News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What really makes the distillery is the fact they kept all the chain stores that undoubtedly would want in, out. It wouldn't have the same feel if it was a McDonalds in the main square. I hope that it continues as the area around it gets more developed, definitely one of my favorite places in the city to spend an afternoon.

What really makes the distillery is the fact they kept all the chain stores that undoubtedly would want in, out. It wouldn't have the same feel if it was a McDonalds in the main square. I hope that it continues as the area around it gets more developed, definitely one of my favorite places in the city to spend an afternoon.

I'm not really sure how many chain stores would really want to locate in the DD (less fast food locations as you cited above) ... the reason, it's not quite reached saturation yet - if you've ever been to the DD in winter, even early spring / late fall, it's fairly empty - that's changing, slowly, and may continue to overtime and that'll lead to more pressure to let the so called chain stores in ... that's not a terrible thing by the way :) Maybe not directly inside the DD but the surrounding area could use a little more to make the area more livable.

That's an amazing picture - it's like, a extremely mini central park :) ... not really lol

Last edited:
I'm not really sure how many chain stores would really want to locate in the DD (less fast food locations as you cited above) ... the reason, it's not quite reached saturation yet - if you've ever been to the DD in winter, even early spring / late fall, it's fairly empty - that's changing, slowly, and may continue to overtime and that'll lead to more pressure to let the so called chain stores in ... that's not a terrible thing by the way :) Maybe not directly inside the DD but the surrounding area could use a little more to make the area more livable.

Good point, chain stores equal higher costs of doing business. Not that all chains would be bad, and a St. Louis or somethin I could see being good, as well as the areas around the distillery I have no problem with. Its just the main square and adjacent streets that I think should be kept as unique as possible. But 5 years time should be damn interesting

Thanks everyone for the picture-related comments! Sadly I don't live there, but boy would I love to wake up to see that view everyday.

Also, I think that if chains were to open up in the district then it would definitely change the character of the area for sure. Right now, I can't see a McDonalds or something like it moving in for some time. Although, it might bring down the cost of a quick lunch, it would also change the attitude of visitors. I agree with T-Bor on the location of where a chain might be located. The main square should stay 'authentic' but I wouldn't mind a quick bite a little closer to the area on Parliament St.
Also, speaking of 5 years where do you see the area heading in 5, 10, 50 years time? More condos? Stays the same? Or is Balzac's going to be bought out by a Starbucks/Second Cup/Tim Hortons franchise?

The Distillery District is utterly unique and as it grows there would be an uproar by current business owners and residents if they opened it up to big chain retail and restaurants. These small business owners and artists were wooed and then have sweated and toiled for years waiting for the area to grow.

With all the development in nearby Corktown and the West Don Lands, you'll certainly see a McDonald's, Starbucks, and Tim's pop up within a short walk of the Distillery.

You can get a quick bite while you're at the Distillery. They have great cafes with really good food. I'm a big fan of Tim's and Starbucks and there is nothing wrong with those establishments. But if you put them at the Distillery then it becomes less of a destination.

Is it? That would be great but I haven't noticed anything particularly exciting going on.

Well, Barcelona's Rambla began humbly enough as a built-over stream on the outskirts, and the Esplanade was once railway tracks lined with factories and wharves that is now a wide, treed boulevard already quite different from the disused land I remember from the early '70s. So developing in such a direction once the port lands get built on and the Distillery and beyond develop - with Clewes towers anchoring both ends - may be on the cards. Rather than being stuck at the south end of the downtown east side, it seems to me that the Esplanade is becoming quite centrally located as the city shifts around it, as a unique east/west link to the downtown at Yonge.

The Distillery District is utterly unique and as it grows there would be an uproar by current business owners and residents if they opened it up to big chain retail and restaurants. These small business owners and artists were wooed and then have sweated and toiled for years waiting for the area to grow.

With all the development in nearby Corktown and the West Don Lands, you'll certainly see a McDonald's, Starbucks, and Tim's pop up within a short walk of the Distillery.

You can get a quick bite while you're at the Distillery. They have great cafes with really good food. I'm a big fan of Tim's and Starbucks and there is nothing wrong with those establishments. But if you put them at the Distillery then it becomes less of a destination.

Somehow, it seems to be that if Starbucks is forthcoming, it'll be without rather than within--i.e. at the ground floor of a West Donlands condo rather than in the heart of the DD. More, uh, "authenticity" that way, paradoxically speaking. (You know, the tourists go to Balzacs; the real neighbourhood locals go to Starbucks. Comfort in the middlebrow and commonplace.)

Now, where a Starbucks truly would be regrettable is in the Canary space...

Rumor has it that a Starbucks could be on the ground floor of the Corktown District condo.

I love Starbucks... typing this at a Starbucks right now... but I often take the trip to the DD for it's old time charm and for Balzac's. It's a destination and I hope they'll keep it that way.

Also, speaking of 5 years where do you see the area heading in 5, 10, 50 years time? More condos? Stays the same? Or is Balzac's going to be bought out by a Starbucks/Second Cup/Tim Hortons franchise?

I think that depends largely on how successful the WDL and EB developments are. Mostly the former. If they are done right and actually become well-balanced neighbourhoods, and particularly if that 18-acre park is nice, then I think DD will continue to thrive. I think most possible outcomes are positive, particularly because the planned residences in the area can only increase foot traffic and interest in the area.

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Under Review

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 205085 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Jun 24, 2010

Project: Industrial Demolition

Description: Proposal to demo 2 storage buildings (Rackhouse G and J). See active BLD permit 10 187227.

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Under Review

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 205085 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Jun 24, 2010

Project: Industrial Demolition

Description: Proposal to demo 2 storage buildings (Rackhouse G and J). See active BLD permit 10 187227.

Are these for the new condos? Weren't these units occupied at one point?

As for chains, eventually they'll probably make their way into the Distillery. It's probably a long way off before they're full of them, but it's likely at least a few will make their way in.

I remember seeing them doing work on that site about a year ago; I thought they were already tearing them down.

Back