News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What is your prefere alignment for a new E/W subway through Downtown

• Total voters
Could Thorncliffe Park not be served by a stop at Overlea and Don Mills? The idea behind my proposal is to make it easier for the DRL to be extended along Don Mills eventually.

Could Thorncliffe Park not be served by a stop at Overlea and Don Mills? The idea behind my proposal is to make it easier for the DRL to be extended along Don Mills eventually.

Saying that a stop at Overlea and Don Mills serves Thorncliffe Park is like saying Kensington Market or Chinatown is served by the Spadina subway station.

It's too far away to be practical.

Saying that a stop at Overlea and Don Mills serves Thorncliffe Park is like saying Kensington Market or Chinatown is served by the Spadina subway station.

It's too far away to be practical.

But does one station at East York Town Centre Mall really cater to all of Thorncliffe Park residents' transit needs? Feeder buses will still be required to take passengers to/from their homes along Thorncliffe Pk Dr down from the subway, so in ways the time differential from instead opting to route from Overlea/Don Mills is minimal.

If the line extends past Danforth to Don Mills and Eglinton, bypassing the Thorncliffe area would be a huge mistake.

A point in favour of Pape alignment, isn't Pape from O'Connor to Eastern also the densest north-south corridor in this part of the city?

The part north of Danforth certainly seems a lot livelier than Donlands or Coxwell.

But the lack of 'liveliness' is advantageous in this case. Replacing the 22/70 buses along lower-density Coxwell with a subway has far less of an impact than removing the 72/81 buses would on local residents along Pape where bus stops occur every 200m. A higher population density relies on each of those individual local stops and may object to the larger spacing gaps of Transit City or a subway line upon which Cosburn would be the only stop chosen for Pape north of The Danforth.

The station locations selected for Coxwell (most likely Queen, Gerrard, Danforth, Mortimer and O'Connor) would ensure that area residents are within 5-6 blocks walking distance of a station; would have self-sustaining trip-generators within their vicinities (Beaches/Beaches Cinema complex, Gerrard India Bazaar, East York Civic Ctr/East Toronto General); and suburban feeder routes from the east, funnelling in thousands more commuters in from Scarborough (via Kingston Rd, O'Connor Dr trippers) on a daily basis than a Pape alignment ever could aspire to generate.

But the lack of 'liveliness' is advantageous in this case. Replacing the 22/70 buses along lower-density Coxwell with a subway has far less of an impact than removing the 72/81 buses would on local residents along Pape where bus stops occur every 200m. A higher population density relies on each of those individual local stops and may object to the larger spacing gaps of Transit City or a subway line upon which Cosburn would be the only stop chosen for Pape north of The Danforth.

The station locations selected for Coxwell (most likely Queen, Gerrard, Danforth, Mortimer and O'Connor) would ensure that area residents are within 5-6 blocks walking distance of a station; would have self-sustaining trip-generators within their vicinities (Beaches/Beaches Cinema complex, Gerrard India Bazaar, East York Civic Ctr/East Toronto General); and suburban feeder routes from the east, funnelling in thousands more commuters in from Scarborough (via Kingston Rd, O'Connor Dr trippers) on a daily basis than a Pape alignment ever could aspire to generate.

First of all, we have to remember the whole point of this subway is to relieve Yonge-Bloor. I don't know if an alignment that far East will have the same impact on traffic through that station as one along Pape, or even coming from Donlands for that matter.

Secondly, I don't think I've heard this argument that you're making before - that less dense corridors should get higher order transit because there already aren't as many stops. Stations along Pape and Coxwell would be spaced similarly, and I see no reason why people on Pape can't walk as far as people along Coxwell. When you have bus service, you need more stops for higher densities. Subway stations need that density to thrive. Surface routes to the stations will exist regardless of where it goes - doesn't it make more sense to put the line further West? I mean, it would make more sense for someone heading downtown from Kingston Road and Victoria Park or from Queen and Coxwell or wherever to travel West to connect to the subway at Pape than for someone living at Queen and Pape to travel East to transfer at Coxwell.

The DRL will change travel patterns throughout the city, and the East End is no different. For example, frequent streetcar service between both Bingham and Neville Park Loops to the DRL would make the Beaches far more accessible. And for Southwest Scarborough - whatever happened to the Kingston Road LRT?

A station located at the south side of the East York Town Centre complex, which the built form would seem to be capable of accomodating rather conveniently actually, would be able to provide service to all of Thorncliffe Park Dr. locations by being a short walk from anywhere along that road.

Anybody else wanna bet Amphibius is Dentrobate?

If the station has to be at East York Town Centre, does that rule out a station at Don Mills and Eglinton? It would seem to me that continuation along Don Mills would be priority #1 for any DRL after building the core portions.

Given how argumentative you were a few pages back, anybody could have made the same suggestion about you. It's best not to throw around accusations like that. The mods are on tops of this stuff. Let them make any decisions about identities.

If the station has to be at East York Town Centre, does that rule out a station at Don Mills and Eglinton? It would seem to me that continuation along Don Mills would be priority #1 for any DRL after building the core portions.

Of course not. Why would it?

A station located at the south side of the East York Town Centre complex, which the built form would seem to be capable of accomodating rather conveniently actually, would be able to provide service to all of Thorncliffe Park Dr. locations by being a short walk from anywhere along that road.

I picked up the idea from his SCC forum. I don't know about it being a short walk from anywhere though. The apartments at the bottom are a 25 minute walk away (I've travelled it). Feeder buses would still need to take folks to/from their homes down there, something still easily accomplishable with a straight Coxwell-Don Mills alignment.

Not at all. That option remains wide open and feasable.
I don't think Don Mills needs to automatically be the #1 priority though. Let other alignments north of Eglinton be open to evaluation.

Given how argumentative you were a few pages back, anybody could have made the same suggestion about you. It's best not to throw around accusations like that. The mods are on tops of this stuff. Let them make any decisions about identities.

No, the same suggestions cannot be made about me, since I've met some of the mods for drinks before I even registered here. Furthermore, I don't see why you're using "argumentative" as a measuring stick for identifying Dentrobate when you are more argumentative than I. How argumentative the post was wasn't even the tip-off, it's the "content" (using the term loosely) of the argument, assuming you can tell the difference. Thanks for taking this way off topic. What were you saying earlier about somebody being a troll? :rolleyes:

Back