News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I don't know how long they've been closed. I'm betting that the construction around the 108 St Building was a factor.

View attachment 512453
I work nearby; it closed at around the middle of summer if I recall correctly. The construction started after it closed, but within a day or two. At first I thought it was being renovated; it wasn't until I tried using the lobby entrance when the security guard on duty told me they actually closed permanently. The products there were very mediocre from my experiences, and there's another cafe one block north on 108 st, another in the fed building, one at 109 st and 100 ave, a restaurant (Hanan's) at 107 st and 99 ave, plus the timmies and starbucks on 107 st. I hope this space doesn't stay barren, but the area deserves better than a sub-par cafe that's only open during weekday business hours. I'd love to see something that's open evenings and weekends too; at least until 5 or 6 pm :)

Very good news.

City expands Window Repair Program to all BIAs​

October 13, 2023

The City of Edmonton has expanded its Window Repair Program to include all Business Improvement Areas (BIAs) across the city.

Damaged windows can significantly impact the curb appeal and, ultimately, the success of local businesses. As a result, earlier this year the City launched the Window Repair Program to provide additional support for property and business owners in dealing with graffiti and vandalized windows.

The City has allocated $500,000 for the grant program, which covers 50 per cent of costs for eligible repairs up to a maximum of $2,500, and approximately one-quarter has been dispersed to local businesses so far. The funding will continue until it has been fully allocated.

Eligible BIAs include 124 Street, Beverly, Chinatown, Downtown, Fort Road, French Quarter, Kingsway, North Edge, Northwest Industrial, Stony Plain Road, and Crossroads. The Old Strathcona Business Association and Alberta Avenue Business Association previously received $167,500 and $60,000 respectively to create and administer their own window repair programs. Those BIAs will be eligible for the expanded program once they have used up their allotted funding.

Other City supports for our Business Improvement Areas include the Storefront Improvement and Development Incentive programs, enhanced cleaning and graffiti removal, and 24/7 Crisis Diversion program.

For more information or to apply for the Window Repair Program grant, please visitedmonton.ca/downtown.

Media contact:
Courtney Bettin
Communications Advisor
Urban Planning and Economy
780-288-5922​

Chintz/Wonder Harbour building at 105 St/105 Ave has been demolished by MacEwan.

Confirmed

20231014_131130.jpg

^ parking

This is a temporary pop-up space while their permanent home is being worked on.
That is good to know. I was wondering why the space looked so temporary even as a pop up.

This program is a good start and I think it will help, so I don't want to be overly critical. However, I would like to see more retail variety and essentials downtown. We have a decent selection of coffee shops, restaurants and bars, but no places for hardware, small appliances, not much for basic men's wear (except high end), and many other things.

I work nearby; it closed at around the middle of summer if I recall correctly. The construction started after it closed, but within a day or two. At first I thought it was being renovated; it wasn't until I tried using the lobby entrance when the security guard on duty told me they actually closed permanently. The products there were very mediocre from my experiences, and there's another cafe one block north on 108 st, another in the fed building, one at 109 st and 100 ave, a restaurant (Hanan's) at 107 st and 99 ave, plus the timmies and starbucks on 107 st. I hope this space doesn't stay barren, but the area deserves better than a sub-par cafe that's only open during weekday business hours. I'd love to see something that's open evenings and weekends too; at least until 5 or 6 pm :)
Both the Tim's and Starbucks nearby on 107 Street often seem quite busy and there are other places too nearby, so yes there is quite a bit of demand in the area, but also a fair amount of competition.

If you want to succeed here, you have to be fairly good.

I have lived by Chintz building for almost 25 years, very sad to see it go. It was an excellent example of archrib construction and could easily been incorporated into a future development although I don't know the extent of the fire damage my guess is that since it was still standing it was repairable.

This will be parking for at least a decade in my mind. There's will be no impetus to do anything when you get parking revenue from students and Rogers Place goers. Hopefully they get a permit.

Also what does this say to the property owners next door that recently did a nice facade improvement? It's better to tear your building down when times are tough?

Also just FYI that this is technically in Central McDougall.

Back