News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

My major issue is with the prices. It seems as though the high rent can only attract banker-backed restaurants. The Brick St. Bakery and Balzac's are the best things going. Perigee was innovative but is dead... The Boiler House belonds in the entertainment district (over-priced food and calculated, canned ambiance).... There's a new Italian one adjacent to the Fermenting Cellar which is too expensive as well... And Mill St. Brewery has shitty food.

Balzac's has been a great sunny morning walk destination recently. The outside seating is a wonderful spot to watch the low morning sun play with the interesting shapes on the nearby sculpture. Coffee is excellent, but sadly after a couple of dissapointing purchases I've quickly learned what appears the 'regulars' already know. Avoid the stale pastries.

So do I. I'm sure the new cafe opening there will be better, though.

SD2, you're absolutely right - I just purchased a unit at 80 Mill, right across the street from the Distillery. I'm excited about the area, but also nervous with the new changes that will be taking place. Just directly west of my building, there are bulldozers and cranes galore. If I remember reading correctly a few weeks ago, the plan is to build up 2300 more condos and townhouses in the Don Lands...that's insane! That place is going to be another City Place (Spadina/Front)...I just hope they plan it out a little more intelligently then they did some of the other city projects that have occurred over the past couple of years in the down town area.

All of that aside. Anyone else reside at 80 Mill? How do you like the building? How is the management? Any concerns? How's the neighbourhood overall? Lots of questions here...lol

The construction going on near your new condo is being managed by Waterfront Toronto. You'll be right near the athletes village for the Pan Am Games in 2015, which will be converted to housing after the event. Close to Don River Park too, which is under construction right now.

Learn more with these links:

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/explore_projects2/west_don_lands/2015_pan_american_games

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/explore_projects2/west_don_lands/don_river_park

Interesting. What kind of housing will it be converted into? I'm assuming condos? Please don't tell me the entire village will be community housing..... :eek:

Interesting. What kind of housing will it be converted into? I'm assuming condos? Please don't tell me the entire village will be community housing..... :eek:
It will be mostly condos and some student housing for George Brown, there is a new TCHC building going up at St Lawrence Street and King but, as far as I know, none in the main part of the West Don Lands.
I must say I 'admire' your decision to buy property without doing much (or any?) investigation as to what is happening in the neighbourhood. In this case I think you made a good decision but it is a 'bit' risky to buy and only then look at the neighbourhood!

Well, some investigation was done, but not much. I've seen the plans they have for the Don Lands, but have not read anything in terms of community housing, which is why I asked. I've been condo shopping for over 3 months now, and was getting fed up. I've always liked the distillery in terms of an entertainment spot. I've talked to some people who live in the area and they love it. Could I have done more research? I think you can never do enough research...but I'm glad I bought the property.

It is my first property, so I'm sure I will learn along the way as well...I just hope that the building and its management is as good as I have heard so far. You will never really know until you live there I suppose...but so far, nothing bad coming from some of the people I've talked to who live there.

So again, if anyone is living at 80 Mill, please do share your stories and opinions...

newswire.ca online article:

Toronto's First Sake Brewery to Open This Weekend

TORONTO, April 26 /CNW/ - The Ontario Spring Water Sake Company, located in downtown Toronto's Distillery Historic District, will be opening its brewery, retail store and tasting bar to the public on Friday April 29, 2011. This brewery is a first for Toronto, and indeed for all of eastern North America.

"Our sake's fresh and delightful flavour is enhanced by using a very special spring water chosen among the abundant water resources of northern Ontario," says Kaz Hayashi, General Manager of the company and formerly a key member of the team responsible for Ontario distribution of Gekkeikan, a major Japanese sake brand, while working at a large Toronto wine agency. "All of our sake is hand-prepared in the "Junmai" pure rice style in several varieties, including unpasteurized "Nama-Nama", for sale at the Distillery location brewery store and tasting counter," he continues.

The brewery commenced operations in February 2011 with advisory assistance from the venerable Miyasaka Brewing Co., Ltd., whose operations in Japan date back to the 1600's, currently producing sake under the MASUMI and MIYASAKA brands. It was via Miyasaka's team that the new brewery was able to connect with consulting master sake brewer Yoshiko Takahashi, an award winning brewmaster from the Nagano region of Japan, who arrived in Toronto several months ago to support the start-up.

The commencement of retail operations this weekend will be followed shortly by a delivery service to a select group of local restaurants, as well as listing applications at the LCBO for one or more of its products.

A unique offering at the brewery's retail store is its freshly pressed, unpasteurized and unfiltered sake, an exquisite beverage which is currently not available anywhere in Ontario or the eastern seaboard, making the new brewery in the Distillery a fascinating and delicious experience for sake, food and fine wine lovers alike. Other unique items available in the dramatic high stone-walled retail area of the brewery will include a variety of sake serving accessories and decorative items imported from Japan. Many available items will be labeled with the "IZUMI" brand (which means "spring water" in Japanese) which is the principal brand name used by the Company for its sake beverages.

Ontario Spring Water Sake Company is a member of the Brewing Society of Japan, and the first member of the Society located in Canada.

More information on the company can be found on the company's website: www.ontariosake.com.

Read more: [/SIZE]http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/April2011/26/c7086.html

So again, if anyone is living at 80 Mill, please do share your stories and opinions...

I live at 70 Mill and I love it. The construction in the Distillery is a little annoying, but the Distillery itself is beautiful. I love walking through it at night in the winter - it's beautiful! :)

As to shops, restaurants, etc, nothing nearby is good AND not expensive. The shops in the Distillery are interesting but higher end, and the restaurants are fairly expensive. The Mill Street Pub is not too bad, but as mentioned in this thread, their food is pretty mediocre (to awful - NEVER get their steak and eggs for brunch). A place nearby that I would recommend is Gilead Cafe. Their food is fresh and well made, and the prices are mid to high, but not as bad as most places in the Distillery. Also, their brunch is incredible. Cheaper than the Boiler House and way better. :) Though BH does have some delicious bacon... mmmm....

This was discussed somewhere on UT as a rumour, it seems to be fact!

60 MILL ST
Ward 28
- Tor & E.York OPA / Rezoning 11 219591 STE 28 OZ Jun 15, 2011 ---
OPA and Rezoning application to construct new 6 storey hotel with existing heritage building (Rackhouse D) and construct an additional 28 stories for new condo tower. 34 stories in total. Please note that number of suites, number of parking spaces and number of hotel rooms are yet to be determined.

UPDATE/EDIT: See specific thread at: Gansevoort Hotel & Condos (60 Mill St., Distillery District, 34s, ?)

Last edited:

Back