News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I don't know a lot about street permits, but one of the biggest complaints I've seen is that plenty of Distillery residents have them and are frustrated by the Mill St changes. Does the city give out more street permits than available spots in a neighbourhood?

Permit parking is divided into zones (areas) which vary widely in size and logic. Within those areas, the City's goal is to give out permits equal to roughly 90% of the spaces they estimate exist in the area.
Though in practice, this number is often higher.

The City's limit (no more permits will be issued) is actually 110 permits for every 100 spaces. (at least this was the case in 2007, not sure if that has changed)
(how that was decided on, I'm not sure, but would seem an obvious problem)

Also, as per the example under discussion, if, for any reason spaces are eliminated, existing permit holders are grandfathered, that is to say, the City doesn't cut the number of permits, if it cuts the number of spots.

And honestly, the Distillery IS a tourist attraction, why offer street permits here when logistically there's no guarantee spots will be available. I can see how they'd be effective in say, East York- but the Distillery gets a couple Saturday weddings and now you're moving your car from the Canary District at 2am.

I can't help but feel like long term, doing away with street parking (at least west of Trinity) is the best way to open up traffic, I just don't know if the minority of street parkers will stand for it.

As opposed to just chopping permit parking, I would advocate actions to reduce demand for it; and to eat away at it over time in favour of boulevard/sidewalk space, bike lanes, and dedicated spots for moving/delivery vehicles on most blocks.

1) Raise the rates, permits are well below market value, broadly ranging between $17-$75 per month. So they start at just over 50c per day.
That's nuts.Phase the rates to market-value which would be in the $200 per month range downtown.

2) Eliminate permits for people who have on-site parking for more than one car

3) Introduce daytime paid parking on permit side streets (permit holders exempt) so as to ensure turnover for those who need the spots.

4) Cut the cost of carshare parking permits to whatever you charge residents (or less) thus making carshare much more widely available and convenient.

5) Slowly remove spaces from supply as demand decreases for use as tree-lined boulevards, patio space, cycling infra, as well as dedicated parking for moving/delivery vehicles and carshare.

I don't think it would be difficult to drive demand down by 1/3 in just 5 years, and by 1/2 over a decade.

wow. apparently this is a constant thing now. driving down the bike lane. love this guy who not only drives down a one way street in the protected bike lane, but then goes on to turn into the wrong way on ANOTHER one way street. Thing is too, I know that folks will throw up their arms and say "SEE, change it back!" But all this does is prove that drivers refuse to follow the rules on Mill St, bike lanes or not- so no, no reward for this reckless behaviour.

wow. apparently this is a constant thing now. driving down the bike lane. love this guy who not only drives down a one way street in the protected bike lane, but then goes on to turn into the wrong way on ANOTHER one way street. Thing is too, I know that folks will throw up their arms and say "SEE, change it back!" But all this does is prove that drivers refuse to follow the rules on Mill St, bike lanes or not- so no, no reward for this reckless behaviour.

It always takes a few weeks for drivers (who are on auto-pilot or following the directions from Google or ??) to get with ANY new rule or route. Clearly this is stupid but be patient, I already notice fewer vehicles going east from Lower Sherbourne.

It always takes a few weeks for drivers (who are on auto-pilot or following the directions from Google or ??) to get with ANY new rule or route. Clearly this is stupid but be patient, I already notice fewer vehicles going east from Lower Sherbourne.
The bus only block between Princess and Sherbourne still stymies me to no end. It's a single block. I wonder if its just meant to be an eastbound terminus for Esplanade or if theres some statistic that says it improves bus service.

The bus only block between Princess and Sherbourne still stymies me to no end. It's a single block. I wonder if its just meant to be an eastbound terminus for Esplanade or if theres some statistic that says it improves bus service.
The aim is to discourage vehicles using The Esplanade as a road safety measure, the bus only block was seen as a feasible way to keep buses on the street. Will it work once people get used to it? We shall see!

But they have their four way flashers on, so it’s all good

Artscape 20yr lease ends for the case goods building next year, so they’re getting rid of the artists. The French school, long discussed as being part of the “ribbon building” will apparently be the new tenant. I do wonder if someone is going to propose yet another tower near the Case Goods building along with the “ribbon” podium. Disappointed to see the distillery lose some artistic texture.

https://www.blogto.com/arts/2021/12/toronto-distillery-district-artists/

Artscape 20yr lease ends for the case goods building next year, so they’re getting rid of the artists. The French school, long discussed as being part of the “ribbon building” will apparently be the new tenant. I do wonder if someone is going to propose yet another tower near the Case Goods building along with the “ribbon” podium. Disappointed to see the distillery lose some artistic texture.

https://www.blogto.com/arts/2021/12/toronto-distillery-district-artists/

The Distillery District has been losing it's character since at least 2007 when someone decided condos and stores were a brilliant idea.

I've noticed over the past 15 years how everything is slowly becoming closed to the public. It seems like everytime I go to the Distillery there is yet another new condo or business that denies the public access.

Honestly, I don't feel like it's worth visiting anymore.

The Distillery District has been losing it's character since at least 2007 when someone decided condos and stores were a brilliant idea.

I've noticed over the past 15 years how everything is slowly becoming closed to the public. It seems like everytime I go to the Distillery there is yet another new condo or business that denies the public access.

Honestly, I don't feel like it's worth visiting anymore.

There's only 4 condos, with only 2 of them being built in the last 10 years. The condos have brought some year round 24/7 activity to the site, so I wouldn't say they are the issue with the distillery district. I think it's just become too popular as an attraction, and is changing to cater to the larger crowds and the wider demographic that it attracts.

The sense I get is that the developers agreed to the 20yr lease with artscape in order to get concessions from the govt. to develop the site- also, they were possibly banking on the trend of the time back then wherein artists brought life to and turned around less desirable neighborhoods to the point of gentrification.

I imagine the move here is to make more money off a lease in an area with an established cachet.

There are three more big towers coming to the south of the Distillery (one of which will take the southern most parking lot) and a long rumoured low rise “ribbon” building along the southern side.

The thing I have to wonder is what the longer term goal is from DREAM. Getting rid of the artist community there, and having applied and won permission to put more advertising on site. It remains to be seen where they’re going with things.

The new towers to the south won’t have restrictions on the businesses in their podium, so Distillery residents may actually have some useful chains to shop at.

Don’t get me wrong- the intent here is profitability. We’ve a weed shop now, and the antique shop is preparing to move out, so maybe whatever business replaces that could be a good indication.

The dispassionate corporate ads you’ll see as part of the Winter Village, don’t give me much hope though.

0A8864CE-164C-4C71-8135-706EC3CA263A.jpeg701013C5-4D85-4343-802E-A14F09E34C32.jpeg

So, the Distillery Winter Village is coming to a close today, limping to the finish line. They canceled their family New Year’s event for tomorrow, half their booths are closed due to “staffing”, El Catrin is closed due to positive tests (weeks after Mill St did the same) and shops like Wildly Delicious and Balzacs are closed out of safety concerns for their staff.

At the same time, artists are moving out of Case Goods to make way for the French school, cranes are up around the neighbourhood and condo sales offices have been sitting to the south for awhile.

The pandemic and encroaching density make me wonder how the Distillery will serve residents over tourists in the near future.

One could argue that replacing the Artscape with a school makes it less of a special destination and that the increases in regular foot traffic would serve businesses like coffee shops more than luxury brands. So will we see a pivot in the shops here or will all the every day needs of local residents be met with new podium business?

I also find it interesting to see more beauty/wellness shops open up as the Distillery gets its first wedding boutique along Parliament. If and when that hotel gets built on Mill & Trinity you’ve got a straight pipeline for all things marital.

So, the Distillery Winter Village is coming to a close today, limping to the finish line. They canceled their family New Year’s event for tomorrow, half their booths are closed due to “staffing”, El Catrin is closed due to positive tests (weeks after Mill St did the same) and shops like Wildly Delicious and Balzacs are closed out of safety concerns for their staff.

At the same time, artists are moving out of Case Goods to make way for the French school, cranes are up around the neighbourhood and condo sales offices have been sitting to the south for awhile.

The pandemic and encroaching density make me wonder how the Distillery will serve residents over tourists in the near future.

One could argue that replacing the Artscape with a school makes it less of a special destination and that the increases in regular foot traffic would serve businesses like coffee shops more than luxury brands. So will we see a pivot in the shops here or will all the every day needs of local residents be met with new podium business?

I also find it interesting to see more beauty/wellness shops open up as the Distillery gets its first wedding boutique along Parliament. If and when that hotel gets built on Mill & Trinity you’ve got a straight pipeline for all things marital.
I've avoided the Christmas village at the DD for the last few years. Before that, every time I took family there it turned out to be a miserable experience that made us all angry. So much for holiday cheer...

Back