News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It looks like he'll get us a subway on Eglinton and on Sheppard.

And you know this how? Especially since the people who are signing the cheques say there is money for one but not both.

Maybe Ford will redirect the savings from cutting the council office budgets and providing food for late-running meetings to make this a reality?

Well, he could keep the underground section on Eglinton and use the Sheppard money to build a subway to ... well to Victoria Park ... so technically he could get us a stubway on both Eglinton and Sheppard.

Maybe Ford will redirect the savings from cutting the council office budgets and providing food for late-running meetings to make this a reality?

I believe he's already cut enough gravy to build somewhere in the ballpark of an inch or two of subway. He'll get that Sheppard train east past Don Mills yet, eliminated sandwich by eliminated sandwich. :)

That makes no sense at all. Passenger demand on Eglinton can be dealt with LRT. Why would one propose subway?

If a the demand on a route where you want a subway will always have a lower demand than a place which is targeted to get LRT, then it hurts your case for a subway where you want it. Sheppard east of Don Mills is unlikely to ever have demand greater than the core of the Eglinton route or the SRT, so for a subway on Sheppard East to make sense you need to lower the ridership threshold for which subways make sense to a level where all three routes would make sense as a subway. Why aren't you understanding this? If something doesn't make sense but you want it to make sense... change the parameters of sensibility. Basically the thought is "I reject your reality and substitute it with my own".

If a the demand on a route where you want a subway will always have a lower demand than a place which is targeted to get LRT, then it hurts your case for a subway where you want it. Sheppard east of Don Mills is unlikely to ever have demand greater than the core of the Eglinton route or the SRT, so for a subway on Sheppard East to make sense you need to lower the ridership threshold for which subways make sense to a level where all three routes would make sense as a subway.
... so you point is that we should change the criteria where you need subway to a lower number ... to justify subway?

Why aren't you understanding this?
Perhaps because it makes no sense.

... so you point is that we should change the criteria where you need subway to a lower number ... to justify subway?

Exactly. Obviously Transit City makes sense logically because it uses the least amount of money to deliver transit improvements across the city and meets the expected capacity requirements. So we replace that logic with false logic and a touch of truthiness and voila... subways make sense on Sheppard again. Yay!

I don't think EnviroTO is using any doublethink. It makes sense to me.

People say that a subway is justified on Sheppard, but not on Eglinton. He's just pointing out that this doesn't make sense because Eglinton has higher demand than Sheppard, so if there is enough demand for a Sheppard subway, then there is enough demand for an Eglinton subway too.

It's true, a subway is absolutely necessary on Eglinton. It's a good thing Mayor Ford is against LRT which means Eglinton will get built as a subway instead.

It's true, a subway is absolutely necessary on Eglinton. It's a good thing Mayor Ford is against LRT which means Eglinton will get built as a subway instead.
Barring a major issue with cancellation fees, I think Eglinton will be shelved. At most Ford will get B-D and a Sheppard extension underway in this term, and that's pushing it.

I could see Ford trying to appease Eglinton area councilors by promising something there for the latter part of the decade, assuming his apparently soon-to-be released transportation plan is a more than just a fantasy.

Transit City was unveiled on March 16, 2007 following the '06 election, so let's see when the Gravy Train Plan gets unveiled.

Last edited:
Barring a major issue with cancellation fees, I think Eglinton will be shelved. At most Ford will get B-D and a Sheppard extension underway in this term, and that's pushing it.
All the reports indicate that the underground section of Eglinton is still going ahead. This is what the front page of the newspaper says at least:

Ford-Transit City hybrid plan in the works Metrolinx certainly seems to be making it very clear that Eglinton is staying.

Transit City was unveiled on March 16, 2007 following the '06 election, so let's see when the Gravy Train Plan gets unveiled.
By end of January according to the report - possibly even the January 26, 2011 Metrolinx meeting.

Back