News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think we would need to see an event like WInterval happening every day and night in order to really boost downtown. One-offs are nice, but the benefit doesn't stick around. I'm not sure how we make more of a permanent attraction DT on the same scale?
back in like 2017 there was a light up giant playground in the quarters I forgot what it was but it had illumated large see saws and swings and there was a ton of ppl there we should have something like that again. Above all, in these dark winter nights ppl need LIGHT! beautiful lights at that and ppl will come.

back in like 2017 there was a light up giant playground in the quarters I forgot what it was but it had illumated large see saws and swings and there was a ton of ppl there we should have something like that again. Above all, in these dark winter nights ppl need LIGHT! beautiful lights at that and ppl will come.

It was part of Nuit Blanche and where Kinistinaw Park is now.

I think we would need to see an event like WInterval happening every day and night in order to really boost downtown. One-offs are nice, but the benefit doesn't stick around. I'm not sure how we make more of a permanent attraction DT on the same scale?
As someone who works downtown and is here every day, there is a fairly steady number of people coming downtown currently during the day now for work, various meetings and appointments. It is probably not yet at the same level as pre COVID, but it is a fairly decent level of activity. I also judge it by the nearby paid parking lots, some of which are back to being nearly full.

It is mainly just the evenings and weekends that need to be filled more. Some evenings there already are various other existing events such as hockey games and concerts and likewise for weekends.

So, no we do not need to have an event like Winterval happening every day and night. We mostly just need to fill in the weekends and evenings more.

As someone who works downtown and is here every day, there is a fairly steady number of people coming downtown currently during the day now for work, various meetings and appointments. It is probably not yet at the same level as pre COVID, but it is a fairly decent level of activity. I also judge it by the nearby paid parking lots, some of which are back to being nearly full.

It is mainly just the evenings and weekends that need to be filled more. Some evenings there already are various other existing events such as hockey games and concerts and likewise for weekends.

So, no we do not need to have an event like Winterval happening every day and night. We mostly just need to fill in the weekends and evenings more.
Yup. I’m in full agreement here. Walking around DT daytime, there’s a decent amount of activity. I’d argue Friday night is also quite busy now.

I’d argue DT just has similar issues like transit where it’s quite busy during peak hours but falls off during weekends/off peak times.

Are you able to elaborate on this?
Basically just a lot of comments about “poor people”, certain “types” of people (racism), and whining about how transit loses money and users should pay more. Whining about bike lanes. Making excuses that “why patrol downtown when all the liberal lovers down there want us defunded”. Stuff like that.

It was cynical, divisive, elitist, etc. not at all determined, hopeful, visionary, or collaborative.

Yup. I’m in full agreement here. Walking around DT daytime, there’s a decent amount of activity. I’d argue Friday night is also quite busy now.

I’d argue DT just has similar issues like transit where it’s quite busy during peak hours but falls off during weekends/off peak times.
Oilers making the playoffs every year as long as possible is honestly the biggest boost I can see us realistically securing. Getting 20-30k people downtown 4 times every 2 weeks in that awkward transition season from winter to summer is so helpful.

Likely helps a lot of restaurants do ok before patio seasons and summer festivals kick off.

THE MARC RESTAURANT - FOR SALE - retirement?
9940 106 STREET, EDMONTON, AB.
GORGEOUS FULLY FIXTURED RESTAURANT AVAILABLE
STRATEGICALLY LOCATED AND VERY WELL ESTABLISHED FULLY FIXTURED AWARD WINNING RESTAURANT
BEAUTIFULLY APPOINTED LEASEHOLDS AND FIXTURES
2,662 SQUARE FEET PLUS PATIO
FAVORABLE LEASE IN PLACE
STRONG HISTORICAL FINANCIALS
SALE PRICE: $475,000.00

https://www.linkedin.com/in/marino-...age:d_flagship3_feed;7cCQmWU3R72lYDIc00M1yQ==

Walked a buddy (who is new to Downtown) around this weekend as he gets settled into his new apartment.

1. loves the walkability
2. decent amenities in the area
3. confused by the lack of care of private/public spaces
4. disappointed by the amount of empty CRUs
5. disgusted by the feces, amount of garbage, 'broken things'
6. sees an opportunity for infill housing
7. concerned about the amount of sketchy guys on BMXs with backpacks
8. disappointed with the lack of visible EPS
9. said that hours of many places are not great for residents
10. pointed out how 'lucky' we are to have ICE District

Last edited:
Walked a buddy (who is new to Downtown) around this weekend as he gets settled into his new apartment.

1. loves the walkability
2. decent amenities in the area
3. confused by the lack of care of private/public spaces
4. disappointed by the amount of empty CRUs
5. disgusted by the feces, amount of garbage, 'broken things'
6. sees an opportunity for infill housing
7. concerned about the amount of sketchy guys on BMXs with backpacks
8. disappointed with the lack of visible EPS
9. said that hours of many places are not great for residents
10. pointed out how 'lucky' we are to have ICE District
#4 and #9 are particularly important, and I think really an extension of #2. Having a good variety of goods and services nearby is part of the amenities which makes a downtown liveable. On this score alone ours fails.

#9 - The hours are bad, with not much open after 6pm, particularly on the weekends. #7 - Those guys in BMXs are not stupid, pretty hard for the police to track them in their patrol cars and that ties into #8. I think I am more likely to be hit by a meteor on Jasper Ave than see a police foot patrol there. No wonder everything is so hunkered down and closed up when it gets dark. The police have in effect ceded this territory to the shady element and lot of people are hesitant to go out after dark.

Quick trip to Downtown Calgary on the weekend.

- More people out and about, mostly Stephen Ave and Olympic Plaza but rest of Downtown pretty quiet. ICE District on a hockey game would be a comparison.
- West side of Downtown is totally deserted on the weekends. Lots of street parking, free unlimited hours Saturday and Sunday.
- Lots of people taking C-Train, no issues or disorder at the stations.
- Visible open drug use, disorder, garbage in two locations - McDonald's on Stephen Ave and in front of Superstore. Superstore had 2 broken windows, multiple people doing drugs with shopping carts, and saw people shoplifting. That said, didn't feel unsafe, just unfortunate issues. More issues around shelters in East Village in general than rest of Downtown.
- Almost no visible issues anywhere else. Some sketchy people but no garbage or people acting out. Simply not the same amount of people wandering around aimlessly on the streets with mental health or drug issues. Saw no encampments but I might have missed seeing if they were not Downtown.
- No visible cops or security.
- Office conversions well underway but not a lot of other residential development Downtown. It really still is mostly office and hospitality, that is their focus.

Last edited:
Quick trip to Downtown Calgary on the weekend.

- More people out and about, mostly Stephen Ave and Olympic Plaza but rest of Downtown pretty quiet.
- West side of Downtown is totally deserted on the weekends. Lots of street parking, free unlimited hours Saturday and Sunday.
- Lots of people taking C-Train, no issues or disorder at the stations.
- Visible open drug use, disorder, garbage in two locations - McDonald's on Stephen Ave and in front of Superstore. Superstore had 2 broken windows, multiple people doing drugs with shopping carts, and saw people shoplifting. That said, didn't feel unsafe, just unfortunate issues. More issues around shelters in East Village in general than rest of Downtown.
- Almost no visible issues anywhere else. Some sketchy people but no garbage or people acting out. Simply not the same amount of people wandering around aimlessly on the streets with mental health or drug issues. Saw no encampments but I might have missed seeing if they were not Downtown.
- No visible cops or security.
It has been mentioned before that Calgary has more permanent shelter spaces than Edmonton, despite homelessness being a bigger issue in Edmonton.

So, I am asking yet again - when will the Alberta government fix this?

Basically just a lot of comments about “poor people”, certain “types” of people (racism), and whining about how transit loses money and users should pay more. Whining about bike lanes. Making excuses that “why patrol downtown when all the liberal lovers down there want us defunded”. Stuff like that.

It was cynical, divisive, elitist, etc. not at all determined, hopeful, visionary, or collaborative.
I do not think policing is the solution downtown, this is largely because of how bad police are at doing their jobs of protecting person and property compared to mall security guards. I do think levels of community policing, some of which may be considered vigilantism by too many (I wouldn't), may be needed. I know this conflicts with the temperament of many people that move to an urban area, but being more vigilant, calling people out that are throwing trash on the ground, holding all people up to basic standards when they're in public, are good things. I think to many this may come off as bullying, degrading people, uncompassionate, etc. I don't think that is the case, I have basic expectations of people living around us.

I think a certain level of social pressure can, and should be felt by all people in an area where others are affected by your presence. When I see someone throw trash on the ground, while walking downtown, or harassing people, I have said something at a risk of getting involved physically. Don't get stabbed, but if you're a grown man with your friends, I think you owe it to the rest of us to try and pressure people to behave like well adjusted people.

It has been mentioned before that Calgary has more permanent shelter spaces than Edmonton, despite homelessness being a bigger issue in Edmonton.

So, I am asking yet again - when will the Alberta government fix this?
I think YEG is 1/3 of total shelter space Calgary has.

Back