39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

20 November 2010:

dsc01845h.jpg

Glazing looks like poo...:(

dsc01847jp.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah well, I don't think any of us actually believed that anything resembling the historic facades would be reconstructed here. That's something that only Europeans seem to be capable of doing.

Yeah well, I don't think any of us actually believed that anything resembling the historic facades would be reconstructed here. That's something that only Europeans seem to be capable of doing.

Yes, it's a strange reality that precise rebuilding seems to be treated as such an impossibility here. But a red brick facade rather than precast would have been so much better for this building.

Geez, guys, there *is* no facade yet, and you're already critiquing it.

The rendering is very telling.

^ WTF Man! The slim building in the last photo isn't even finished construction yet and somebody already tagged the brand new brickwork on the front! Whoever did that deserves all the karma that falling off a bridge/hoarding/rooftop while tagging will bring them someday.

Last edited:
If anything the developer should be the one to take the blame. What a piece of crap. Can't believe the city allowed this to replace heritage buildings.

If anything the developer should be the one to take the blame. What a piece of crap. Can't believe the city allowed this to replace heritage buildings.

Well, I'm not sure it's quite fair to say this *replaced* heritage buildings. The heritage buildings were replaced by a fire, which in turn was replaced by a pile of rubble. That's what got replaced here. And seen in that light, this is still an improvement over a pile of rubble.

Well, I'm not sure it's quite fair to say this *replaced* heritage buildings. The heritage buildings were replaced by a fire, which in turn was replaced by a pile of rubble. That's what got replaced here. And seen in that light, this is still an improvement over a pile of rubble.

They are replacing heritage buildings, though no evidence suggests it was a deliberate replacement. If we went by your explanation, deliberate demolition and redevelopment of a heritage building would ultimately amount to the new building replacing the demolition rubble.

Scaffolding was coming down today to finally reveal parts of the facade. I daresay the haters in the house might be tempted to set aside the hate and appreciate a job well done.

Scaffolding was coming down today to finally reveal parts of the facade. I daresay the haters in the house might be tempted to set aside the hate and appreciate a job well done.

Is this a bait and switch or are you being serious about it looking good?

Well, everyone will have to judge that for themselves, but I think it looks quite decent and congruous. Most the facade is actually a cream-coloured brick, framed by pre-cast doodads which (again, in my very humble opinion) aren't offensive at all.

Anyway, here's a cell phone pic from this morning:

attachment.php

Looks pretty good to me! I don't think the average person will even be able to tell that a section of buildings burned down in this spot once everything gets filled in with new development.

Dukes probably burned down this block, collected on the huge insurance claim, expanded their building 4-fold and got a brand spanking new building out of it - not to mention a lot more leasable square footage..

Either way, I refuse to buy anything from these A-H's.

Back