News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think the spirit of the post is that we are 12-20 years out and it's completely an estimation and hence the precise math doesn't matter cause it's all a ballpark estimate. 2040 is just a clean number vs say 2034.

Let's stay cheery friends :)

Whatever the timetables is, we will hopefully see a new round of developments kick off this year that can significantly increase our downtown population and shift perceptions of downtown for the better! Can't wait for the central park and a few new towers in there!!

all my criticisms are cheery... it’s just that at 70 i don’t have the same patience with nonsense i had at 35, particularly when it’s the same nonsense.

not to be picky but 2 * 7 with a margin of error or 2 * -2 could just as easily be 2031 as 2040.

you need to stop being so flip with your postings and then defending or justifying them to the max just so it looks good on you grasshopper.

It most certainly could be... but the intent and point (prior to the tiresome peanut gallery) was that we are aways away from where we want and need to be.

The only math that I have trouble with is your trigonometry for I am not trying to be obtuse, but occasionally tangential.

Last edited:
Looks like they are starting construction of the new downtown park! Ok, maybe not. But it seems like they may be putting on a new layer of asphalt in one section of this wasteland. I don't know. A layer of dirt was put down though and a few patches of asphalt.

20210422_192707.jpg20210422_192619.jpg

The City of Calgary and its downtown partners must make the bold moves required to shift from vacancy to vibrancy. We are seeking an initial investment of $200 million in our downtown from Council on April 26 that will start this shift.

This initial investment of $200 million is focused on areas that will start to lower office vacancy, improve downtown vibrancy, and support the development of thriving neighbourhoods that attract residents, visitors, and talent for downtown’s businesses.

$45 million in financial incentives for office conversion, office replacement, and new residential development
$5 million in financial incentives to offset +15 Fund contributions for residential development, which has been a significant roadblock for residential development downtown
$55 million for impactful capital projects to improve public spaces, create vibrancy and support complete neighbourhoods
$5 million to activate downtown public spaces with festivals, events and community spaces to build vibrancy
$10 million over four years for a dedicated City of Calgary Downtown team
$80 million for Arts Commons Transformation Phase 1
This is just the beginning of our downtown’s long road to reinvention. The 10-year implementation of The Plan will require near-term and medium to long-term actions, along with a multi-pronged, multi-phased, and multi-stakeholder approach to reinvent Calgary’s downtown and begin the shift from vacancy to vibrancy. We need support of from all levels of government to reverse the course of our downtown.

We encourage you to virtually attend the April 26 City Council meeting to learn about Calgary’s Greater Downtown Plan and our initial financial investment in downtown’s road to reinvention.

Our best days are ahead of us. There is no easy fix, but we’ll come back stronger than ever with grit, determination, and collaboration to move the heart of Calgary along the road to reinvention.

Thank you,

Thom Mahler
Program Lead, Downtown Strategy

Interesting. They've got some huge city projects that require public funds all at the same time such as their pricey Green Line, arena project, BMO Centre and I think a few other big projects, more than I'm aware I'm sure. They also have that $100M fund to contribute towards businesses expanding or setting up shop there and now this $200M proposal. Some big ticket items.

Last edited:

Back