the western part of Scarborough.

However I can't attest that it will sufficiently serve the whole Scarborough. It is quite a bit larger than Etobicoke. Almost all of Etobicoke will be within 10 km of the closest subway station once TYSSE opens, while the eastern Scarborough would be within 15 km of the closest subway station even if the full length of Don Mills line already existed.

You can look at the TTC’s service summaries for bus routes to see how long it takes to travel to Don Mills from various points in Scarborough. And then look at the Yonge Relief Network Study for expected travel times on the Relief Line. Combine those two data sets, and you’ll see that the DRL is the fastest way downtown for a huge part of Scarborough, even areas deep east into Scarborough. It’ll almost certainly have a wider service area than the Scarborough Subway for downtown-bound travel.

It’ll definitely be faster for anyone west of McCowan road and along the Crosstown East LRT.

You can look at the TTC’s service summaries for bus routes to see how long it takes to travel to Don Mills from various points in Scarborough. And then look at the Yonge Relief Network Study for expected travel times on the Relief Line. Combine those two data sets, and you’ll see that the DRL is the fastest way downtown for a huge part of Scarborough, even areas deep east into Scarborough. It’ll almost certainly have a wider service area than the Scarborough Subway for downtown-bound travel.

It’ll definitely be faster for anyone west of McCowan road and along the Crosstown East LRT.

Staring west of McCowan road, for sure.

Starting near Crosstown East, or at other points east of McCowan, not so sure. I would think that a trip on subway, diagonally from Kennedy to Vic Park and then straight west to Pape/Danforth, should be faster than a trip on Eglinton LRT to Don Mills and then down the Relief line. The first trip is slightly shorter and uses a slightly faster line.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Good quote. Not sure if you think those "stupid people" are me, yourself, or another party.

Actually I know a good candidate (not you, not me, but present in this thread) but shall refrain from pointing to that nick explicitly.

Staring west of McCowan road, for sure.

Starting near Crosstown East, or at other points east of McCowan, not so sure. I would think that a trip on subway, diagonally from Kennedy to Vic Park and then straight west to Pape/Danforth, should be faster than a trip on Eglinton LRT to Don Mills and then down the Relief line. The first trip is slightly shorter and uses a slightly faster line.

If they live that far east, neither subway option would be attractive. RER/Sbahn should be the preferred mode of transit out there in the boonies.

Back