News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The paperwork for LEED application might take an hour to put in place; again, not that difficult to achieve.
Wouldn't any LEED or Energuide certification be quite easy to achieve now with the more stringent building code requirements under the National Building Code - Alberta Edition 2019?
Zactly!* (coin)

Having submitted and successfully certified multiple projects myself, it ain't no hour.

Wouldn't any LEED or Energuide certification be quite easy to achieve now with the more stringent building code requirements under the National Building Code - Alberta Edition 2019? I feel being LEED-certified back in, say, 2010, was a big achievement but nowadays with more strict energy efficiency requirements, it isn't as hard to do.
You're right. Plus the language says OR EnerGuide certification which is even simpler

So you are listed on the LEED AP Register (hint you have to renew your accreditation every two years), I ask because I didn't see your name. For which buildings did you provide a LEED application?

The paperwork for LEED application might take an hour to put in place; again, not that difficult to achieve.

Zactly!* (coin)
whether the application takes an hour or eight is immaterial. the on-site tracking and subsequent submissions are where the actual costs are incurred and there is no “guarantee” even after the final submissions are made that the certification will be granted or at what level. i have seen estimates for consultant and contractor time consistently in the 1.5 - 2.5% of hard construction costs for certification and additional commissioning and that doesn’t include the construction cost of design elements or changes made to achieve that certification.

Oh I'm probably not current, but am well versed and was the LEED (I will be here all week) submitter for:

Servus Credit Union HQ - Silver
Athabasca U - ARC - GOLD
Slave Lake Government Centre - Cert

Months of work.

Significant paperwork and time. I'm not opposed to LEED, but why encumber a site with that and 'must start within a year', instead of providing a buffet of options with a portion being required.
I can appreciate what the City is trying to do here by wanting it to be actually developed and not used for speculation/etc, but the requirement to begin construction within one year of closing and complete construction within three years of closing are needlessly stringent and oddly punitive. Something like two years to start and five to complete would be a lot more reasonable and understanding to the dynamic business that is development but apparently not to bureaucrats with zero skin in the game.

Conditions like these on the sale of the land further delaying it being properly developed has a special flavour of irony to it also.

Both you, 'O, and Ken are talking about the entire process -- the application is quite simple and that is what I started with. And the detail depends on what level of LEED you are applying for -- Platinum, Gold, Silver, or Certified. If the application for "Certified" takes more than an hour for a structure as might be proposed for this particular piece of land, then something is wrong with the manner in which the applicant is proceeding. After the application, monitoring the process is part and parcel of Architectural/Engineering construction documents, verified by construction procedures. You should know that Ian. And, if in the final analysis after the building is built it does not achieve LEED certification, what is the City going to do make the Construction team tear it down? -- that is a hypothetical -- so I go back to my original premise... applying for LEED certification is not difficult, and the people who put this condition in place are clearly not up to speed on the process.

Last edited:
And I agree with @northlands overview... the land is not going to be proposed for a 2,000 sq.ft. house which might fit into that time-frame. A multi-storey tower going through all the phases of engineering beginning with surveying and soils tests before much else is engaged, and then through design concept phases and presentation to the Design Review Board process is not going to get to a construction start in one year -- PlanCheck alone could take up half of that time-frame. Whoever put this ill-conceived document together does not understand any of the processes at any level for construction.

Still for sale, still with two (commencement/LEED-Energ) requirements that make it undesirable for most purchasers.
View attachment 486932View attachment 486933
Oh, isn't that the one where they tore down one of the older houses last year and now it is just another of a number of empty lots in this area?

The city seems quick to destroy neighbourhoods, but not good at fixing them.

Both you, 'O, and Ken are talking about the entire process -- the application is quite simple and that is what I started with. And the detail depends on what level of LEED you are applying for -- Platinum, Gold, Silver, or Certified. If the application for "Certified" takes more than an hour for a structure as might be proposed for this particular piece of land, then something is wrong with the manner in which the applicant is proceeding. After the application, monitoring the process is part and parcel of Architectural/Engineering construction documents, verified by construction procedures. You should know that Ian. And, if in the final analysis after the building is built it does not achieve LEED certification, what is the City going to do make the Construction team tear it down? -- that is a hypothetical -- so I go back to my original premise... applying for LEED certification is not difficult, and the people who put this condition in place are clearly not up to speed on the process.
if you're not prepared to complete the entire process knowing what that's going to entail and what that's going to cost, why would you bother to submit an application in the first place?

Oh, isn't that the one where they tore down one of the older houses last year and now it is just another of a number of empty lots in this area?

The city seems quick to destroy neighbourhoods, but not good at fixing them.

It wasn't the city that tore down that house...

Back