News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

A King ROW isn't that smart, the streetcar service will likely end once the DRL comes online. I support a queen ROW though, that is unlikely to end service.
Though the DRL is many years and the route is not determined yet away I doubt that it will mean the end of surface transit on either King or Queen. Subways do not have many stations and much of the traffic on King and Queen is local. The discussion of ROWs should not be constrained by the fact that "one day" the ROW MIGHT be superfluous. Frankly, the first and cheapest things would be to look carefully at the traffic signals, the blocking of intersections and to enforce the existing no parking or stopping by-laws on both King and Queen so that transit and other vehicles were not constantly blocked from using the full width of the road.

Most of the time, subways replace all streetcar/bus service. Both the Yonge and Bloor lines replaced streetcars. The only spot that a surface bus route was really retained at decent frequencies was between eglinton and Sheppard, where the stop spacing for the subway is huge at 2km. The DRL will likely replace the king and roncesvalles streetcar services. I support the retention of the tracks on king, to be used as a detour in the case that something blocks queen (quite common, though less so on ROWS), but revenue service should not be retained. All of the feeder routes should instead travel on the Queen ROW.

Unless a King or Queen subway is built (which they're not) I don't see those streetcars going anywhere soon.

Even if a DRL ran under a portion of either street, the streetcars would likely remain, since the subway wouldn't cover either of those lines completely, and probably a very small portion of those lines anyway.

If they use express spacing of the stations, the streetcar service could remain to provide local service. By express spacing, I mean at the main arterial roads, like Bloor/Danforth, Queen, Yonge, Bathurst, Broadview, Pape, Dufferin, etc.. Whether to add stations more locally, would have to depend on the volume of possible passengers it would generate, like Spadina and University could be added without removing local streetcar service.

Just because they removed the Yonge and Bloor streetcars doesn't mean they should have. I would certainly agree with keeping both King and Queen streetcars - a very high percentage of traffic around King and Queen is local and with all the development going on local traffic seems likely to increase.

There is still the 97 Yonge bus route, given that the Yonge line can have stations that are 2km apart from each other.

A King ROW isn't that smart, the streetcar service will likely end once the DRL comes online. I support a queen ROW though, that is unlikely to end service.

Phase one of the DRL, downtown to the Danforth, wouldn't have much effect on the King car -- the only duplication would be a couple of subway stations on King East (and not even that if the rail corridor alignment is used). That's hardly going to make the entire 504 route irrelevant.

Phase two, Danforth to Don Mills & Eglinton, would have no effect.

Phase three, some kind of western DRL, is unlikely to happen for a *very* long time -- maybe never, if the Georgetown corridor eventually gets used to its full potential.

So no, I don't think the King service is likely to end in our lifetimes, at least not because of a DRL. (But a King ROW probably won't happen either...)

Metrolinx's plan, the one currently most likely to be built, budgets over $7 billion for the DRL west and east portions. Metrolinx hasn't exactly determined exactly where it will run, but it does seem intent on funding the entire portion south of bloor.

Metrolinx's plan, the one currently most likely to be built, budgets over $7 billion for the DRL west and east portions. Metrolinx hasn't exactly determined exactly where it will run, but it does seem intent on funding the entire portion south of bloor.

I'll believe it when I'm riding it westbound from Spadina! The initial plan (in the Next Wave of the Big Move) is just to build the downtown-Danforth section, and by the time that's done, I suspect they might have realized that it's a bit duplicative to build *two* grade-separated electrified railways from downtown to Dundas West (i.e. the Georgetown corridor and a DRL West). But this is a conversation for the DRL thread.

All of metrolinx's maps show both the western and eastern portions, and 7 billion is a bit high for one line.. But at the same time seems very cheap for both sides.

This thread is supposed to be discussing the City's current downtown transportation study. Of course the DRL will, when/if it is built change these patterns but the study is dealing with NOW. Time to get back to the present, I suggest! (At least in THIS thread.)

All of metrolinx's maps show both the western and eastern portions

This is the option Metrolinx selected for future study:

kYnfjqp.png

You may be thinking of City of Toronto's maps, which is running its own studies, though only one or two of those shows a Western arm.

I would add Queen/Dufferin, where the old Parkdale train station used to be. Another old train station was at Dundas/Dupont/Annette, but the Dundas West/Bloor location is better.

There is still the 97 Yonge bus route, given that the Yonge line can have stations that are 2km apart from each other.

that's what happens when one intentionally chooses to live in a sparsely populated area. If they have more extensive transit, the cost will be higher and will be on other taxpayers.
Anywhere south of Eglinton, the distance between stations is a nothing but a comfortable walk.

Back