News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...lery-district-but-still-make-it-liveable.html

The Star is onto the dubious decision to approve a 49 tower that will turn Trinity Square into a dark shadowy wind-tunnel... This on the heels of the beautiful Saucier & Perotte proposal at 60 Mill Street being cut down dramatically for reasons that are not entirely clear.

Except even City planning staff issued a report last year saying that 45 storeys would have no undue shadow impacts.

And agree with them or not, the staff reports are quite clear about the reasons for not wanting a tower above 60 Mill Street.

Last edited:
The whole area is becoming unlivable for the residents. They didn't sign up to live in some Disney Mainstreet USA fake neighbourhood crowded with mobs every weekend. These new proposed buildings will make it much worse. I say wait for ROW or DRL to be built at least.

You mean the residents that moved into a tourist district?

While the Distillery District is still going through growing pains, we can all agree that is is much more successful than its eastern counterpart, Liberty Village, by almost every metric.

The whole area is becoming unlivable for the residents. They didn't sign up to live in some Disney Mainstreet USA fake neighbourhood crowded with mobs every weekend. These new proposed buildings will make it much worse. I say wait for ROW or DRL to be built at least.

Reason why I didn't buy there. Loved it at first but we went on viewings and the place was always so crowded. Great place to visit, not so great to live.

Reason why I didn't buy there. Loved it at first but we went on viewings and the place was always so crowded. Great place to visit, not so great to live.
That's what I love about my neighbourhood, Cabbagetown. It's walkable for the locals and visitors, and there's firm division between retail and housing, as opposed to Distillery.

While the Distillery District is still going through growing pains, we can all agree that is is much more successful than its eastern counterpart, Liberty Village, by almost every metric.

Although the comparison is somewhat unfair because of the size differences, Liberty Village has more residential and commercial buildings and therefore both houses more people and contributes more to the economy. Density and GDP are important metrics (even if we don't track GDP on a neighbourhood level).

There are serious issues here, as there are in many other neighbourhoods - but I disagree with the assertion that its unliveable.

This neighbourhood has just been non-stop development in recent years, and I think that's contributed to the difficulties in living here more than it being a tourist locale. At the same time, I have to wonder if the reason why folks choose to steer clear is because they're drivers. Personally, I don't drive, so I don't know the frustration of spending 45min trying to get into my garage because of a slew of tourists and buses.

We've definitely been let down by the city in the endless construction, and lack of traffic management on Mill St. And speaking of Mill St., we were promised a parkette beside the Data Centre during planning, but have yet to see it be more than a car lot for the dealership on Front.

But for the most part, I walk to No Frills, Loblaws, St. Lawrence Market, Metro and T&T. I take the (crowded) King streetcar, or either the 121 or 65 bus. All the delivery services get me food and parcels at my door. I enjoy a good walk over to Corktown Commons, a cycle up to Cherry Beach, or a work out at the nearby YMCA. I've got a ton of options for dinner if I need to entertain, and I like heading down to check out ArtFest, or the Leslieville Flea (winter) or whatever other event is going on downstairs.

And that's before we get East Harbour, the port lands and waterfront development, Google/Alphabet's city project, Daniel's Waterfront and the Sugar Beach Innovation Centre, which hopefully will provide walkable employment opportunities for the people who live here.

Would it help to see that big parking lot at Front/Trinity/Cherry dug down a few levels for parking, then build a four storey retail complex (anchored by a grocery store) with offices on top... totally.

But is the neighbourhood "unliveable". Nah. Not by a long shot.

Update...

IMG_3184 copy.jpg

IMG_3186.JPG

IMG_3187.JPG

IMG_3189.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3184 copy.jpg
    IMG_3184 copy.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,060
  • IMG_3189.JPG
    IMG_3189.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,066
  • IMG_3186.JPG
    IMG_3186.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,075
  • IMG_3187.JPG
    IMG_3187.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,012
There are serious issues here, as there are in many other neighbourhoods - but I disagree with the assertion that its unliveable.

This neighbourhood has just been non-stop development in recent years, and I think that's contributed to the difficulties in living here more than it being a tourist locale. At the same time, I have to wonder if the reason why folks choose to steer clear is because they're drivers. Personally, I don't drive, so I don't know the frustration of spending 45min trying to get into my garage because of a slew of tourists and buses.

We've definitely been let down by the city in the endless construction, and lack of traffic management on Mill St. And speaking of Mill St., we were promised a parkette beside the Data Centre during planning, but have yet to see it be more than a car lot for the dealership on Front.

But for the most part, I walk to No Frills, Loblaws, St. Lawrence Market, Metro and T&T. I take the (crowded) King streetcar, or either the 121 or 65 bus. All the delivery services get me food and parcels at my door. I enjoy a good walk over to Corktown Commons, a cycle up to Cherry Beach, or a work out at the nearby YMCA. I've got a ton of options for dinner if I need to entertain, and I like heading down to check out ArtFest, or the Leslieville Flea (winter) or whatever other event is going on downstairs.

And that's before we get East Harbour, the port lands and waterfront development, Google/Alphabet's city project, Daniel's Waterfront and the Sugar Beach Innovation Centre, which hopefully will provide walkable employment opportunities for the people who live here.

Would it help to see that big parking lot at Front/Trinity/Cherry dug down a few levels for parking, then build a four storey retail complex (anchored by a grocery store) with offices on top... totally.

But is the neighbourhood "unliveable". Nah. Not by a long shot.
I'm new to the area but love it. It's definitely not "unliveable".
It's nice to be close to the highway to get in and out of the city. The 514 streetcar is great for getting to and from work or into the city core. I'd love to see some more retail in the are but that's already planned with the future construction.
The Distillery events don't even effect residents unless you feel the need to walk through that area. I just avoid it it I don't want to deal with the crowds but it does not even bother me coming and going from my condo. It's nice to see things happening and people enjoying the area.

The TD space in 33 Mill St has had demo work done on it over the last few weeks, including what seems to be dividing the space into two, with a separate entrance to the area where the ATM was (currently boarded up). Doesn't seem to be getting prepped for use during the Christmas Market.

I understand that the GWNA had successfully blocked the Christmas Market's liquor license, forcing a meeting for all parties this week. Wasn't able to attend, so I don't know how that went. Would love to hear.

Have also heard that a pharmacy was coming to the the Distillery - no further word on that, though I noticed an automated pharmaceutical dispensary pop up in one of the storefronts briefly.

Of course, there was the news that the College Boreal would be one of the first tenants for the 'ribbon' building (slated for completion in 2021)

From what I understand, the old Green P on Mill St. has been leased to the car dealership for their storage/parknig. So that won't become greenspace (as initially promised) for another handful of years.

As for the proposed towers, I've kind of lost track of everything - would love to get some updates here. I understand the rack house at Mill & Trinity has been reduced to a 13 storey project, which stands to lose the hotel aspect. The aforementioned ribbon building is a go - which seems t forget the fact its the defacto podium for a larger tower. I think all but one of the three towers for 31a, 31 and 31R have gotten city approval. No final timelines on that.

But I gather that the 'ribbon building' doesn't have the tunnel to lakeshore that was once proposed.

TTC are diverting the 121 bus again this year:

9 a.m., November 15 to 10 p.m., December 23, 2018
Due to seasonal crowds at the Distillery District for the Toronto Christmas Market, the 121 Fort York-Esplanade will divert, from Cherry Street, continue south on Cherry Street, west Lake Shore Boulevard, north Parliament Street, west Front Street to route.

I looked at the map of that 121 diversion.

1542215783777.png

Depending on where the stops are - I wonder if that would work better year round - particularly with increased development. Mill Street is still served by stops at both ends of the Distillery. And it gets a lot closer the 72 Pape bus that runs on Lake Shore from Cherry to Parliament.

Though I guess it's going to be a disaster south of the tracks, with all the road changes fro the Gardiner demolition and reconstruction for the next few years.

Dockless e-scooter company launches pilot in Distillery District

Chris Fox, CP24.com
Published Thursday, September 5, 2019 7:58AM EDT

Bird Canada has announced that it is launching a pilot project in the city’s Distillery District to test out the scooters, which are capable of travelling up to 48 kilometres on a single charge.

The e-scooters aren’t actually permitted on Ontario roads at the moment but because the Distillery District is privately owned the pilot project can go ahead.

Back