News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm curious if Jelena will re-open Champs in another central location?

Suggestions:
ECC in the Sport Chek space
Falcon tower podium
Augustana podium
ICE District or nearby
Isn't there actually already a previous gym space in ECC (right near Sport Chek) not currently being used. It would probably not need much work to make it work.

Oh right, might have to pay for parking there or heaven forbid, take the LRT.

^Yeah, David A is referring to the gym that was across from Spork Chek's second level. I believe it was a World Gym at one point, among other things. Was a popular lunchtime workout spot for a lot of my coworkers over the years. I'm assuming the newer Good Life in Commerce has filled that void, though.

Yep, that space (which used to be Home Outfitters) was a World Health Club that relocated from the Bell Tower Annex. They changed their name to GYMVMT and continued in the same spot until they shut down about 3 years ago due to COVID. I used to go there at noon or after work for quite a few years. These days I've been working out at GoodLife in Commerce Place since they opened in November 2022.

Oh wow, a place like that opening is huge for confidence in the area. Hopefully there's more to come!
Exactly! I hope it's not a mirage of heat exhaustion but if someone else can confirm that information, please do! I had to do a double take when I saw that.

^Yeah, David A is referring to the gym that was across from Spork Chek's second level. I believe it was a World Gym at one point, among other things. Was a popular lunchtime workout spot for a lot of my coworkers over the years. I'm assuming the newer Good Life in Commerce has filled that void, though.
Yes. It would actually probably be not too difficult to adapt the old World Heath space as a boxing gym.

While these plans and visions of the council back in the day did not come to fruition as planned (as the article mentions, for various reasons), at least councils of the day had the vision for these grand plans. I cannot say the same thing about Sohi and council, and I don't feel as if Iveson's council displayed any city building vision either.

The last mayor that I'd argue who had a vision of building downtown was Mandel, who whether you like the deal or not pushed to have the Ice district and arena move forward to revitalize downtown.

Where have Edmonton's visionary civic leaders disappeared to?

Yes, it is a particularly non visionary crowd we currently have, for whatever reason. I feel first it has something to do with all the disruption from COVID and having to be reactionary over the last few years.

I also feel there is a generally very conservative, cautious mindset amongst the current bunch, ironic as politically they many be called progressive.

Perhaps much of this stems from the mayor's style as well which veers towards that cautious approach. I don't think he would be described as bold or visionary either, but it seems to also be what councilors are comfortable with as they seem to go along with it much of the time.

IMO Sohi is a status quo guy: Level headed, steady handed, relatively risk adverse, and a total filthy centrist. His main focus does seem to be simply finding compromises and keeping things moving day to day rather than defining a vision for the future or city building. I really don’t think he’s a bad mayor necessarily but he’d be a way better CAO for a mid size rural town.

For a city experience rapid growth and change like Edmonton currently, I would definitely prefer someone who has an idea of what they’d like to see Edmonton become and has the gall to push to make it happen.

IMO Sohi is a status quo guy: Level headed, steady handed, relatively risk adverse, and a total filthy centrist. His main focus does seem to be simply finding compromises and keeping things moving day to day rather than defining a vision for the future or city building. I really don’t think he’s a bad mayor necessarily but he’d be a way better CAO for a mid size rural town.

For a city experience rapid growth and change like Edmonton currently, I would definitely prefer someone who has an idea of what they’d like to see Edmonton become and has the gall to push to make it happen.
I don't think Sohi is overly "level headed, steady handed, relatively risk adverse". He jumped on all the "progressive" flavours of the month - including insane "defund the police" ideas because of BLM riots in a foreign city linked to some racist police officers. He spends too much time and money on dubious "climate change" initiatives that are costly and should not be too much of a civic focus. Also, his stance on crime and drugs is too permissive and Edmonton's downtown, and increasingly non-downtown areas, look like crap and are scary places for the general population. He needed to focus more on essential civic services, reducing costs and being more pragmatic.

I don't think Sohi is overly "level headed, steady handed, relatively risk adverse". He jumped on all the "progressive" flavours of the month - including insane "defund the police" ideas because of BLM riots in a foreign city linked to some racist police officers. He spends too much time and money on dubious "climate change" initiatives that are costly and should not be too much of a civic focus. Also, his stance on crime and drugs is too permissive and Edmonton's downtown, and increasingly non-downtown areas, look like crap and are scary places for the general population. He needed to focus more on essential civic services, reducing costs and being more pragmatic.

Sohi has not voted against any police budget cuts and has voted in favour of increases and a favorable police funding formula that EPS advocated for. He has also spoke out against the province and has asked for a reversal after the UCP took 40% of police fine revenues starting back in 2020 that went to the city for use in police and traffic safety initiatives.

What 'climate change' initiatives are you talking about?

So much to unpack in your comments, but in terms of reducing costs, Sohi has advocated and voted for initiatives such as density projects and zoning bylaw renewal aimed at reducing costs of providing city services to a sprawling city, as one example.

Last edited:

Back