News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Interesting proposal. I think a streetcar on Dufferin would be great.

FYI the TDSB is currently going through a process to sell Kent PS (the school at the corner of Bloor and Dufferin with the tennis courts in your aerial shot) and also Bloor Collegiate which is just west of the tennis courts, so there will likely be a lot of development on this corner over the next 3-7 years.

Would be great to incorporate provisions for any subway and transit connection upgrades at this corner while the changes are happening.

If you want more info on the TDSB's plans, check out this link:
http://www.tdsb.on.ca/_site/ViewItem.asp?siteid=10118&menuid=25037&pageid=21667

If the school gets sold, the mall might get expanded, but I'm not sure. I will say though that a streetcar line on Dufferin sounds good considering they have existing tracks south of Queen and foundations being set under the soon-to-be bridge. TTC must take advantage of that, and besides the 29 is crowded enough as it is, even during off-peak hours.

I think Dufferin is a great candidate for a new streetcar. Although I'd be sad to see that school go. It's quite nice.

I think Dufferin is a great candidate for a new streetcar. Although I'd be sad to see that school go. It's quite nice.

I went to that school.

Yes Dufferin needs an LRT line years ago, but that Jog didn't help.

Taking it north is not going to be easy and will require on street parking been remove, tunneling from Dupont to north of St Clair due to grade issue, tunneling or elevated section between Rogers Rd and Eglinton due to the hills.

Where it stop is a good question as ridership is still high going up to Lawrence Ave. Lawrence is where I would stop it based on today ridership.

Wilson would mean a single seat ride with no transfer for those going north of Lawrence. If it went to Wilson, then Lawrence would be the main turn back point as well Eglinton since you would not need all those LRT's going the whole route.

Jan 11-10:

The tracks have been shifted from the CP bridges and now on top of the new underpass and in operation.

The support framing was almost installed on the north side today.

The CP bridges south ends are now being support of the support frames.

Crews were working on one of CP bridges in stripping it at top level.

All the existing rails and ties are gone for the tracks..

Looks like the existing support wall will come down next month after the excavation starts where the new bridge stop.
IMG_jan-11-10-0075.jpg

IMG_jan-11-10-0076.jpg

IMG_jan-11-10-0077.jpg

IMG_jan-11-10-0078.jpg

IMG_jan-11-10-0087.jpg

raise the roof

got a memo posted at our division that on the weekend of january 23-24, queen st will be closed at dufferin in order to hydraulically raise the bridge up to its new height. the jacks and bridge steel truss risers are already sitting on the scaffolding on the north side of the street. it also sounded like the streetcar wires will be temporarily removed from the dufferin st corner. soon we may be able to see daylight looking north

got a memo posted at our division that on the weekend of january 23-24, queen st will be closed at dufferin in order to hydraulically raise the bridge up to its new height. the jacks and bridge steel truss risers are already sitting on the scaffolding on the north side of the street. it also sounded like the streetcar wires will be temporarily removed from the dufferin st corner. soon we may be able to see daylight looking north

Yep, constructions signs have already gone up at Dufferin and King warning people about it.

Jan 23 Visited

They had all 3 bridges raised when I hit the site after 9:30am on Sat, but still need to go higher. All 3 were lifted at the same time.

The north ends is off the wall and will allow the building of the new support beam. Ground is stake out to start the excavation to allow the building of the support walls.
IMG_jan-23-10-0052.jpg

IMG_jan-23-10-0042.jpg

IMG_jan-23-10-0049.jpg

IMG_jan-23-10-0038.jpg

Drum, any idea why they removed the brush on that slope on the north side of Queen?

Got to dig the area up to put in the retaining/underpass wall.

You need room to setup the form work for the underpass.

It would be a good time to build a retaining wall be side the tracks to allow better use of the excess land.

Once the wall is built, it has to be waterproft before back filling can take place.

It will help in rebuilding the rail base bed since it hasn't been touch since it was built in the first place and it would be today standards.

Got to dig the area up to put in the retaining/underpass wall.

You need room to setup the form work for the underpass.

It would be a good time to build a retaining wall be side the tracks to allow better use of the excess land.

Once the wall is built, it has to be waterproft before back filling can take place.

It will help in rebuilding the rail base bed since it hasn't been touch since it was built in the first place and it would be today standards.

Thanks, drum!

I guess I should have asked why they'd have to come out that far.

Back