News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The Last Modern Event Venue is now open on 106 St if any of you have a wedding or corporate event to book

1700574921430.png

I am going to post this in 3 locations (thanks 'O for the precedent), relevant to the MacU expansion, a downtown impetus for accelerated development, and additional oomph for both the CFL in general and the Edmonton Elks specifically. This location for a new stadium has a series of positives:
-- incentivize central Edmonton Development (on steroids); transitional as the ICE District has proven/is proving to be.
-- brings massive crowds to the centre of the City supporting both Retail and Hospitality growth.
-- boosts interest in the Elks helping to prop up attendance locally and creating promotional interest in the CFL
-- increases opportunity for a professional Soccer team franchise (could happen concurrently with the announcement of a new stadium build-out)
-- provides an athletic venue for Track and Field and International competitions
-- provides a Sports Venue for MacU and for NorQuest college students (similar to Rogers Place arena).
-- in its build-out can provide a world class venue for major concert venues (year-round)
-- puts Edmonton on the map (once again) as a major sports venue
-- enables the repurposing of Commonwealth Stadium as a specialized Winter and Summer X-games venue with build-out of infrastructure that promotes that end, making it the World premier venue for X-games (a win:win solution)
Screen Shot 2023-11-23 at 11.42.12 AM.png

Walked around much of Downtown yesterday.

Great to see some life back, a few places quite busy, lights up and a train rolling.

That said, the amount of open drug use in interior vestibules, needles around and aggressive folks who clearly were heading to fill their backpacks was quite disturbing once again.

Didn't see one EPS beats or visible presence anywhere in 4 hours.

This could be the eastern view from a downtown stadium showing the pedestrian trail that connects to Rogers Place and LRT Capital Line (and thereby the rest of the City's LRT system). I could see the substation melange just out of view to the left being relocated underground as part of the stadium build-out (below the lowest tier of Stadium seating), freeing up the land to create a park-like transition to a major underground parking structure (like existing ICE District) with a centre-focused park in ICE District Phase II and the mid- to high-rise towers surrounding it. This would certainly be within the wherewithal of Katz and company and would reaffirm the main reason for living downtown -- a sports and entertainment mecca.
Screen Shot 2023-11-21 at 11.23.25 AM.png

Looking west down 105th Avenue at 106th Street, MacU on the left and the three blocks of 1 and 2 storey industrial buildings on the right that could be replaced by a stadium with hotel, condos, and apartment towers above. MacU in its general plan is scheduled to build out northward over existing surface parking (visible in the photo). 105th Avenue then has great potential for street-facing retail and hospitality as part of the Stadium concept. There are myriad other possibilities that could make the Avenue very active. Other general photos of the proposed Stadium area follow.
Screen Shot 2023-11-21 at 11.25.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-21 at 11.32.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-21 at 11.33.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-21 at 11.33.20 AM.png

I am new to Edmonton (for a month) and I wonder if the MacEwan University - John L. Haar Library is open to the public? I am no student at all, can I stay go inside the library and do my own stuff?

I have been using the pubic library, however it seems noisy to me.

I am new to Edmonton (for a month) and I wonder if the MacEwan University - John L. Haar Library is open to the public? I am no student at all, can I stay go inside the library and do my own stuff?

I have been using the pubic library, however it seems noisy to me.
You can definitely go in and do your own thing. I can't remember how accessible taking things out or using their computers are for non-students, but if you're showing up with your own books or laptop to work, then there's no issue. Free Wi-Fi even.

You can definitely go in and do your own thing. I can't remember how accessible taking things out or using their computers are for non-students, but if you're showing up with your own books or laptop to work, then there's no issue. Free Wi-Fi even.
Yeah, universities are supposed to be open. When I was at McMaster University, I remember the library was also open to public (no ID card required). But I know some universities (not in Canada) have their library accessible only to its staff/student.

Reference ID:Job No 492248005-002
Description:To Increase Public Space of a Restaurant from 153.2m2 to 365.3m2 by expanding into adjacent space previously used as a Professional, Financial and Office Support Service
Plan 8622410 Blk 3 Lot A
Applicant:CK DESIGN LID
Create Date:2023-11-27T15:28:13Z
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN
Reference ID:Job No 492178322-002
Description:To Change the Use from a Professional, Financial and Office Support Service to a Childcare Service (60 Children) and Construct Exterior Alterations (Outdoor Playground)
Plan NB Blk 6 Lot 81
Applicant:MJD DEVELOPMENTS
Create Date:2023-11-27T09:50:07Z
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

Back