News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I've always found that Craft has been out of the loop on Downtown and RHW events over the years; unsure why that's the case.

IMG_2050.jpeg
IMG_2058.jpeg
IMG_2053.jpeg
IMG_2001.jpeg

It's beautiful, isn't it!
I like downtown, and I'm happy local businesses are doing well, but this isn't really my scene and the game night crowds and traffic don't really do it for me. I kind of like being able to get a table when I go out and be able to carry a conversation. But it's only for a little while and then it will calm down. And hopefully some folks are getting to have some positive experiences with walkable urbanism who wouldn't otherwise experience it. And there's other things I can do in the meantime, especially now that the other half is out of her apartment right in the thick of this and into what's going to be our new place in Blatchford and we're not going to be dealing with the honking and such..

Last edited:
I also dislike things because other people enjoy it...
Cute, but at the best of times I'm not one who goes places and thinks, "You know, I wish this place were clogged with innumerable loud drunks."

And it's the middle of June. I can't pretend to be more excited about winter skating sports than I am about fresh asparagus. I'm happy everyone else is having fun and business is doing well, but I'm going to let it pass and come back after it wraps up.

Last edited:
Well, not just us. If anything I feel we have started to turn the corner recently, especially with bringing more events and activities that draw people downtown .

Interestingly, more density while helpful does not seem to solve all the problems.

Downtown decline: Is Vancouver on the brink of becoming a retail dead zone?​

Well, not just us. If anything I feel we have started to turn the corner recently, especially with bringing more events and activities that draw people downtown .

Interestingly, more density while helpful does not seem to solve all the problems.

Going to Seattle in a week and a half......you wanna see an empty DT - I've been looking to see what is there from pre-COVID - half of the restaurants and stores are shut permanently. Hard to even find a decent restaurant......I'll take a bunch of "empty store front" pics and post.

Really? According to our all-seeing all-knowing guru from Canmore, @IanO, density is the absolute be-all and end-all of everything that ails us. Maybe it's an urbanist myth?

I didn't mean to criticize him. I appreciate his enthusiasm and do feel more density would help some. I know he has also commented about public safety and cleanliness too.

However, if we have more residents around, but their high rise condos become bunkers, because they are afraid or reluctant to go out or there is nothing around, so they always drive to a power on the edge of downtown, we have not accomplished much.

anecdotally only, but between coworkers and strangers in the 15+, there is A LOT of interest in Calgary for in visiting/researching Edmonton for the SCF. Beyond those paying the $$$$$ for actual tickets, talk of being in the "ice district", "part of the experience" is true. Expect some fresh eyes on the DT who maybe haven't been since before 2010 🤣 . Never hurts for the perception of the city

Back