News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I seem to recall that sometime in the 80s or so, there was a "bridge moving" here (is one of the spans supporting the existing rail lines newer than the rest?)

I seem to recall that sometime in the 80s or so, there was a "bridge moving" here (is one of the spans supporting the existing rail lines newer than the rest?)

I believe it was the 2nd east bridge that got move to the west after the station was torn down. Another piece of history disappears.

Sound like the east bridge will be move to line up with the new track 1 and moving a few others into final position.

July 18

IMG_july-18-09-0002.jpg

IMG_july-18-09-0003.jpg

IMG_july-18-09-0004.jpg

IMG_july-18-09-0006.jpg

IMG_july-18-09-0008.jpg

IMG_july-18-09-0052.jpg

IMG_july-18-09-0129.jpg

More on Youtube

I was down at the site yesterday and I noticed something odd. The area that is supposed to be dug up for the tunnel is now blocked in reinforced concrete. You can see it in Drum's pic:

This and the fact that they're moving the bridge West leads me to believe that there will be a mini jog: the tunnel would be offset to the east relative to Dufferin.

I hope I'm wrong and that retaining the wall is just there to secure the tracks while they do the work and will subsequently be removed for the tunnel.

I was down at the site yesterday and I noticed something odd. The area that is supposed to be dug up for the tunnel is now blocked in reinforced concrete. You can see it in Drum's pic:

This and the fact that they're moving the bridge West leads me to believe that there will be a mini jog: the tunnel would be offset to the east relative to Dufferin.

I hope I'm wrong and that retaining the wall is just there to secure the tracks while they do the work and will subsequently be removed for the tunnel.

I hope you're wrong too. I would hope the city of Toronto isn't so incompetent to replace one jog with another. But who knows. We'll see I guess? I had always assumed it would just be, you know, a straight line, hence all the work...

so they moved the eastern most bridge west? why? will they move it back when the project is finished?

The retaining wall is simply to hold up the tracks that will remain open for now. They will be constructing the bridge over Dufferin for the 2 eastern tracks first and will do any necessary work on the exposed Queen St tunnel wall. Once the first 2 bridges are in place over Dufferin they will shift two tracks to use the eastern most bridges... the second shift will likely involve all the bridges that currently exist since the current western most bridges sit on a section of the wall which will eventually not exist. I would expect the future 2 western most bridges over Queen will be of new construction while the existing older 6 handle the eastern tracks.

Thanks for the details EnviroTO.

It was obvious from the start that this would be one complicated dance. There's a reason it took half a century to become realized...

I can't wait until this project is finished and Dufferin is continuous. It's going to make an incredible difference for Caribana and the Ex in 2010, considering that Dufferin is the primary western artery for both those events. Today around 3:30 PM, Dufferin was heavy from south of Davenport and absolutely backed up south of Dundas; once cars and buses don't have to dance along Peel and Gladstone, they'll have to figure out entirely new ways to slow down traffic flow. Dufferin south of Queen was a symphony of car horns all afternoon.

Thanks for the pics. Did you get close to the site or did you zoom in with the camera? I'm wondering if the pit looks steep due to camera zoom or because it really drops off that fast.

Thanks for the pics. Did you get close to the site or did you zoom in with the camera? I'm wondering if the pit looks steep due to camera zoom or because it really drops off that fast.

Zoom in. I was hoping to ask someone if I could walk out, but everyone was gone when I was there and was surprise at this.

Back