News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

And I swear cars would move faster if it weren't for all those streetcars on the road!

Quoting Spock:

"the good of the many outweighs the good of the few, or the one". And there are many good in streetcars vs the one in the car.

I get your sentiment, but I always see more than one car on the road.

Spock's from Vulcan. That may explain the poor observation.

And I swear cars would move faster if it weren't for all those streetcars on the road!

Doubtful. Usually the streetcar has more than 10 riders off-peak and is jam packed during rush hour. I don't know how 10 to 100 cars in front of you could impede you less than a single streetcar.

I don't think that it's appropriate to ask someone to walk 600 metres to reach a locally oriented stop. People want to be dropped as close to their destination as possible and then board the return trip as close to their destination as possible. Richmond & Adelaide are 100 metres apart, and I think that's the furthest away two-way transit traffic should be.

It would take forever to get anywhere. You can't make transit service desirable if it stops that frequently. On the Danforth the subway stops every 500-600m and there is no issue with how far people need to walk.

Stop spacing is irrelevant here

I'm talking about parallel lines here. The comment is about having only southbound service on dufferin and only northbound service on lansdowne. That's too far to walk for a return trip.

Last edited:
I'm talking about parallel lines here. The comment is about having only southbound service on dufferin and only northbound service on lansdowne. That's too far to walk for a return trip.

Another factor with that is trip generators. Lansdowne itself is pretty residential so it probably doesn't matter either way, but the presence of Dufferin Mall is a big one for that consideration. Depending on whether or not you're getting a lot of people coming in from the south and transferring to northbound Dufferin buses today to get to the mall, you might be better off making Lansdowne the southbound-only route.

Another factor with that is trip generators. Lansdowne itself is pretty residential so it probably doesn't matter either way, but the presence of Dufferin Mall is a big one for that consideration. Depending on whether or not you're getting a lot of people coming in from the south and transferring to northbound Dufferin buses today to get to the mall, you might be better off making Lansdowne the southbound-only route.

But what is the benefit?

If someone is coming from, say, Dufferin & St. Clair and going to Dufferin Mall then what is the benefit making them walk over to Lansdowne to catch the return trip?

(It doesn't matter which is the northbound and which is the southbound)

Given that the Dufferin mall is such a large generator, and with travel patterns quite different south of Bloor than north, would it make sense in splitting the route in 2?

The service north of Bloor could terminate at a loop at Dufferin mall; and south of Bloor it could terminate at the subway. So there would be a short overlap past Dufferin mall.

Is there really that much traffic starting north of Dupont that is still there by the time you get to College?

Dufferin Mall to Dufferin Station really is the problem with the Dufferin Bus - there's two stops in both directions serving the mall - I really think the northern stop should be cut, being so close to the subway, while the southern stop at least is in front of the mall's entrance to the street. So many people take the bus for such a short hop and the lack of a fare-paid transfer at Dufferin also slows things down (the plus side, at least, is that the bus doesn't leave the street.)

Perhaps the ultimate solution is to have a bus tunnel from north of College through to north of Bloor, with two underground stops, with pre-payment at Dufferin Mall. Dufferin is also the ideal trolley bus route, that would also eliminate problems with ventilation.

But what is the benefit?

If someone is coming from, say, Dufferin & St. Clair and going to Dufferin Mall then what is the benefit making them walk over to Lansdowne to catch the return trip?

(It doesn't matter which is the northbound and which is the southbound)

In my opinion, there isn't. I agree with you that Dufferin and Lansdowne are too far away to work as halves of one line. My argument was only that if they were going to be made two halves, northbound Dufferin might make more sense.

Dufferin Mall to Dufferin Station really is the problem with the Dufferin Bus - there's two stops in both directions serving the mall - I really think the northern stop should be cut, being so close to the subway, while the southern stop at least is in front of the mall's entrance to the street. So many people take the bus for such a short hop and the lack of a fare-paid transfer at Dufferin also slows things down (the plus side, at least, is that the bus doesn't leave the street.)

Perhaps the ultimate solution is to have a bus tunnel from north of College through to north of Bloor, with two underground stops, with pre-payment at Dufferin Mall. Dufferin is also the ideal trolley bus route, that would also eliminate problems with ventilation.

There is 3 stop for south Bound and 2 north bound and only one is needed in each direction. Walking distance is about 300m going with one. 90% of the time I walked to/from Bloor to the Mall.

It would be better to have a Tunnel from the Bloor Station so people can walk it.

Just wanted to provide a brief photographic update on the state of work on the jog - it looks like they've moved to ground level, as well. I took this on Sunday morning from the southside streetcar stop, and it looks like they're using a welding torch or something - that spot of light in the shadows just left of the blue tarps. Not entirely sure what for yet, though.

dufferinjogwelding.jpg

I've been by there a couple of times this week on the streetcar. I saw the welding, and the next time I went by, there were two welded blocks of metal tubing fastened to the stone wall of the underpass, with threaded metal rods coming downward at an angle out of the wall and bolted to them. A third rod was protruding out of a hole, apparently ready to be fastened. Looks like some kind of bracing.

Back