News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Forming was being removed on Friday and you can see the east side of the east retaining wall now. Saw this as I was on the 29S bus.

The distance between Queen and King is about twice as long as a GO platform.

Another point for debate is the access from the east. If people are going to the EX, liberty village, BMO field, etc. they will transfer at Union and go to the Exhibition station. So, putting a new stop at King will only convenience people coming from the northwest heading to those attractions.

Since people coming from west and east already have full access, who else would the stop serve? The two northwest lines (Milton and Georgetown) both have the potential to bring a lot of people to the Ex/BMO/Convention area by train that currently drive......getting them as close to the grounds (ie. King) as possible makes tremendous sense....the further you are from the grounds though the less likely they will abandon their cars.

I also think people going to the EX will change at Union and go to exhibition station also, as king is still a good walk from the main attractions.

If you observe the pedestrian traffic before and after, say, a TFC match you will see that the public has already adjusted/accepted the walk from the King West/Liberty V. area.....after King though the walking crowd seems much sparser....so I think King would serve the Ex....not sure if Queen would or not.

I think, though, we can all accept that distance is a factor so the further away any station is, the less likely it would work. As it sits now, getting off at King/Liberty would be far more convenient than going to Union and doubling back.......not sure you could say the same if the station was at Queen....might be pushing the envelope a bit.

I think its more important to deliver good service to that area rather than duplicate service to liberty village, which already has a GO station on its south periphery and a working streetcar line to the core.

In my mind a Liberty Village/King station is not to serve the people of that area (not primarily) but, rather, to serve the massive population northwest of the city who currently can't take transit to all of the events at the Ex/Ontario Place/Liberty itself even though their transit lines run right through the place.

Last edited:
Aug 27

You can see the sidewalk is all ready in place as well the road itself. Center support framing going up.
IMG_aug-27-09-0003.jpg

IMG_aug-27-09-0004.jpg

IMG_aug-27-09-0005.jpg

IMG_aug-27-09-0006.jpg

These are going to be large support base to support the shoring of the bridge. I guess the sidewalk will have to be on the road on both sides and this will cause a traffic backup to a single lane in each direction.
IMG_aug-27-09-0012.jpg

On those pics, it does not look like this new section of Dufferin St. is wide enough for four lanes of traffic, bike lanes and sidewalks.:confused:

On those pics, it does not look like this new section of Dufferin St. is wide enough for four lanes of traffic, bike lanes and sidewalks.:confused:

That is because he took pictures of one half at a time from a fairly significant distance. Add the first picture to the second and there should be room.

Kinda silly and I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact I used to live around the corner, but this is one of my favourite projects to watch on UT.

My ex lived in the area so when he drove me home we always had to use the Dufferin jog so that's why this project is interesting to me :p

I remember, as a young, 20 year old, walking under that bridge on my way to and back from doing groceries at the Price Chopper. They'd had some sort of silly competition for creating murals on the concrete walls. They were awful and as much as I loved the actual bridge, I remember thinking, "When are they going to do something about this?" With the jog being eliminated and '2G' a possibility, this may turn into a nice little pocket of Queen West.

IMG_aug-30-09-0146.jpg

IMG_aug-30-09-0147.jpg

About 2 weeks until the centre support will be in place
IMG_aug-30-09-0148.jpg

If I seeing what I'm seeing, provision for LRT with a single lane of traffic and this news to me. If it is provision for tracks, smart thinking. Cannot see a bike lane here since Dufferin will never have one.
IMG_aug-30-09-0149.jpg

IMG_aug-30-09-0150.jpg

IMG_aug-30-09-0151.jpg

IMG_aug-30-09-0152.jpg

IMG_aug-30-09-0153.jpg

Will striping the forming off the west wall this week and then start the forming for the roof.
IMG_aug-30-09-0154.jpg

IMG_aug-30-09-0155.jpg

IMG_aug-30-09-0156.jpg

why aren't they using epoxy coated (green) rebar or stainless steel rebar for this project? i know it costs more but it will make the structure last longer.

It looks like they are using epoxy coated rebar for the central columns and the inner face of the retaining walls (you can see some coming up in the photos). Most of the rebar you see bent over is for the roof structure, and it probably wont be any more vulnerable to corrosion than a typical building.

Just a note, epoxy rebar has been known to fail quite badly in some cases, due to construction damage or manufacturing defects which remove bits of coating, allowing corrosion at concentrated spots. Fibre-reinforced polymer is a better bet, and I dont see any of it in these photos.

If I seeing what I'm seeing, provision for LRT with a single lane of traffic and this news to me. If it is provision for tracks, smart thinking.

It sure does look like they are providing for LRT.

I don't see it... what should I be looking for? I don't see tracks or the beginnings of...

They are not installing tracks, look for the channel on the ground where the inner two lanes are (on either side if the centre support) it looks like it is for installing streetcar tracks at a later date.

^ Oh I see. Good to know they're thinking ahead. Of any bus routes in the city, Dufferin is the most pressing candidate for a switch to LRT.

Back