News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

it's about 750k+ to live comfortably in most of the neighbourhoods (you'll need a bit more in some of the other areas)

Interesting enough, most of those are not 'pro' Ford

Anyother liberal but smitherman would have probably beaten Ford.

But there are many other neighborhoods IN the city that are still affordable...I know b/c I'm a frequent mls visitor and I set my max 'house' price at 550 and there's always lots of houses that are pretty nice (to me at least) in that price range and many even lower.

As for not being able to raise kids in apartment buildings (not that you said that...I think someone else did), don't Europeans and Asians already do that and haven't they been doing it for ages? Are their kids not okay?

As for not being able to raise kids in apartment buildings (not that you said that...I think someone else did), don't Europeans and Asians already do that and haven't they been doing it for ages? Are their kids not okay?
The difference is that in Rome apartments are 3 storey high and max 5 storey high. Plus there you have apartment blocks which are for example 5-8 apartment buildings that are 3-5 storey high and are built around a circular courtyard. Is that what developers are building here?

The difference is that in Rome apartments are 3 storey high and max 5 storey high. Plus there you have apartment blocks which are for example 5-8 apartment buildings that are 3-5 storey high and are built around a circular courtyard. Is that what developers are building here?
Developers aren't buildings schools, and aren't constructing buildings with other kids already in them either. Plus, just try and find a 3 bedroom in a new building right downtown for an affordable price. The vast majority of such units are penthouses or otherwise high dollar units. Hardly conducive to raising families on more realistic incomes.

So, we have multiple issues here. The affordability of family friendly condo units just isn't there, and even if such units did exist in decent numbers, they're in neighbourhoods currently which just don't have kids and don't have schools. Hence, for my condo complex every family with a new baby eventually moved out. They keep the condo with the kid for a few years at most, and then would move to places like Riverdale or whatever. Not usually Yorkville or Leaside or Forest Hill, because of the cost.

Okay, since you've got no substance in your posts/rebuttals, I'll just conclude that you're probably just not too bright and ignore you...
Now THAT's condescending. You'll have to add me to your ignore list now too.

Danny, don't you think that just maybe they're just taking the mickey out of you?

Now THAT's condescending. You'll have to add me to your ignore list now too.

Danny, don't you think that just maybe they're just taking the mickey out of you?

I'm not familiar with that term (taking the mickey?)?

As for being condescending by saying I'm going to ignore someone who jumped to conclusions about a thoughtful analysis about an article and then afterwards failing even to explain WHY he accused me of being condescending...screw that...if I can't post on here without being accused of things it's my right to ignore these folks...it is NOT difficult to ASK first, then criticize after (the logic by the way, not the person).

suburbs meaning 905...
what is in the mind of an immigrant ?
in toronto you can buy 1000 sf but in the suburbs you can buy 4000 sf with the same money (or it used to be).
it is much simpler...
in mississauga and markham there are more jobs than in downtown for the immigrants.
it is much simpler...
clean, decent locations in toronto (yorkmills, avenue road, bayview, rosedale, forest hill, etc) for SFH are very expensive.

I was at Finch and Don Mills last night at 5:30 pm waiting for the light to change when I noticed that there was as much traffic southbound as northbound. Does this mean that as many people live in the 416 and work in the 905 as the reverse?

I couldn't detect any difference in skin colour.

Last edited:
I was at Finch and Don Mills last night at 5:30 pm waiting for the light to change when I noticed that there was as much traffic southbound as northbound. Does this mean that as many people live in the 416 and work in the 905 as the reverse?
I've noticed over the years at Don Mills and York Mills that the timing on the lights has changed to give more preference to turning for those going northbound, to try and reduce congestion there, with the cost going to increasing the queuing for those going south. When I was driving it regularly, and they suddenly make a change, it was very noticeable.

Well, why not--there's all that Markham industry to consider. (And of course, those commuting to and from Markham are more likely to use automobiles--out of necessity, of course--than those commuting to and from downtown.)

urban-suburban-12.jpg

LOL, so when a white family is on the show, it's a safe bet they will choose Whiteby, Burlington, Oakville in the burbs or Cabbagetown, Leslieville, High Park, in the city. If let's say an south asian couple goes on the show, they will probably choose Brampton, Mississauga in the burbs or Liberty Village (?) in the city.

On a serious note, I agree that most immigrants come to North America looking for space that is affordable with wide open areas and greenery. Why on earth would they want to move here and live in the same cramped quarters back in their homeland? They can buy a fully detached home in the burbs, which is usually unattainable back home. I'm sure these immigrants will happily sacrifice going to Nuit Blanche or checking out the Fringe Festival for that affordable, bigger home.

Back