News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What is your prefere alignment for a new E/W subway through Downtown

• Total voters
Hey! I try hard to stay on topic. I'd like for someone to point out exactly where I have gone off topic in this thread....
You just did right now. I didn't excuse you, or blame you. But you still felt the need to say something.

And even if you are on topic - if 3 or 4 people haven't replied since your last post ... surely there is likely no need to post again, refuting the previous posters post, point by point.

You just did right now. I didn't excuse you, or blame you. But you still felt the need to say something.

And even if you are on topic - if 3 or 4 people haven't replied since your last post ... surely there is likely no need to post again, refuting the previous posters post, point by point.

Anyway, where I have deviated, I do apologize for it. I do generally do my best to stick to the topic.

Not at all. That option remains wide open and feasable.
I don't think Don Mills needs to automatically be the #1 priority though. Let other alignments north of Eglinton be open to evaluation.

I don't know what other North-South streets make sense. If the city is not going to budge on extending the Sheppard subway, it would make sense to me to end the DRL there so as to minimize transfers. Sheppard East, Finch West, Sheppard Subway would all feed passengers for a quick trip to the core. Heck, I even think the Don Mills LRT should be re-assessed with the increased push for the DRL.

I picked up the idea from his SCC forum. I don't know about it being a short walk from anywhere though. The apartments at the bottom are a 25 minute walk away (I've travelled it). Feeder buses would still need to take folks to/from their homes down there, something still easily accomplishable with a straight Coxwell-Don Mills alignment.

25 minute walk? How slow do you move? It's at worst a 600-700m walk to a station south of the town centre building, and that's if you are coming in from the extreme south end of the place.

Many residents would be much closer.

As a point of reference, I have to walk about 350m to get to the closest streetcar stop. About half a kilometre if I were to use the next closest route into downtown. It doesn't take me 12 minutes to walk there and I move at an average pace.

The station locations selected for Coxwell (most likely Queen, Gerrard, Danforth, Mortimer and O'Connor) would ensure that area residents are within 5-6 blocks walking distance of a station; would have self-sustaining trip-generators within their vicinities (Beaches/Beaches Cinema complex, Gerrard India Bazaar, East York Civic Ctr/East Toronto General); and suburban feeder routes from the east, funnelling in thousands more commuters in from Scarborough (via Kingston Rd, O'Connor Dr trippers) on a daily basis than a Pape alignment ever could aspire to generate.

The bolded ones are the only ones that I think would generate regular traffic and really the Beaches, much like Exhibition place, would only be used heavily for a couple months a year.

Travelers coming in from Kingston Road and Scarborough will be fed into the Bloor line (and possibly Eglinton) not DRL.

I don't know what other North-South streets make sense. If the city is not going to budge on extending the Sheppard subway, it would make sense to me to end the DRL there so as to minimize transfers. Sheppard East, Finch West, Sheppard Subway would all feed passengers for a quick trip to the core. Heck, I even think the Don Mills LRT should be re-assessed with the increased push for the DRL.

Although we're talking very far future, I'd actually like to see Sheppard ultimately become part of the DRL... and that's why I think another N-S alignment should be considered, as it is totally impossible to have the DRL turn into the Sheppard line at Don Mills. I'm convinced that the only way Sheppard will be worth its money is if it becomes an alleviator rather than a feeder for Yonge, which it won't do if it isn't part of the DRL.

While there is some challenging terrain en route, I do believe that the alignment can be taken from Eg/DM area to VP (at either Eg. or Lawrence depending on alignment), and then upto 401 along VP at which point the alignment would start to swerve over towards Consumers/Sheppard where it could tie into the Sheppard line, forming an eastern, sideways "U"-liner. VP between Eg and 401 happens to have a healthy level of density, and is far more continuous in nature than DM.

Although we're talking very far future, I'd actually like to see Sheppard ultimately become part of the DRL... and that's why I think another N-S alignment should be considered, as it is totally impossible to have the DRL turn into the Sheppard line at Don Mills. I'm convinced that the only way Sheppard will be worth its money is if it becomes an alleviator rather than a feeder for Yonge, which it won't do if it isn't part of the DRL.

While there is some challenging terrain en route, I do believe that the alignment can be taken from Eg/DM area to VP (at either Eg. or Lawrence depending on alignment), and then upto 401 along VP at which point the alignment would start to swerve over towards Consumers/Sheppard where it could tie into the Sheppard line, forming an eastern, sideways "U"-liner. VP between Eg and 401 happens to have a healthy level of density, and is far more continuous in nature than DM.

Hey, maybe the Sheppard-DRL line can become the....Rectangle Line!

I think making Sheppard and the DRL a continuous line is a bad idea. Sheppard should continue out to STC, and the DRL can have a regular old transfer at Don Mills. Transfers between subway lines people don't mind.

I think making Sheppard and the DRL a continuous line is a bad idea. Sheppard should continue out to STC, and the DRL can have a regular old transfer at Don Mills. Transfers between subway lines people don't mind.

I agree, and that's all assuming the DRL should eventually connect to Sheppard, which I'm not convinced of just yet. There are many, many projects that should go ahead before an extension of the DRL from Eglinton to Sheppard.

Well if you want, you can cancel the Spadina extension, and instead connect the Spadina line down Sheppard to the Sheppard Line. Then extend the Sheppard line to STC, and also extend the Danforth line to STC.

And voila - Toronto has one subway line.

But would be about as dumb an idea as connecting the Don Mills subway to the Sheppard subway; clearly both ultimately need to go further.

I agree with Nfitz. What a foolhardy decision it'd be to connect those two subway lines via Eglinton East and up Victoria Park. A meandering jog like that would not benefit transit users much as Scarborough Centre-bound passengers along Sheppard still would have to transfer onto surface transit to complete their commutes. And although there's some shopping plazas around Victoria Park near Lawrence and Ellesmere, seriously does every one/one suburban mall really need its very own subway dot on the map?

It also would complicate transit services along those corridors wherever the subway overlaps with surface LRT and/or buses. 3 modes overlapping along the same stretch of corridor is an unnecessary waste of scarce transit funding. Creating a far less complicated i.e. cheaper interchange station scenario at Don Mills/Sheppard is a better option and would free up the DRL to go up one more stop to Seneca College Newham Campus if warranted in the future.

STC will never need a subway when it has at least two LRT lines servicing it, which would have an equivalent capacity of one subway, and previous studies on the RT's future have indicated that subway is overkill for STC. Sheppard between VP and STC also will never even come close to needing a subway, and if it did, it would be a disaster anyway because Yonge would never be able to handle the demand if that happened... people will not stay on until Downsview to avoid Sheppard-Yonge. Dufferin is much farther from Yonge than University.

The best long-term hope for Sheppard without putting a crippling burden on Yonge (which would cause problems throughout the network), is to make Sheppard the north end of the DRL. North of Sheppard, demands will be well within LRT's capabilities and GO should be picking up a significant amount of the load anyway. DRL to Steeles is overkill, STC subway is overkill, but Sheppard-DRL actually mitigates potential future risks in the system.

It's far-future, like I said, and indeed Eglinton should be an earlier phase. However someone assumed that the line must go up Don Mills north of Eglinton, and I disagree that there aren't other options.

But would be about as dumb an idea as connecting the Don Mills subway to the Sheppard subway; clearly both ultimately need to go further.

Oh, they need to go further, do they? Based on what? How would north/east of Sheppard/VP not be within LRT's demand range?

Back