News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Went to Craft at 7pm and things felt pretty quiet for a summer Saturday plus spark. Anyone go earlier in the day or after 9pm? Was it better?

I support the entertainment district for sure (why we went with friends). But was a bit disappointed by the vibe and lack of life. Brought friends from deep suburbs and they didn’t seem too impressed sadly. 2/3rds of picnic tables empty, couple dozen people wandering a very large road.
I was there around 2:30-3:30. It was definitely the busiest that I've ever seen this area. Most of the tables were occupied. The patios were also quite full. Day one seemed to be a win from my perspective. I think it'll do very well when it overlaps with festivals.

This might be more downtown adjacent than downtown, but I see that a Biktrix e-Bike dealer is opening up at the corner of 101A Ave and 97 street, across from Canada Place.

Not really a big fan of their bikes, but between Cranky's at Unity Square, Revolution moving into the old Ford dealership on Jasper Ave & 115 Street, Bike Edmonton's ongoing presence by MacEwan and this, the core is certainly getting a wealth of options.

It's also an interesting spot to see ANYTHING grow.
IMG_0215.jpeg

I was there around 2:30-3:30. It was definitely the busiest that I've ever seen this area. Most of the tables were occupied. The patios were also quite full. Day one seemed to be a win from my perspective. I think it'll do very well when it overlaps with festivals.
That’s great to hear. Yeah, afternoon during the live music was probably busier.

And like others said, the fatigue of going out every few nights for a lot of people with the oilers is probably part of it. I’d imagine a lot of restaurants were pretty quiet yesterday despite it being a Saturday.

This might be more downtown adjacent than downtown, but I see that a Biktrix e-Bike dealer is opening up at the corner of 101A Ave and 97 street, across from Canada Place.

Not really a big fan of their bikes, but between Cranky's at Unity Square, Revolution moving into the old Ford dealership on Jasper Ave & 115 Street, Bike Edmonton's ongoing presence by MacEwan and this, the core is certainly getting a wealth of options.

It's also an interesting spot to see ANYTHING grow.View attachment 569027
Honestly, people criticize biktrix and Rad power for being cheaper quality, but rad has probably done more for North American cycling than anything else these last 5 years. They’ve gotten hundreds of thousands of people on bikes who wouldn’t otherwise due to costs of other e-bikes.

For that, I’m grateful. Hope this store is a huge success!

Honestly, people criticize biktrix and Rad power for being cheaper quality, but rad has probably done more for North American cycling than anything else these last 5 years. They’ve gotten hundreds of thousands of people on bikes who wouldn’t otherwise due to costs of other e-bikes.

For that, I’m grateful. Hope this store is a huge success!
Yeah, even if I'd never buy one of theirs, they do seem to gateway people into cycling as transport.

I suspect that Rad is better at it given they seem to have offered more by way of decent urban options, and Biktrix seems to focus upon super-heavy e-fatbikes. My other half picked up a Rad Mission single speed for cheap on clearance, figuring it was a good low-risk option, fitted it with basket, rear rack and fenders, and lo and behold, it got her to be a lot more eager about bicycling (certainly much more than her old super-heavy hybrid that probably originated from a Canadian Tire ever did).

I’m thinking if we didn’t have the Oilers cup run going on now….then yeah…..evenings would be more balanced. Plus, it was the first nice weekend we’ve had all year we had 25+ folks over at our house for the our first bbq get-together of the Summer
TBH, the playoffs are giving me a definite fatigue for downtown in general. The other half and I normally stay in on regular season game nights because... why would anyone deal with that if you're not going to the game? Now, it's reaching the point where on game nights we want to be somewhere else entirely.

I remember being in downtown Minneapolis on a Twins game night in late Aug./early Sept. many years ago—before we even knew we were getting a DT arena here. I don't particularly care for baseball and couldn't tell you if they won or lost that night but the vibes were incredible. I loved the number of people it brought out—packed patios, live music blaring out of bar doors/windows as you walked by, random groups of people hanging out in small corner parks eating their food from one of the many trucks that lined the street. It was awesome and I longed to see something like that in Edmonton.

Anyway, enjoy the ride!

TBH, the playoffs are giving me a definite fatigue for downtown in general. The other half and I normally stay in on regular season game nights because... why would anyone deal with that if you're not going to the game? Now, it's reaching the point where on game nights we want to be somewhere else entirely.

It's beautiful, isn't it!

I also dislike things because other people enjoy it...

Great vibe on Saturday at the block party. Sherlocks was very happy with the turnout, they did very brisk business. So did Rosewood. Craft didn't seem to know what was going on at all, tried to get a drink there to go and hostess said is was 30 min wait. No idea what she's talking about so I walked out. Steady turnout all day picnic tables full until after last band at 7pm. Drag Festival in Churchill was busy with people going between both. Lots of families. Definitely some Oilers fatigue, rest of Downtown was pretty quiet for a Saturday evening.

Back