News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

For your viewing pleasure...
dufferin_bus_route_map.gif

Yes, it changed within a day or two of the underpass opening. I think we discussed this further up the thread when it opened.

Gladstone should be turned into a 1 way street going south like it is north of Peel Ave. and traffic lights should be removed at the intersection with Queen. But what do you expect from brain dead moron traffic planners.

Gladstone should be turned into a 1 way street going south like it is north of Peel Ave. and traffic lights should be removed at the intersection with Queen. But what do you expect from brain dead moron traffic planners.

map_of_study_area_300.jpg

You are 3 months too late (it had been undergoing a study since 2009). The Ministry of the Environment (MOE) review process has been completed and the Peel Gladstone Class Environmental Assessment was approved on October 1, 2010.

See this link for the details.

You can download the PDF from this link.

The signal lights at Queen and Gladstone will probably remain since it will now connect with the Sudbury Street extension (now under construction).

The recommended solution includes:
  • Roadway generally narrowed from approximately 13.1 metres to approximately 8.6 metres which includes a 2.2 metre wide parking lane on alternating sides of the street
  • Single northbound lane on Gladstone Avenue (one-way operation)
  • Single westbound lane on Peel Avenue (one-way operation)
  • Sidewalk / boulevard width of approximately 5.7 metres
  • Double row of trees provided where possible (subject to utility locations and detailed design)

Last edited:
The signal lights at Queen and Gladstone will probably remain since it will now connect with the Sudbury Street extension (now under construction).

[/LIST]

I realize they are extending sudbury street to meet with the intersection paralell with gladstone at queen. They still don't need a traffic light at this intersection. There are plenty of minor streets that cross major arteries that don't have traffic lights. It's completely stupid to undergo a project of the Dufferin jog elimination size and not reap the proper rewards by keeping the set of traffic lights that were installed at the intersection of Queen and Gladstone only because of said former jog. If traffic was fully calmed on Gladstone by turning into a 1 way south only, traffic lights would not be neccessary anymore and we could reap the true rewards of elminated jog.

Last edited:
I realize they are extending sudbury street to meet with the intersection paralell with gladstone at queen. They still don't need a traffic light at this intersection. There are plenty of minor streets that cross major arteries that don't have traffic lights. It's completely stupid to undergo a project of the Dufferin jog elimination size and not reap the proper rewards by keeping the set of traffic lights that were installed at the intersection of Queen and Gladstone only because of said former jog. If traffic was fully calmed on Gladstone by turning into a 1 way south only, traffic lights would not be neccessary anymore and we could reap the true rewards of elminated jog.

However, you're underestimating (a) the relative importance of the Sudbury extension, (b) the continued treacherousness of the intersection, regardless of the jog's redundancy, and (b) traffic lights are for the benefit of pedestrians, too, and there's plenty of pedestrian cross-traffic here...

However, you're underestimating (a) the relative importance of the Sudbury extension, (b) the continued treacherousness of the intersection, regardless of the jog's redundancy, and (b) traffic lights are for the benefit of pedestrians, too, and there's plenty of pedestrian cross-traffic here...

The supermarket just above on Gladstone as well will still generate traffic, for now. The buildings going up in the West Queen West Triangle will also generate a lot of pedestrian and car traffic which will need access to Queen Street.

wqw_subjectlands_map_lg.jpg

Funny experience: my uncle prides himself of knowing every street in Toronto, even the smallest lesser known ones. Tonight he was driving me home and happened to take Dufferin. When he arrived in the new tunnel, he slammed on the breaks mid tunnel and nearly got out of the car. I had to tell him to keep going and explain where we were. He was lost! Hahaha I wish I had taken a picture of his face.

His words: "I've been driving around Toronto for 40 years and I've never ever been lost. For a moment there, I thought I was in a time machine or something" I'm still giggling several hours later.

I had a similar experience when I planned to go through the tunnel. I turned right from King onto Dufferin and looking at the underpass looking so close to king and so bright I thought I had turned early. The distance from King to Queen always seemed to look farther when looking at a dingy T intersection.

This is sort of related to the topic, (I have only been on the 29 bus once when I was exploring the city 5 years ago when I moved here) but does anyone know the percentage of 29 riders who stay on that bus route and how many get on or off at Dufferin Station along near Bloor? The reason that I ask is that I have lived in quite a few cities now with rapid transit systems and I appreciate the way the buses enter dierctly into the station a lot of the time and the 29 bus route doesn't. I read on the TTC website that Dufferin Station is being modernized, thankfully, but they aren't planning to have the buses enter directly into the station. Like I said I have lived in a number of cities now with rapid transit system and this is one thing that Toronto does well most of the time. Maybe most of the 29 riders stay on that route though, I am not sure of the travel patterns in that part of the city.

Back