News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Have you thought about Liberty Village or south etobicoke? Or even High Park or the Kingsway area?

You shouldn't be turned off of living downtown--each condo building is essentially a vertical subdivision!

As usual you speak in general terms. I'm not so familiar with Yonge and Eglinton so please be specific as to how it is superior in every way.

Are you kidding?

*access to midtown/downtown amenities
*better restaurants
*better stores
*nicer streetscape
*multiple ravines

Enough for ya?

If you're gonna live at Bayview & Sheppard, I hope you like Bayview Village! There's absolutely nothing else nearby.

Sorry but Bayview village < Ikea.

Ikea is more of an attraction than that worn out old folks mall.

If your looking at things for a more "community vibe" rather than a downtown attraction, Bayview and Shepperd isn't bad but there really isn't much there, not really a problem if you have a car though.

Personally I prefer Y&401 but that's because I have bad memories of B.S. @ B&S
(some personal dark humour here).

Yeah, that's the point, there's *nothing* at Bayview & Sheppard except Bayview Village and a bunch of bungalows. IKEA isn't really that close and it's hard to walk to.

In any case, just make sure you want to live where you want to live. If you're not really concerned about the place as an investment rather than as a place to live then just go with how you feel about it.

Only investors would worry about it, in general for the long term, either one is going to increase in value.

noise

Pancsi, are you living pretty close to yonge? Is it noisey at all?\

We haven't actually moved yet so I can't tell you about the noise. We will be in one of the higher floors, and although a corner unit, much of it faces away from Yonge so I don't expect it be be too noisy.

Are you kidding?

*access to midtown/downtown amenities
*better restaurants
*better stores
*nicer streetscape
*multiple ravines

Enough for ya?

There is two subway stations between Eglinton and Sheppard so I'm guessing an extra 5 minutes or so to get downtown from Sheppard. This is a trade off I'm willing to make considering the easy access to the 401.

Better Restaurants and stores in the Yonge/Eglinton area is probably true but for our lifestyle there are more activities we use in the Sheppard area.

Nicer streetscapes is probably true (although Yonge and Eglinton is not without its less pleasing areas. IE: the TTC building a bus terminal is somewhat of an eyesore). But nothing is static in real estate and given time I think the Yonge/Sheppard area will improve (see earlier posting in this thread concerning future developments).

Ravines: Towards bathurst there is a large park system and it includes Earl Bales Park which features a small outdoor theatre (not exactly the Dream in Highpark but it can be fun nevertheless). A decent public golf course is just down the street as well (very busy I'll grant you but convenient just the same).

In addition to this we still have access to live theatre/concerts in the Toronto Centre for performing arts and an olympic pool. These things suit our lifestyle.

Please note that in no way am I being critical of the Yonge/Eglinton area. It is one of the city's best but for my money I chose the Yonge/Sheppard area because it works for us.

I lived on Yonge between Shepp and Finch for a year, and Bayview Village for a year. Yonge street has newer condos, places to walk to. My wife and I both in our 20s found ourselves wanting to go back to yonge street for some fun when we were at bayview/shepp. If you like eating out, karyoke, go for walks with lots of ppl around but not as "downtowny" as yonge/egg, go for yonge/shepp or up to yonge/finch. Yonge and 401 doesn't feel like part of the community as it is in its own pocket away from everything.

Bayview village while cheaper, has some benefits. Yes, bayview village is expensive and "uppity", but there is a loblaws, lcbo, shoppers, med/dental offices there. Also there is a YMCA walking distance from NYC condos, which just so happens to be right by the subway entrance, and 401 exit!
I have a feeling that this location will grow A LOT in next few years, as concord is building 12+ condos where cdn tire is. The area behind bayview village has some parks and makes for quiet walks.

If you want more action go for yonge/shepp or more north....same accessibility, less action, less shops, quieter go for bayview.

There is two subway stations between Eglinton and Sheppard so I'm guessing an extra 5 minutes or so to get downtown from Sheppard. This is a trade off I'm willing to make considering the easy access to the 401.

Better Restaurants and stores in the Yonge/Eglinton area is probably true but for our lifestyle there are more activities we use in the Sheppard area.

Nicer streetscapes is probably true (although Yonge and Eglinton is not without its less pleasing areas. IE: the TTC building a bus terminal is somewhat of an eyesore). But nothing is static in real estate and given time I think the Yonge/Sheppard area will improve (see earlier posting in this thread concerning future developments).

Ravines: Towards bathurst there is a large park system and it includes Earl Bales Park which features a small outdoor theatre (not exactly the Dream in Highpark but it can be fun nevertheless). A decent public golf course is just down the street as well (very busy I'll grant you but convenient just the same).

In addition to this we still have access to live theatre/concerts in the Toronto Centre for performing arts and an olympic pool. These things suit our lifestyle.

Please note that in no way am I being critical of the Yonge/Eglinton area. It is one of the city's best but for my money I chose the Yonge/Sheppard area because it works for us.

Well said. I think you've made some very good points.

It's hard to pronounce judgment on North York Centre because literally 50% of it is either a construction site, or a soon-to-be construction site. Demographics are changing so fast (from white widows to a currently random mix to ???) that dismissing the area based on local retail and restaurants is exceedingly premature. Give it some time.

The Yonge & Eglinton area, though, is where I'd sooner invest $$$...it slightly boggles the mind why people pay over $1 million for Willowdale McMansions when they can get a nice house further south for similar dollars. But, of course, I'd rather live in the cheapest house in an expensive area than the best house in a cheaper area.

pancsi,

I'd have to agree with investor. If you're looking at a good return on investment, Yonge and Eglinton is a much better area to invest in than Yonge and Sheppard. The latter though, has better highway access, so if you're commuting out of the city, it would be a better choice.

Personally speaking though, if me and my wife were in the same situation as you, I know I'd probably pick Y&E.

The Yonge & Eglinton area, though, is where I'd sooner invest $$$...it slightly boggles the mind why people pay over $1 million for Willowdale McMansions when they can get a nice house further south for similar dollars. But, of course, I'd rather live in the cheapest house in an expensive area than the best house in a cheaper area.

Because they're looking for a McMansion lifestyle. I would pick a house that's older with more character than something that's new and lot oversized.

Jarrek: yeah, I know what they want, I just laugh quietly to myself when contemplating *why* they want it. That's the slightly mind boggling part, the McMansion desire within the 416...it's usually more of a 905, get me the hell out of Toronto thing. This also applies to residents of classy new streets like Mathersfield, True Davidson, etc. If this was SuburbanToronto, there'd be people pondering why so many people would buy a house in Parkdale or the Annex when you can get a nicer, better, newer house in Richmond Hill.

poppajojo: Willowdale prices are going up, yes, but the main reason is that McMansions are replacing bungalows...naturally, when the square footage of a property triples, the value goes up. Bungalows sitting on good lots are then subject to speculation - we'll see what happens when there's no more bungalows left to fuel the McMansionization, whether it be speculative or desired. But yeah, I agree with the potential part, if only because it's so unfinished.

You guys are confusing higher sales prices for area appreciation.

Tearing down a bungalow bought for $750k and building a 4000 sq. ft. stucco special that sells for $1,500,000 (to someone with incredibly poor taste of course) is hardly the same kind of appreciation you see at Yonge & Eg where the identical 1950s-vintage 2-storey brick home went from $500k in 2004 to $800k in 2007.

With only minimal embellishment, Willowdale/Yonge & Sheppard is a hollow, heartless, void loaded with large, ugly, offensive and boorish vegas-style condos catering to foreign owners and transient residents. Property values in that area will not nearly keep pace with what's going out farther south. Unless your idea of excitement is the Sheppard Centre Grande Theatres the area has about as much appeal as a 75 year old hooker.

Willowdale's McMansions are getting ever large and more elaborate...but that doesn't mean quality's going up. Some McMansions built in the 80s are positively quaint in comparison. An older McMansion going from, say, $900K to $1.2M over the past few years isn't such a big deal...semis in Scarborough have gone up just as much.

Tearing down a bungalow bought for $750k and building a 4000 sq. ft. stucco special that sells for $1,500,000 (to someone with incredibly poor taste of course) is hardly the same kind of appreciation you see at Yonge & Eg where the identical 1950s-vintage 2-storey brick home went from $500k in 2004 to $800k in 2007.

I never said it was the same...Willowdale's housing stock will see almost complete turnover soon, while Yonge & Eglinton's houses mainly just get renovated. That's why I suggested the increases can't be compared, at least not until Willowdale stabilizes as an area of exclusively McMansions.

And I guess Yonge & Eglinton is like a 60 year old hooker - it's better than 75, but still...

Back