News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Surely they could find a more likeable leader.. The Liberals will certainly not be back if this is the case

Last edited:
Surely they could find a more likeable leader.. The Liberals will certainly not be back if this is the case
One could say the same of the PCs ... the latest poll puts the Liberals at 37% support with the interim leader, compared to 22% for the NDP under Horwarth and 21% for the PCs under Ford (and 11% for the Greens under Scheiner).

With Del Luca as the leader, the Liberals still lead, but are only at 34% support (ignoring the undecided), with Horwath at 25% and Ford at 28% and PCs at 24%.

Interestingly, with John Tory leading the Liberals (as if!) the Liberals are up to 42%.

Everyone leader they tested, put the Liberals at number one. But yes, with a more likeable leader is needed.

However, looks like the Liberals maybe back no matter what, if this poll holds up and/or Ford's spiral continues.

Apparently "peak hours" is only two hours per day. Who knew. Also, only the Gardiner west of the Humber to 427 was downloaded to the City; everything east was always municipal.
That quote must have been from the Del Duca press release.
No media outlet worth it's salt would state facts in such as biased way. Even then, I think most would feel obliged to correct a misleading fact.

These include the Gardiner Expressway, which was downloaded to the city in 1997 by then Conservative premier Mike Harris, and the Don Valley Parkway in Toronto, Hamilton’s Red Hill Expressway, and the E.C. Row Expressway in Windsor.
Maybe the question is; "which freeway should be uploaded.
I think the way QEW was pre 1997 made no sense at all.

#1: Upload Gardiner and DVP. However, I recall the City of Toronto recently (~3 years ago) said they don't want an upload.
#2: Red Hill Expwy and Lincoln Alexander Pkwy.
#3: E.C. Row in Windsor or Queensway East in Ottawa.

If Del Duca leads the Liberal Party, we're not gonna have to worry about any Liberal transit plans.
Something many are assuming is that Ford would continue leading the OntCons. Highly unlikely. Del Duca would win against Ford. Ted Bundy would win against Ford.

The Cons aren't stupid enough to run Ford, if Ford even makes it to the next election, let alone is chosen to be loser...whoops...leader again.

Del Duca's electability must be measured against a real contender, and that won't be Ford.

Something many are assuming is that Ford would continue leading the OntCons. Highly unlikely. Del Duca would win against Ford. Ted Bundy would win against Ford.

The Cons aren't stupid enough to run Ford, if Ford even makes it to the next election, let alone is chosen to be loser...whoops...leader again.

Del Duca's electability must be measured against a real contender, and that won't be Ford.

They would need to hold a leadership convention, which isn't in the cards unless the current leader resigns. Ford is their candidate for the next election. Considering that he won the last election, and the entire party seems to have his back, there is very little chance that anything will result in a new leadership campaign for the PCs.

Edit: A Patrick Brown level scandal could also result in a leadership convention being called - though the Ford's seem to be teflon when it comes to having scandal and controversy stick to them.

Last edited:
At this rate, not resign, but pushed. I hope they *do* run Ford again. It woud be a death-knell for the Party, albeit excellent opportunities to go and boo Ford. I like it!

If Trudeau wins in October, I think the next election could still swing for the PC's in Ontario. If Scheer wins, I think the PC's are toast no matter who they have as leader.

That being said.... Del Duca needs to go back to bed. The Liberals need change, not more of what brought them to ruin.

This is my opinion as well- the Cons would be silly not to soften their image before the next election- there could be several ways to approach this:

- They can either attempt to roll up all the budget cuts around Ford and make it as if they were his ideas (detaching them from the PCs ), before tossing Ford off the proverbial `Me-too' pier.
- They can attempt to balance the budget ahead of time and use the 'Bitter medicine' reasoning for the cuts. Bonus points if we don't enter another recession before the next election.
- They will likely attempt to create more generous budgets in 2021 ahead of the next election in 2022- they need at least a year to shed the 'service-cutter' image.

This is my opinion as well- the Cons would be silly not to soften their image before the next election- there could be several ways to approach this:

- They can either attempt to roll up all the budget cuts around Ford and make it as if they were his ideas (detaching them from the PCs ), before tossing Ford off the proverbial `Me-too' pier.
- They can attempt to balance the budget ahead of time and use the 'Bitter medicine' reasoning for the cuts. Bonus points if we don't enter another recession before the next election.
- They will likely attempt to create more generous budgets in 2021 ahead of the next election in 2022- they need at least a year to shed the 'service-cutter' image.

I can't see them hanging this all on Ford. There are too many ministers who are now complicit in the cost cutting (Elliott, Mulroney, Fedeli, Yurek, Thomspon, MacLeod, Clark - just to name a few....and Oosterhoff) who will never be able to wipe the traces off their lapels. It's a true team effort. So option 1 doesn't work.

The question is whether they can defer or disavow further tax cuts. If they can balance the budget, and then grow from there, then they have hope of announcing reversals or new programs that soften the blows of what they have been implementing. As the economy grows, the added revenue will allow some good news to emerge. The sooner they reach that balance point, and have some room for spending on a balanced platform, the better they will fare.

If they intend to reduce revenue further, and keep up this fiction of finding economies that don't hurt anyone, they are likely in for a continued rough ride.

I see far more likelihood of people holding their noses and reelecting Trudeau than of that happening at the Ontario level. The dislike of the McGuinty/Wynne/DelDuca brand of slease runs that deep. I can see Ford getting reelected no matter how unpopular he is now, if the Liberals don't reform deep enough.

- Paul

Or throw him under the bu....oh...they cancelled them. "Under the subway" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
I can't see them hanging this all on Ford. There are too many ministers who are now complicit in the cost cutting (Elliott, Mulroney, Fedeli, Yurek, Thomspon, MacLeod, Clark - just to name a few....and Oosterhoff) who will never be able to wipe the traces off their lapels. It's a true team effort. So option 1 doesn't work.
You did write "just to name a few"...but if he survives the LSE extension fiasco (and he's only been showing his head in the Carbon Tax Challenge fiasco) is Rod Phillips. It's hard to know how easy or not it's going to be to 'wash the shit off' from Ford's Follies.
I can see Ford getting reelected no matter how unpopular he is now, if the Liberals don't reform deep enough.
I'm reminded of the choice between a serated knife or a rusty razor blade to get slashed by.

Beside all his past peccadilloes, Il Duce is about as solid as a marshmallow.

Both parties had best come up with something far better. Or not. I like the idea of the Greens doing well, and forming the backbone of the Opposition, inevitably in a coalition...or maybe sharing power with one.

Back