News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Optimal solution should be...

• Total voters
They'll start the EA in the 2020s, the actual digging in the 2030s, and it'll open in the 2040s, and finish in the 2070s.

We would have gone through dozens of mayors between now and 2070 and I'm sure that one of them would probably cancel the line.

But honestly I think we're being a little pessimistic. The DRL will undoubtedly be built before 2070 and I get the feeling that Council is very serious about having the line built now. I wouldn't be surprised if Council approves some sort of DRL within the next two years.

But then again I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens.

I'd guess that between now and 2070 when Toronto eventually hosts a world event work like this will be fasttracked and we will get it.

Despite the PanAms not affecting the progress of the ECLRT or the Airport Link I think a real world event would.

2024 Olympic games in Toronto would be the only way to drastically speed up that project and even have Eglinton go to the airport. On top of that we could have the Feds to pick up the tab

2024 Olympic games in Toronto would be the only way to drastically speed up that project and even have Eglinton go to the airport. On top of that we could have the Feds to pick up the tab

Yep -- as well as accelerate Port lands and Downsview development.....

Which is the only reason I support the Olympic bid and at the same time am totally confused why other torontonians are against it. Olympics force Money from both the province and the feds. Sure it will cost toronto extra taxes but nothings is free and this will expedite the process.

Which is the only reason I support the Olympic bid and at the same time am totally confused why other torontonians are against it. Olympics force Money from both the province and the feds. Sure it will cost toronto extra taxes but nothings is free and this will expedite the process.

I made this point on an online forum when I first heard of the bid. Money getting poured into infrastructure is the only real tangible benefit of hosting the Olympics. It seems that once that bid is chosen, money just starts getting poured into infrastructure projects like there's no tomorrow.

If we were to get the 2024 games, I think the projects that would be prioritized would be:

1) DRL
2) Lakeshore, Georgetown, and Stouffville GO REX lines (at the very least)
3) Eglinton LRT to the Airport
4) Waterfront LRT (combining the East Bayfront LRT and part of the WWLRT)

This is of course assuming that the primary stadium for the games would be the Rogers Centre. If a new stadium is built elsewhere, that may shuffle the priorities around a little bit.

This is of course assuming that the primary stadium for the games would be the Rogers Centre. If a new stadium is built elsewhere, that may shuffle the priorities around a little bit.

Rogers Center cannot be the primary stadium. They would need a new one for sure. Maybe Downsview Park would expedite the Sheppard line being extended from Sheppard-Yonge

Andy Byford has been saying that's the priority for awhile now - but that really doesn't mean much unless someone tackle the issue politically and come up with the $$.

AoD

In some ways I think the political part is more urgent. At least then when the money comes, we know what the number one priority is. We need to also move towards a consensus on the location. It would probably be easier to lobby for money if the DRL concept was more firm and not a theoretical transit line that would follow one of a dozen possible allignments.

In some ways I think the political part is more urgent. At least then when the money comes, we know what the number one priority is. We need to also move towards a consensus on the location. It would probably be easier to lobby for money if the DRL concept was more firm and not a theoretical transit line that would follow one of a dozen possible allignments.

I agree to an extent. So hopefully the new study cements the routing and we build it soon. Otherwise we'll need to do yet another study in 5 years and then another one in 5 years after that if money isn't forthcoming. By the end we'll probably have gone through 4 different alignments before settling on whatever one we're on at the time, as opposed to the best one.

According to a recent York Region presentation on the Yonge Subway extension - http://www2.markham.ca/markham/ccbs...rvices/pl120515/Yonge Subway Presentation.pdf the Draft Phase 1 report for the Downtown Rapid Transit Expansion Study is currently being reviewed internally by TTC.

I noticed that too. In fact, this presentation had less emphasis on the need for the DRL than previous presentations/reports did. I remember reading some early ones, and they were stressing the importance of the DRL in them big time.

I noticed that too. In fact, this presentation had less emphasis on the need for the DRL than previous presentations/reports did. I remember reading some early ones, and they were stressing the importance of the DRL in them big time.
I almost get the impression that there's now so much buy-in for the DRL being necessary, that they just don't need to sell it so hard. They give it no more or less emphasis than the ATC or Bloor-Yonge upgrade, both of which are also necessary.

I almost get the impression that there's now so much buy-in for the DRL being necessary, that they just don't need to sell it so hard. They give it no more or less emphasis than the ATC or Bloor-Yonge upgrade, both of which are also necessary.

Yes, but the question is have the people who need to buy in (TO council) bought in? We know YR has, we know Metrolinx has, we know the TTC chief has. I still have my doubts that council will support the DRL if they have to actually find a way to pay for it.

And yes, ATC is definitely needed, but I would prefer to see the B-Y upgrade as a last resort that happens AFTER the DRL, not before. I'd rather see that money first spent on building new transit as opposed to just increasing capacity at a single point.

Back